I'd like to understand what could "substitute" UT?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Anisotonic

Jan 21, 2008
Montréal
In every whining post there's this talk about how UT loyalty shoudn't be for whatever reason, or how in any other market the consumers will move on to another product when the offer gets lower, which would be the logical side of things, but in this situation you have to throw in another factor: UT is unique. This explains the loyalty which is expected to be in a UT player because without UT, the UT player does not exist anymore. Because of this, whether we like it or not, there are at least two classes of gamers, that it UT players, and the rest. UT players righteously feel that players who are not loyal to UT, simply are gamers of another kind, and they don't see why, indeed, they would care about how UT fares or not which is all right. But we do.

The reason is that we know that we are the Jedi of video games. That's right. We are better than anyone else. We can hop into any other game and pwn everyone within a certain time which depends on the game. But it's never too long before we rise among the top players of a match every time we feel like it. I have friends who are OK at gaming and quite respectable at what they play, but when they see me play UT they don't understand how I killed that guy so fast when I barely even knew where he was. They don't even wanna play because they fear you! They know it's pointless to even try to live for more than the time it takes to meet the enemy.

I'm talking right now of those of us who have been playing UT for a long time. We have not such a good memory of it, but boy, we did suck pretty bad before we started playing UT. In time, UT has sharpened our reflexes, hand-eye/ear coordination, aiming precision and other necessary skills needed to pwn someone like nothing else could ever have. And the times that I have spent not playing UT clearly indicated this. It is the only place where I feel I can fight my equal. And get a good boot sometimes. Sometimes modesty has to be put aside however, we're the best, and there's a reason for it.

I have another reason for being very good at games in general today, I was a Tribesman. Yes, as in Raindance, mined flags and "Shazbot!". As some of you may know, Tribes disappeared possibly forever after it has been butchered, unrooted and blasphemed into a parody of what it was. I will never be able to play a new Tribes game, and this brings immense pain to my feelings. It was the end of a part of my fun.

Such sentiments animate the cursative attitude gamers have towards companies like Epic who are well aware that they have an irreplaceable product which is necessary because of this same status, AS WELL as fellow gamers who accept the mediocrity with a smile, not viewing the big picture of things. WTF are you all going to go play once UT3 has died down and no sequel is possible due to a tarnished reputation. That's not a question because I know the answer. Whatever else you'll go play, you'll end up craving for a shock combo. And no past prestige can bring in the future, redemption for today's failure (I might keep that one). Unlike Tribes, the UT license might forever stay in Epic's hands, for royalty reasons I guess. And if UT was to really follow the same path as Tribes, then I am assured that it would be the most terrible loss gaming would ever take. A loss compareable to the fall of the Jedi at the hands of the Sith, and it would take who knows how long before new light would be shed upon the world of gaming. Think of it FFS, the end of deathmatching! The end of righteous, noble jousting between hard-ass warriors in favor of spray n pray and nade spam. There isn't really a valid replacement for CTF and Warfare either IMO. We know very well that as good as COD4 and TF2 may be, they are but a distraction to UT. Almost relaxation between rounds. Again, there IS a situation here, WTF are we going to do? I, for one, certainly don't have a clue.

End rant.

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
The Quack series is the closest thing we have to an equivalent to the Unreal series. I play both games, Unreal series really competitively but I'm sure I could go just as far with Quack3 since the skill sets are rather close except for strafe jumping, but I'm already ok fine with that.

Slainchild

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2004
London, Ontario
www.slainchild.com
The Quack series is the closest thing we have to an equivalent to the Unreal series. I play both games, Unreal series really competitively but I'm sure I could go just as far with Quack3 since the skill sets are rather close except for strafe jumping, but I'm already ok fine with that.

I didn't read the first post because I am lazy so I'll just reply to JD since he used less words in his post, and I read it. :D

So yeah.

Warsow > Q3, imo.

Lethargy

Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra
Feb 24, 2006
That was a very nice post, you had strong and well articulated points. Unfortunately I don't think there is any clear answer... it may occur exactly as you suggest, and the arena shooter genre may die and leave a gap for those that had loved it. If that happens there really isn't anything we can do, and it really doesn't seem that unlikely at this point. My advice, just find something else to love and slowly switch saddles in order to leave the sick horse behind. If you find another genre or even single lisence, that you can enjoy as much, the death of your old passion will not be as hard of a hit. I switched to Audiosurf... I'm finding it to be every bit as enjoyable. Not exactly the same kind of game... but hey it took UT's place for me.

I didn't read the first post because I am lazy so I'll just reply to JD since he used less words in his post, and I read it. :D

So yeah.

Warsow > Q3, imo.

I love Warsow, but the last time I saw anyone in a server for it was over a year and a half ago...

Last edited:

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark
Nothing can really substitute UT, thats why we are so passionate about it, and why there's so much wailing and gnashing of teeth when Epic drops the ball on something.

If it where just say.. Counter Strike Clone 5 Of 9, we woulden't give a hoot.

dub

Feb 12, 2002
Could have sworn I saw a map or two by you for Warsow... *chin scratch*

haslo

Moar Pie!
Jan 21, 2008
Bern CH
www.haslo.ch
Indeed, right now I'm playing more TF2 because it's more relaxing though :) It does feel like a subset of UT3, except that it has turrets. Heck, the sniper can't even properly snipe because every single map is so cramped. Sniping in TF2 is about as challenging as UT3s, if the UT3 player is allowed a scope and the TF2 player isn't. The heavy just sprays in the the general direction of the enemy, only the soldier comes close to UT3's rockets - but he has just one...

DeathoX 8

Beta Toaster
Jan 20, 2008
In every whining post there's this talk about how UT loyalty shoudn't be for whatever reason, or how in any other market the consumers will move on to another product when the offer gets lower, which would be the logical side of things, but in this situation you have to throw in another factor: UT is unique. This explains the loyalty which is expected to be in a UT player because without UT, the UT player does not exist anymore. Because of this, whether we like it or not, there are at least two classes of gamers, that it UT players, and the rest. UT players righteously feel that players who are not loyal to UT, simply are gamers of another kind, and they don't see why, indeed, they would care about how UT fares or not which is all right. But we do.

The reason is that we know that we are the Jedi of video games. That's right. We are better than anyone else. We can hop into any other game and pwn everyone within a certain time which depends on the game. But it's never too long before we rise among the top players of a match every time we feel like it. I have friends who are OK at gaming and quite respectable at what they play, but when they see me play UT they don't understand how I killed that guy so fast when I barely even knew where he was. They don't even wanna play because they fear you! They know it's pointless to even try to live for more than the time it takes to meet the enemy.

I'm talking right now of those of us who have been playing UT for a long time. We have not such a good memory of it, but boy, we did suck pretty bad before we started playing UT. In time, UT has sharpened our reflexes, hand-eye/ear coordination, aiming precision and other necessary skills needed to pwn someone like nothing else could ever have. And the times that I have spent not playing UT clearly indicated this. It is the only place where I feel I can fight my equal. And get a good boot sometimes. Sometimes modesty has to be put aside however, we're the best, and there's a reason for it.

I have another reason for being very good at games in general today, I was a Tribesman. Yes, as in Raindance, mined flags and "Shazbot!". As some of you may know, Tribes disappeared possibly forever after it has been butchered, unrooted and blasphemed into a parody of what it was. I will never be able to play a new Tribes game, and this brings immense pain to my feelings. It was the end of a part of my fun.

Such sentiments animate the cursative attitude gamers have towards companies like Epic who are well aware that they have an irreplaceable product which is necessary because of this same status, AS WELL as fellow gamers who accept the mediocrity with a smile, not viewing the big picture of things. WTF are you all going to go play once UT3 has died down and no sequel is possible due to a tarnished reputation. That's not a question because I know the answer. Whatever else you'll go play, you'll end up craving for a shock combo. And no past prestige can bring in the future, redemption for today's failure (I might keep that one). Unlike Tribes, the UT license might forever stay in Epic's hands, for royalty reasons I guess. And if UT was to really follow the same path as Tribes, then I am assured that it would be the most terrible loss gaming would ever take. A loss compareable to the fall of the Jedi at the hands of the Sith, and it would take who knows how long before new light would be shed upon the world of gaming. Think of it FFS, the end of deathmatching! The end of righteous, noble jousting between hard-ass warriors in favor of spray n pray and nade spam. There isn't really a valid replacement for CTF and Warfare either IMO. We know very well that as good as COD4 and TF2 may be, they are but a distraction to UT. Almost relaxation between rounds. Again, there IS a situation here, WTF are we going to do? I, for one, certainly don't have a clue.

End rant.

You seem to think that UT requires a huge quantity of skill, but there are games that are much harder to master than our good ol' UT.
UT has a great complexity and balance in weapons and powerups, but it's movement system is rather simple (speed is always the same). Games like Warsow and PainKiller require instead a lot of skill to master also the movement system, and they're also faster than UT. Which makes duel matches much more complex.
Sure good UT players pwns CS and COD players, but being good at UT still requires less skills than competitive duel games like Warsow or Painkiller.

Trynant

Manic Brawler
Jan 31, 2002
Quiet Island
trynant.wordpress.com
Strangely enough the original Unreal Tournament still has more people playing it than either UT2004 or UT3 :D

Technically there are four games like UT: UT, UT2003, UT2004, and UT3. If for some horrible reason there's no UT4 (something I highly doubt the people at Epic would let happen), these games will remain. And UT is pretty damn fun.

dura1198

Feb 18, 2008
wailing and gnashing of teeth when Epic drops the ball on something.

LOL!!

Agreed. There is nothing, that I know of, that offers UT type game play...and actually has people playing it. UT is very unique in it's own way and maybe i'll end up playing something else eventually but i'm gonna go kicking and screaming.