Surround Sound System

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

MJACK

Mar 14, 2000
Lexington, MA, USA
Visit site
I'm seriously considering picking up a surround system. I want it mainly to use with my DVD player and consoles (PS2 and GC), but I'd also like to be able to use it with my PC. Right now, <a href="http://www.sel.sony.com/SEL/consumer/ss5/home/homeentertainment/hometheaterpackages/htd-dw830.shtml">this Sony system</a> and <a href="http://cambridgesoundworks.com/packages/mworks408_jvc.htm">this Cambridge Soundworks system</a> are the main contenders. Anyone have any recommendations?

jaunty

Apr 30, 2000
One word: Sennheiser.

If you're not going to be sharing this sound with anyone, I strongly recommend a set of Sennheiser headphones. Much expensive, but very much worth it.

As for the system, copy Ballistaphobia. He's probably got the best you can get.

MJACK

Mar 14, 2000
Lexington, MA, USA
Visit site
Balli's got <a href="http://www.sourcemagazine.com/csm/Forum3/HTML/000058-3.html">this Klipsch 5.1 system</a>, right? The problem I have with those is that I believe you need a seperate soundcard for PC and reciever for TV in order to decode Dolby Digital. Anyone have any experience with the Sony or Cambridge Soundworks systems?

&

&quot;Sp!ke&quot;

Cambridge Soundworks: they suck I got it for free(well, borrowed it) , and thank god for that.. ok they dont suck but there are other much better ones out there

The one i have and im VERY pleased about it: Sirocco Crossfire, not sure about its DVD abilities since I only use it for the comp.

http://www.videologic.com/Products/ProductIndex.asp

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
// Spike :
That system is meant to be used as a pc-speakersystem.
There are no Optical inputs that could accept the Digital output of the PS2.
The Klipsch-system is unsuitable for similar reasons : there's no remote control which you definitely need if you're going to hook it up to a DVD or PS2!

// N_R_A_1 :
I'm looking for similar equipment too.
The computer-speakers (Creative DTS 2500 5.1-set) I've got don't have an optical input which I need for the PS2 (altough I think Creative's latest set does have one I think), but more important : there's no remote control. :(

The stuff is pretty expensive if you're looking at separate solution (ie : decoder + speakers) ... :(

The all-in-one packages (which aren't exactly cheap) seem to lack inputs for multiple sources. (

I'm looking for something I could connect my VCR, my consoles (a DC, a PS2 & maybe even a GC and/or XB) and possibly a real DVD-player.

I haven't heard about the Sony-system you mention, the only all-in-one package from Sony I've seen is this one Sony DAV-S500 ( SACD & DVD-player, receiver, optical input & speakerset, expensive but damn it does sound tempting ;))

The Decoder in your set looks like the STR-DE875 which in a review I've read was seen as pretty good value for money.

jaunty

Apr 30, 2000
Sennheiser official website: www.sennheiser.com

It's in german, so click on the english link down the bottom if you don't understand it.

The specific model I was talking about is the EH 2770. It's listed under "closed headphones for musicians" in the products section.

A question for you speaker freaks: I just got a GametheaterXP, it comes with a Dolby Decoder, has digital input sockets, and the standard RCA sockets for 6 speakers (including the sub-woofer).

Any ideas on a good set of speakers? Or even just a good brand to look at?

Ballistophobia

Hedonistic Forum Panacea
Jul 15, 2000
Middlesex, NJ USA
goatse.cx
Yeah, if you got the Klipsch PM 5.1s, you'd need a separate receiver to decode DD and DTS if you wanted, but from what I hear it's not all that worth it. The PM 5.1s are the most incredible PC speakers I've ever heard. They're unbelievably clear and extremely loud. You should hear the Matrix or even an mp3 on these things. Especially since I have the Acoustic Edge sound card, listening to music is 1000x better since it truly turns any 2-channel audio into actual 5.1-channel audio. It's sooooooo sweet!

Anyways, I recommend you don't go with Creative cuz they're products are over-priced, flimsy and worthless. Same with Cambridge. :hmm:

NTKB

Banned
Aug 25, 2001
New Jersey, U.S.A.
Klipsch 5.1s all the way baby. Nothing makes a bigger boom than those suckers unless you got stereo (read=giant) sats and woofers hooked up to your rig.

NTKB

Banned
Aug 25, 2001
New Jersey, U.S.A.
<marquee SCROLLAMOUNT="10" SCROLLDELAY="8">HOLY SH<b></b>IT!!!</marquee>

I WANT I WANT I WANT!

How much you think it would cost to set up a rig liek that?