Major UT3 Update Details

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

elmuerte

Master of Science
Jan 25, 2000
the Netherlands
elmuerte.com
Doesn't Gears 2 use UE3.5? Or at least I think that's what they're calling it.
Repeat after me: There is no UE3.5

Gears of War 2 uses UE3. But a much more improved/newer version that the one used by UT3, which on its turn was an much more improved version that the one used for Gears of War 1.

Epic releases a new "stable" UE3 release every month (or so). If you were to number those releases then the latest UE3 release would be 3.40 or something.

UE2.5 was a fluke

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
The Linux version of UT2004 already worked like that, separating user content (settings and downloaded maps) from the base game. It has nothing to do with why the Linux version hasn't been released yet.

It's silly to say there is no reason for the separate directories. There is a very obvious reason. Games shouldn't be special; they should be treated like every other program. And that means having them install to Program Files or similar, and have any other content placed in the user directories. While the file layout inside My Games/Unreal Tournament 3 is rather convoluted, it is placed there for good reason.

Additionally, pretty much all custom content can be placed in the main UT3 directory if you want.
In some cases, yes. In some other cases, no. If you have low space on the partition where your Documents are located (who gives extra space for Documents partition over at WinXP?), you couldn't even install it. Luckily, there's a way of moving the My Documents folder in WinXP - but it's not fully implemented in Win7, and that's really not good!

If they do all of this, I think they should also put out a new and improved Demo.
True! They would have no use of an old demo now... And the Demo would gives us some more of the DemoGuy :D

Not true, Vista and XP have not my documents, XP has, but Vista has users/ etc and it is stil being installed there. Besides UT3 gives opportunity for multi user treatment, which is betetr than old games and the filesystem is better evolution in fact, it only takes time to get used to, but separate configs and all those things, it's step further in fact...
Separate configs are sometimes good, but if you have one PC and a number of OSs, and you use the same OSs for accessing your files, you have to deal with all those user data and such...

The only thing that would complete this is if they included XMP. :D:D:D:D
+1. Even better if it was "the way it's meant to be" or, excellently, both!

Sorry, wrong :)

The way it works now is much more like Linux. In Linux you would typically install something to /opt/games, /usr/local/games, or something of that nature, then all of your personal files would go in /home/username/.gamename/*. That's because you likely wouldn't (and probably shouldn't) have write access to the location that the game is installed in. Ever since the Unreal Linux installer came out it has worked this way for Linux Unreal games, because they are written by Ryan Gordon and he is not an idiot.
:con: That depends on the distros. And just like I've said before, that wouldn't be of much use if they're on different partitions and they have different amount of available space. That way optimisation get a lot harder: how do you know which partition has to be bigger, if you store data on both? Plus, the data in Game would have default files, so a few GB, and the data in Users would also have the same amount of disk usage for custom content... However, if they do make it so all programs would use a scheme like this, then sure, it might be worth it, but seeing nothing but some "My Games" folder in My Documents isn't the best way you could handle it... Either way, it should have an option of where to install both sets of folders and estimated size that will be needed for it (including the space that you will possibly need in the future).

The list looks impressive and it is good news,but are little things like swap fire mode per weapon too much to ask for?Am I the only one who has used that over the years?

At any rate even if the game ends up being patched (errr expanded) up to a polished state we still need players.All of it means nothing if it is not enough to sway players into giving it a second chance.

Lets hope it's enough and it in fact do everything the list claims.
Look at all the people only in this thread! If all BU goes back to UT3, we can be sure that others will too.

It's better late than never.

As I can see from more of the comments this is a good thing. I really want to pick UT3 up again but I find myself missing so many things from previous games. Hopefully when this update is released Midway may look at re-releasing the retail version so it's got the updates and pushing it a bit more, this way people like myself who currently own it will be able to spread good words out to people about it and they can pick it up.
A re-release isn't needed, you can still get UT3 from the Internet (like Steam). Although I have to agree that a Special Edition would be a bandwidth saver for both servers and clients - it should include the patch and everything needed.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
:con: That depends on the distros.
No, it doesn't.
And just like I've said before, that wouldn't be of much use if they're on different partitions and they have different amount of available space. That way optimisation get a lot harder: how do you know which partition has to be bigger, if you store data on both? Plus, the data in Game would have default files, so a few GB, and the data in Users would also have the same amount of disk usage for custom content...
In Linux you would "know" because that is the way all user space applications work. Most of the time people are running out of space on their primary partition in Windows because they didn't make it large enough to even handle the regular Windows+user space stuff. Every application you install puts some data on your primary drive, whether you like it or not.
However, if they do make it so all programs would use a scheme like this, then sure, it might be worth it, but seeing nothing but some "My Games" folder in My Documents isn't the best way you could handle it... Either way, it should have an option of where to install both sets of folders and estimated size that will be needed for it (including the space that you will possibly need in the future).
How could they even possibly estimate that? By the time UT2004's life ended, some people have 60gb folders. If you really don't have enough room on your primary partition, it is probably time to rethink your partitioning structure, as games and software that uses the user space are only likely to become more frequent, not less.

cooloola

A good samaritan
Dec 31, 2005
Repeat after me: There is no UE3.5

Gears of War 2 uses UE3. But a much more improved/newer version that the one used by UT3, which on its turn was an much more improved version that the one used for Gears of War 1.

Epic releases a new "stable" UE3 release every month (or so). If you were to number those releases then the latest UE3 release would be 3.40 or something.

UE2.5 was a fluke
Ok, during the last GDC some people on the intrawebz were calling the build demonstrated there UE3.5.

Sjosz

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Dec 31, 2003
Edmonton, AB
www.dregsld.com
Ok, during the last GDC some people on the intrawebz were calling the build demonstrated there UE3.5.

Then those some people are wrong. UE3 doesn't stand still as a development platform. Gears2's engine version, like elmuerte said, is a product of building improvements on the UT3 engine version, which came into being because they built improvements on the Gears1 engine version.

Last edited:

H3D_Sniper

Jan 15, 2009
www.hedsteem.com
Still no fix for the broken vehicle & 'static' defence turrets, one of my major Warfare gripes.

What do you mean by static defence turrets? They just have to be correctly setup in the map. I've played on numerous VCTF maps where they work fine. If you want to see what I mean, check out the new VCTF-ActionCity_RE (Epic forums link). The turrets work fine and can move around the base.

I'm not exactly sure what your talking about the broken vehicles?

Amen. We're still fraggin' along. This will, hopefully, fix some of the annoyances that we are having with the running of servers.

+1 on adding back the ability to throw weapons

A

A Very Wise Man

Einstein didnt talk to women, he was to busy making ut99. Newton expanded on this theory and ut2003/4 was created.Somewhere along the line Bush got his hands on it, thus ut3 was made.Now Obama wants to fix everything with this "expansion".

shoptroll

Jan 21, 2004
Then those some people are wrong. UE3 doesn't stand still as a development platform. Gears2's engine version, like elmuerte said, is a product of building improvements on the UT3 engine version, which came into being because they built improvements on the Gears1 engine version.

Valve handles the Source engine in the same way. That engine has seen a ton of improvements since HL2, and Valve has been going through their previous games and introducing newer features into them. HL2 was upgraded with HDR lighting for the Orange Box 360 release. TF2 will soon get the multi-core optimizations that were made for L4D.

Now this is a very good sign indeed. This thread has over 12,000 views in the 2 days it's been posted. That means lots of folks are interested in UT3. This is a very good thing.

Or someone has been hitting the F5 key a lot.

Severin

Feb 8, 2008
H3D_Sniper...

I'm not exactly sure what your talking about the broken vehicles?
The bug where the turrets inner reticle disappears and the shots go off at bizarre angles. Caused by firing up at ledges or past interveaning obstacles.

It effects vehicle and 'static' turrets as I said.

Bugs 26 & 27 in Nightmare85's rather good bug list.

Last edited:

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
No, it doesn't.

In Linux you would "know" because that is the way all user space applications work. Most of the time people are running out of space on their primary partition in Windows because they didn't make it large enough to even handle the regular Windows+user space stuff. Every application you install puts some data on your primary drive, whether you like it or not.

How could they even possibly estimate that? By the time UT2004's life ended, some people have 60gb folders. If you really don't have enough room on your primary partition, it is probably time to rethink your partitioning structure, as games and software that uses the user space are only likely to become more frequent, not less.

Surely they can't tell you "you need 1 456 654 554 bytes for this installation on C, and the same amount on D", but it should give you *approximate* values. Now they give nothing at all. And no, not all programs write something to C, for example, look at any earlier UTs. All they need to run is a RegFix, which adds, say, 20 bytes of space, that's all. And UT99 (or at least U1) doesn't even need that.

Plus, I'm trying to reinstall UT3 demo and I can't. It says "not enough space" even though I have tons on another drive. Why? Because of Ageia? Why does it install in C, although I explicitly set it to install on D? And people report that Ageia is only needed for the Ageia maps, which are few, so why all this hassle anyway? And I'm not the only person to deal with these kind of problems:
http://www.gamehourz.com/UT3-Install-Problem-ftopict205537.html
Looks like I'll have to either go over to Windows 7 and install from there, or, as you said, "rethink your partitioning structure", which means wasted space that lies in system partitions without any use.

Severin

Feb 8, 2008
You can always change the location of 'My Documents' so it does not sit on the system partition.

decayed

Apr 8, 2008
Originally Posted by Kharnellius View Post
"Increased radius/volume of Manta, Raptor, and Viper engines."

Any idea what this means? Is this purely a visual change

I think it means there won't be anymore silent Mantas running you over from behind without you knowing until they're within 5 feet of you.

UnrealGrrl

Enemy flag carrier is Her!
Jun 16, 2000
www.unrealgrrl.com

As I can see from more of the comments this is a good thing. I really want to pick UT3 up again but I find myself missing so many things from previous games. Hopefully when this update is released Midway may look at re-releasing the retail version so it's got the updates and pushing it a bit more, this way people like myself who currently own it will be able to spread good words out to people about it and they can pick it up.

well ive been playing UT3 since it released, but youre right on this...

seriously, as happy as i'll be for all the fixes and content - if they don't repackage and resell the retail version to generate new players, theres really almost no point to any of this.

I don't think the voice stuff/speech binder is going to be in the patch :(. Our only hope is the Titan Pack.

thats kinda what I am hoping for - that they make character modding fun again - cause right now theres no reason to create models when they cant be used online/seen by or heard by other players. We really need a voice selection menu in the character select screen at minimum, but Voice Pack support being totally missing is real sad. So hopefully the Titan pack will help Character Models get made and used again with some support there.

I'm a bit boggled how a complete Speech Binder is not in the patch though it said the patch list is not complete ... so that gives us hope :)

Last edited: