Virtual Memory help

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Space Cruz

Dec 29, 1999
Baton Rouge, La, USA
Visit site
Okay, I posted this first on the tech board, but no one answered. Someone please help.

I'm getting crashed to the desktop when I try to access the Practice menu with an "Out of Virtual Memory: hard Drive space needed" error message.

I can play the normal tournament mode just fine, however, but practice mode won't work.

I've got a 450 K6-II, with like 6.4 GB open, 128 MB Ram, ATI Fury 128 16MB, and system resources at around 92% open. I've reinstalled, got the new patch, and set cache size to 16 MB and beyond, but still no go. I've set my VM to 256 min/max, but maybe I did it wrong on that end, as I usually let Windows handle it.

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated, I basically play SP and want to mess around with all the variables. Please help!

Cyberian_2K

Adept
Dec 13, 1999
Visit site
Make sure you've got plenty of virtual memory available. If it's not 450MB, you might have problems.

I found the Swap file optimizer on Norton Speed Disk to be most helpful. Norton SystemWorks 2000 has got me outta countless binds. Try it.

Thanatos[Doh!]

Dec 13, 1999
members.tripod.com
*I* would look to three quite easy things that just MIGHT help you out. (This is assuming you don't have a utility package such as Fix-It Utilities 2000 or whatever)
First, run SCANDISK. Second, run DISK DEFRAGMENTER. Third, try a registry cleaner such as RegClean from Microsoft. Even if that doesn't deal with the problem, they're all very good things to do. (Consider a utility suite if you don't have one...)

bullet2.gif

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Why do they put Braille on the
drive-through bank machines?

Space Cruz

Dec 29, 1999
Baton Rouge, La, USA
Visit site
No luck yet, but thanks for the responses.

I don't have a utilities suite, but I've run maintenance numerous times, boosted VM manually to 450MB with no luck, and also set game cache to 56MB with similar results.

To add insult to injury, the second CTF board crashes with the same message. I'll keep looking for answers on the boards, but I am quite p*ssed; I can't ever seem to get an Unreal game to work right, and can't ever find a human at GT tech support.

Kind of makes me wish I only had driver problems. Please feel free to add any more suggestions or ridicule, however.

Thanks again.