Epic Gone Steam! Confirmed!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
If getting more players was that easy than the torrent-versions of ut3 should have brought in even more players ;)

I'm not that worried about my 'privacy' (I'd wouldn't be using Windows if I did ;)),
but I am worried about anything that can decide for me when and how I can use my software
ie : Steam deciding that I can't play a game I've bought because a magical date hasn't passed.
If you don't want me playing a game then you shouldn't sell it to me either.

elmuerte

Master of Science
Jan 25, 2000
the Netherlands
elmuerte.com
I heard this often... ...from people banned by UTAN. ;) (Note the Smiley, please)

A big difference is that you won't lose all your other games when banned through UTAN. Besides, you can still play the game, only not online on UTAN servers.

It is true and it is up right now. If you start Steam theres a big update window popping up advertising ALL of the Unreal games.

Yep, it's even on the homepage:
http://www.steampowered.com/v/index.php?publisher=epic

Last edited:

«BuA»Lurker_71

Thë Möñkëÿ Kïñg
Dec 15, 2002
Wha?
I haven't had any serious issues with Steam since I bought the Orange Box, but I've got Neverwinter Nights 2, Crysis, and UT3 (all gamespy) and I've had so many problems with the server dropping out, not being able to find games at acceptable pings (acceptable= 80 or less), or just not being able to join servers at all.
Last night I tried looking for a new NWN2 server to play on, and nothing below 150 showed up... even my favorite servers (which were between 40-65 ping when I joined them) were showing up @ 200 and 300 ping.

However, when I decided to try out TF2, I immediately got 20 servers in the list that were under 100 ping, most of which were in the 40-60 ping range... and the next night I tried again and the servers were still in the same range.

So I could see this as being a good thing... if it happened.

Flak

I am Gamer, hear me Pwn. RAWR
May 26, 2004
Well son of a gun.

I have to say I'm VERY pleased.

Flak

I am Gamer, hear me Pwn. RAWR
May 26, 2004
I just got the deal pack to check out how they are doing it. I'll let you know as soon as I get everything installed.

Miko

Miko No Pants
Jul 2, 2004
Flopping in bed
The best thing about this move is that you wont need to run steam to run these games most likely. Steam will provide shortcuts to run them without it. It will just hold your files in content folders untill installed onto the computer directly. Thats how it worked with bioshock.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I'm torn on this.

On one hand I like it because I like the idea of Steam.

On the other hand, they aren't making use of Steam in UT3 MP, so what a waste :( If they did that, it would solve a lot of people's complaints about the game (although it would also make a lot of other people abandon it completely).

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
It is interesting that Epic would distribute via Steam. Whilst it certainly opens up a new channel to the market, it does cede control to the primary player (until the likes of Amazon get up to speed) in the online distribution market for PC games. It probably does indicate a limit to Epic's ambition. As a company, they have shown themselves (recently) as not being very interested in operating online game infrastructure (outsource to GS). I can't see them then going to the effort of establishing a competitor to Steam. It just does not look like a market that fits Epic's skillset as a company.

Other than selling a few more copies of old games, this is probably more significant for future games.

On the other hand, they aren't making use of Steam in UT3 MP, so what a waste :( If they did that, it would solve a lot of people's complaints about the game (although it would also make a lot of other people abandon it completely).

Steam integration would kill UT3(x) for me. It would also be the final death knell for any hope of a Linux client. :(

Go&nd

Meow
Jul 3, 2002
Visit site
I wonder if the included version of the original Unreal Tournament will feature some of the same problems as the version included in the Unreal Anthology (network compatibility issues and no high resolution textures).

Anybody buy it yet? Let us know. :)

Last edited:

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Epic on steam is a good idea to me. UT2004 would have been perfect back then, since it's multiplayer was excellent. It eventually didn't work because the game was too complex and FarCry/Doom3 and better grafux omg. But having UT3 on steam isn't going to be a good thing for the guy who wants the game only for the MP. On the other side, the UE3 is a marvelous engine for every developers to use.

And $53 for the entire Unreal collection sounds pretty much given if you ask me. I paid UT3 CE $70 with the Anthology. Unreal 1/2 are not on my book though, but I thought that having the DVD version of UT2004/UT1 was awesome. Bye bye 6 CDs.

53 usd for the entire unreal collection? Ut3 must have sold really bad then.

Not wrong.
IIRC they're still far from 100,000 copies sold for the PC.

Last edited:

Chandler

Self Unemployed
Jan 20, 2008
It's about time. I'm tired of the ****ty experience I receive at stores such as Fry's Electronics, Best Buy, Gamestop, and others, when trying to buy a PC game. Steam makes my life easier, and while people argue "what happens when steam shuts down?", mine is more of a "with steam doing so well, what makes you think it's going to shut down?" With the way Xbox Live DLC works what makes you think that PC DLC is any different?

Steam is a powerhouse, and as a soon to be indie developer I'm glad that Steamworks is freely available to indie devs as well as the larger companies such as Epic.

It's about damn time Epic's Unreal Series was on Steam. And frankly it's a welcome addition.