Major UT3 Update Details

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Latent Image

Bring the rain!
Jun 3, 2001
Zer0's Anus
I sense a "Fail to Patch" incoming, followed by a "blame Midway (or lack thereof)" excuse. :D

If even half of this stuff makes it to my install directory it just proves that the whining was all worth it. I mean look at that list. It's not a patch, it's a year or more of game development that should have been done prior to release.

..hey, only about 2 months 'til April Fools. :lol:

^WTF

Wander

kittens give Morbo gas
Aug 11, 2008
Comparing them to a FPS is utterly stupid anyway though.
Comparing those old-school games to recent games is entirely pointless, because nowadays games are infinitely more complex than they used to be about ten years ago. I'm sure finding/fixing bugs was a lot easier back then than it is now.

Anyway, I can't wait to see how this patch will turn out :)

Last edited:

elmuerte

Master of Science
Jan 25, 2000
the Netherlands
elmuerte.com
* elmuerte takes out his impressive Cristal ball and foresees an massive flame and troll infested UT3 patch 2.0 announcement thread

Featuring responses like "Epic took X months to work on this patch, and they still haven't fixed minor/rare/not-a bug", "wtf, is this all? Epic suxors" and "in before the lock" , And of course with the omnipresent "Darkpulse is wrong" tag.

TheIronKnuckle

What the hell is this "ballin" thing?
* elmuerte takes out his impressive Cristal ball and foresees an massive flame and troll infested UT3 patch 2.0 announcement thread

Featuring responses like "Epic took X months to work on this patch, and they still haven't fixed minor/rare/not-a bug", "wtf, is this all? Epic suxors" and "in before the lock" , And of course with the omnipresent "Darkpulse is wrong" tag.

truth. but the darkpulse is wrong tag has just become tradition and has no real value attached to it. Darkpulse is a very informed individual.

Fuzzle

spam noob
Jan 29, 2006
Norway
I think the most common complaint will be that it's "too late" and "wtf patch for a game that nobody plays".

toniglandyl

internal data fragmentation : 62203480%
Jan 20, 2006
diceedge.blogspot.com
w00tage !
I'll be sure to get the unreal pack on Steam once this is released !
I already have all of the games except unreal 2 but having a digital copy is nice, and achievements are great too :D

U

Unregistered

Please epic speak with valve to let retail UT3 keys be submited to steam. I just love when i don't have to put dvd in to play and automatic updates steam works integration would be awsome.

It's a giant list of fixes that seem too good to be true and should have been at least 50% in the game when it was released,.. what's so "wtf" about that?

The franchise is still dead as disco.

You can polish a turd all ya want, but people will still say "hey look at that shiny turd".

All these changes would be great, and even I'll give the game a try if this seems to help make this feel like it's actually an Unreal franchise game. I highly doubt it will be any boon to the player base. You can't attract new players to an old game with a widespread reputation of having been "worst of the series", "buggy and unintuitive" and "$60 desk coaster".

and jokingly, yeah the whole thing smells like some kind of Public Relations April Fools joke set-up.

All the fanboi's arguments along the lines of "name a game that didn't need a patch.." fail to address the real issue that killed UT3. It's not that the game needed a patch or 2. It required over a year's worth of work and mini patches, followed by apparently "The-Patch-That-Ate-Chicago".

What made all the buggyness seem worse to me than most others was: This is an FPS. It's not like they needed to script all kinds of dynamic single player type content, or had a barrage of tried and later removed code in there from story sequences or editing. It was just another go at :Let's make a fun FPS where ya run around and click on stuff and it takes damage.

..and yet, somehow guys that have shown they are the masters at making FPS games,... managed to drop the ball in every way possible.

Don't get me wrong. I honestly do hope that this "PatchZilla" does redeem the game, and that the bargain bin price on UT3 does help to expand the player base. In short though, we all do know why this patch was needed, and we do why that bargain bin price is on UT3 and has been since about a month after release. Stop fooling yourselves, and stop calling people whiners for having legitimate complaints.

Hedge-o-Matic

Dec 29, 2000
Visit site
Wow. Now that's a patch!

I especially like the fact that you spawn with weapons from the nearest weapon locker. Great idea!

I hope this brings some new life to the game, but I don't have much time to play it, anymore. Kids'll do that to you.

Last edited:
Stop fooling yourselves, and stop calling people whiners for having legitimate complaints.

Epic could have left UT3 just the way it was on moved on but they didn't. The problem with the whiners is they always believe they have "legitimate" complaints and regardless of lack of audience won't STFU.

Even in this thread you get "Great patch!, but can you fix this..."

So regardless of what Epic does (or tries to do) some people will still whine.

Lruce Bee

Transcending to another level
May 3, 2001
Sherwood Forest
Awesome update and possibly the biggest patch/update I think I have ever seen on any game.
That list of fixes / improvements is actually quite embarassing and only serves to illustrate how bad the original product was, but to Epics credit, it looks like they've taken on board almost every complaint and fixed it.
I expect an iminent release.

Lruce

Poker

Anus Retentus
Apr 17, 2006
Nice of them to spot us some news, and yes, to their immense credit indeed. Hopefully they can sync up a solid bit of marketing to go with it. :tup:

Jan 20, 2008
New Zealand
It's great news, and I'm impressed that Epic is still putting work into the game. I look forward to it. I guess a Linux version is looking more remote now, but I'm thinking it's better to have fixes and improvements than it is to be able to avoid dual-booting.

U

Unregistered

If you have troubles aiming in ut3 you need to disable the mouse acceleration and lock the fps to a constant value in the first place. There is a lot of tutorials to do that.