We should have better trees

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Bullzeye

A damn shifty character...
Jan 30, 2001
I'm lost...
Infiltration needs better plant life, flat out... It would pump up the realism like mad nuts. Foliage effects are now sub-par after the release of Ghost Recon... :(

rgreene

frag bait
Oct 16, 2000
Don't you mean a better engine?

Seriously, for super-low poly (and I do mean SUPER-LOW) trees and plant life, I've got to hand it to the team.

Have you walked through the bushes in research site? Uhg it really tears up your framerate. Once they move to the next unreal engine this problem should be remedied. Until then, I think that it'd be better for the team to focus on gameplay (which they are finally doing. yay! :D )

OpFor

Feeling suicide, thats O.K.
Apr 26, 2001
Visit site
Anyone with a GeForce series card, and a pentuim 450+ will have O.K. to Excellent preformance. Unreal 2 has an advanced sytem for handling polys in large amounts. While UT didn't drop some un-needed coding stuff from Unreal, Unreal 2 dropped the un needed stuff from UT, and other prediscessors (sp?). Unreal 2 while rock our world.

OpFor

Feeling suicide, thats O.K.
Apr 26, 2001
Visit site
GNAT, I don't think they would release a game for such strict hardware requirements. Only a small precentage of the gaming community has the hyped up stuff like GF3s and the like. Why not use newer and better techniques for programing (which I think they are probably using from reading a preview) and get a large chunk of the gaming community too buy, cause it is revolutionary ****, EVERY one's gunna want some. Meaning a huge profit.

FiringAimlessly

NOT going to waste another minute on CS!
Sep 18, 2001
Chances are they'll assume the game will come out late enough that most people would have that kind of stuff.

Unfortunately it still results in some relatively sloppy code. :mad:

/me goes back to playing doom

unixman

[pthread] The Clan of One
Apr 8, 2001
Bakersfield, CA
www.stridernet.ath.cx
Unreal and Unreal Tournament were written in a day when most people didn't have 3d accelerators; thus, it was written with software rendering in mind so as it would be playable by people on modestly equiped systems. As a consequence to this, the rendering engine still uses the cpu for transformations quite a bit. This is the major slow down with high poly counts. With the new warfare engine, software rendering was thrown out in favor of hardware acceleration. This will allow major increases in speed and poly counts even on midrange geforce2 cards since all transformations are done in hardware.

RAZZ

aka FURY13RT
but those slack fps might be taken up with better eye candy and more of it ;)

I just retired my 266 inf machine for an nforce msi mobo.
theres so much power to spare in this thing, nothings really pushing the chips to their fullest now :D
so I expect the next set of games are probly going to go nuts graphics wise. every programmer will try to abuse this hardware power.
sometimes upgrades force the games, more times games force the upgrades :/

rgreene

frag bait
Oct 16, 2000
RAZZ: we hear you man. I'm working on pushing my Dual Athlon XP 1700 / Geforce3 system to it's limits. I've got a 100% in hardware level of detail deformation and skeletal system that I'm working on right now.

I can't wait until a few years down the road when us programmers are allowed to write code that REQUIRES fragment shadders. God I'm sick of the fixed T&L engine...

Mad_Rusher

Nov 21, 2001
UK, Birmingham
www.clanse.org
Originally posted by rgreene
Have you walked through the bushes in research site? Uhg it really tears up your framerate

if u use openGL mode, there is no framerate drop on research site, or even when zoom all the way out above the map when your dead

<--- Geforce 256
128mb ram
1ghz t-bird
40-60 avg fps