Register UT3 Retail Key With Steam

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Aren't you the guy that deleted all of your local cache before restarting Steam?

I certainly don't remeber doing this, I remember clearing the registery file one day before it actually worked, Steam had the time to re-create another. If that ever matters?

Yes, silly Steam. I really don't care how it happened actually, the point is Steam downloaded the game silently, there was no indication Steam was actually downloading the whole 8 GB.

Oh and welcome to the forums. :wavey:

zarathustra

Seen things you people wouldn't believe
Feb 3, 2009
Nr. Stonehenge
www.abovegod.com
Oops.

Yeah, I apologise. Looking back, that was some other nub. ;) I don't really see the point of linking the directories tho' - just drag'n'drop (& check read status for the whole chunk). A quick verify & some redistributables (300-400mb iirc) & you're good to go.

Thank you for the welcome. As a complete nub to UT3, are there any servers I ought to be hanging out in for a good spanking?

:lol:

Last edited:

[SD]JunGLe+=

Sine Deceptii
Feb 1, 2009
loluz3.gif

5 minutes to see the UT3 splashscreen, on Vista x64 every single time, Priceless....

Thank you for the welcome. As a complete nub to UT3, are there any servers I ought to be hanging out in for a good spanking?:lol:
Welcome !

Laggy good or even playing field good ?
"Laggy" = pugs since anticheats became taboo in UT world.
occasionally/almost even playing field = pubs
;)

Last edited:

[SD]JunGLe+=

Sine Deceptii
Feb 1, 2009
I have Windows 7 64bit and it doesn't take me that long.
Vista thinks the app has stalled and throws popup warnings at me half the time. What would you say are the "norm" in game launch times ?
Ive used the mklink command to create a junction successfully...had immediate success with the cache verification ...skipped the steam download on cue. I'm really trying to like Steam...

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Really? :eek:

I must add that to the list of reasons why I don't use Steam. :)
No, and what he's getting at is that launching the game through Steam doesn't take any longer than launching it through the regular old shortcut.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
IronMonkey, if you want to stop and start Steam each time you play a game, then you're missing out on some of the functionality of the app. Having said that, it takes maybe thirty seconds - tops - to launch Steam. And like Brizz says, it doesn't take any longer to launch the game executable through Steam than it would through any other shortcut.

Some people still seem to have a strange aversion to Steam and they typically fall into one of three categories: doesn't play online, hyper-fanatical about running apps in the background, never tried it/tried when it was first launched. If that's you, then okay, whatever. If not, then it's really worth a try.

shoptroll

Jan 21, 2004
No, and what he's getting at is that launching the game through Steam doesn't take any longer than launching it through the regular old shortcut.

Yeah should've elaborated on that. I figured it was kind of implied given my system specs in my sig...

TheIronKnuckle

What the hell is this "ballin" thing?
Some people still seem to have a strange aversion to Steam and they typically fall into one of three categories: doesn't play online, hyper-fanatical about running apps in the background, never tried it/tried when it was first launched. If that's you, then okay, whatever. If not, then it's really worth a try.
You pretty much just summed me up! :lol:

I probably would be able to appreciate steam more, but valve pissed me off so much by making it necessary to be connected to the internet just to play an offline game. Offline mode does not work with valve developed games. i've been forced to use steam just to play portal, HL2, and the half life 2 episodes, but the fact that i always have to be connected to the internet is actually an issue, the phone in my house is used quite a lot and whenever it gets picked up the internet bombs out. That means no single player goodness for me, especially sicne the females of my family can talk for hours on the phone.

[SD]JunGLe+=

Sine Deceptii
Feb 1, 2009
My question is :
For those running Steam smoothly, did you leave your original Documents\MyGames\UT3 files in place when going through the process of junctioning the original install files to the SteamApps\Common folder and verifying cache integrity?

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
I didn't junction anything. I just dragged my UT3 folder (the install - not the My Documents UT3 folder) into Steam Apps, verified files through Steam, registered the key and it downloaded a few things that took maybe a minute.

[SD]JunGLe+=

Sine Deceptii
Feb 1, 2009
I think I'm going to reinstall Steam from scratch, but first wish to play a little bit with just the original retail install. Will "rmdir directoryname" be the best way to delete my symbolic link in my SteamApps folder ? Or is a standard add/remove programs Steam uninstall sufficient to be able to launch my retail install again ?

zarathustra

Seen things you people wouldn't believe
Feb 3, 2009
Nr. Stonehenge
www.abovegod.com
Rhubarb

I didn't junction anything. I just dragged my UT3 folder (the install - not the My Documents UT3 folder) into Steam Apps, verified files through Steam, registered the key and it downloaded a few things that took maybe a minute.

hal, I've been trying to tell peeps that that's the most sensible (and easiest) way of doing it. One additional step some might need is to ensure that the directory structure is not set to 'read only'. Couldn't be easier...

I probably would be able to appreciate steam more, but valve pissed me off so much by making it necessary to be connected to the internet just to play an offline game. Offline mode does not work with valve developed games. i've been forced to use steam just to play portal, HL2, and the half life 2 episodes, but the fact that i always have to be connected to the internet is actually an issue, the phone in my house is used quite a lot and whenever it gets picked up the internet bombs out. That means no single player goodness for me, especially sicne the females of my family can talk for hours on the phone.

Two things:
1 - Of course you can play in offline mode in Steam games. Simply toggle the online/offline setting in your prefs (D'oh!).
2 - You sound like you're on some form of DSL. A simple filter attached to the line would ensure that you & your womenfolk can use the line simultaneously. Didn't your ISP supply you with a couple for free? I could be wrong though - you might still be on dial-up. :crazydance:

Last edited: