Downloading maps

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Why don't you download 3rd party maps?????

• I hate non INF team maps:(

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I only grab the good ones.

Votes: 27 73.0%
  • There's non INF team maps? Where?

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • After downloading the newest INF version, my modem exploded.

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • Limited space on my hard drive.

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Other. (post explanation)

Votes: 5 13.5%

• Total voters

jaymian

Sweet Merciful Crap!
Jan 25, 2001
I was on the Realmaps server the other day. Besides being surprised there were even people playing on this server, I noticed that we lost roughly 75% of the players at each new map due to people not having the maps. I'm just wondering why people don't grab 3rd party maps? Especially from Realmaps. Being a mapper, I'd like to know. And also, all the great maps made from non-team mappers not getting played online is a dissappointment. A lot of work and skill goes into mapping, and a lot of maps don't shine unless they're online. I had so much fun playing the Realmaps server with players on it. I wish I could do that more often:(

FiringAimlessly

NOT going to waste another minute on CS!
Sep 18, 2001
Options 2 and 6

The "Other" being that I can't stand FilePlanet, hence I only try to download the ones that catch my eye.

Keganator

White as Snow Moderator
Jun 19, 2001
PR's Barracks
www.kegnet.net
I want option, uh, another option for : "What you talkin about, Willis, I download 'em all!"

Cause I do. Get em all...once the montly mappack comes out. I really like those mappacks. It makes it a lot harder to manage 3rd party maps without them.

Barney Gumble SK

I feel like I slept in a dirty ashtray
Mar 5, 2001
www.savagekillers.com
Most of the admins I talk to (including ours) pretty much refuse to put up maps that aren't in a map pack that people can DL. The usual response I get when I ask why a map isn't on a server is "If it's not in a pack it doesn't go up." :(

RealMaps, Combat Maps, etc. should each put out at least a map pack every month or so depending on the number of new maps they receive. To keep them seperate they could be RM-Pack# for RealMaps packs, CM-Pack# for Combat Maps packs, etc. This keeps it short enough to fit in the server name so people know which pack they need to play on a given server.

There are way to many good maps out there that get NO play because they're not in a designated pack. Time for the review sites to start making some newer server packs.

Also someone from the web site should make a quick post in the forums to let everyone know that there is a new pack available. Word will spread quickly as the clan members spread the info in their own forums.

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
Other :
- too many maps to choose from
- too little time to play them all

That 'monthly mappack'-idea is good as I don't like downloading a dozen little mapfiles (and sometimes their own UTX-files as a separate download ...)
But OTOH it is a huge download from the evil thing called Fileplanet. Not exactly my preferred server for stuff.

Half-life/TFC had the same problem : there were more maps available, but the servers only had the standard-set (with the one or two 'top' usermade maps).
At least in UT one can play vs bots ...

G-Fresh

Red
Aug 6, 2001
Western Mancunia
I only grab the good 'uns, it's not worth my time to download every map that's released. If I see a map on a server, I'll grab that too if necessary.

das_ben

Concerned.
Feb 11, 2000
Teutonia
and once again i suggest that the inf team makes a mappack with the best 3rd party maps for infiltration

and before anyone tells me that the inf team doesn't have enough time, i'm more than willing to gather a jury and choose the best maps so that all they have to do is to put them together in a .zip, upload them and pimp them on the mainpage

JasonBook

American Warmonger
Oct 21, 2000
www.geocities.com
What i hate is having to play "first party" maps for 15 rounds until my fingers explode. We need to cut it down to 5 rounds and stick some "third party" maps into the mix. YOU HEAR ME SERVER PEOPLE!!

What ever happened to the "second party?" Is there a "fourth party?" How many parties are there? Can I have a party? Where's the party?

Tiffy

Back to champion the L85
Sep 15, 2001
Visit site
I too dislike the Fileplaanet setup, so tend to only download what I need at the moment. I'd love to download on spec and look at some of these other maps, but I just don't have the time to waste waiting for FilePlanet to give me the files :(

Prowler

"Building Better Worlds"
Jul 6, 2000
Canada
I try to keep up to date by downloading all of the maps off realmaps and those that are posted on the forums. So I can't give an answer to your poll.

Originally posted by -reaper-
and once again i suggest that the inf team makes a mappack with the best 3rd party maps for infiltration

and before anyone tells me that the inf team doesn't have enough time, i'm more than willing to gather a jury and choose the best maps so that all they have to do is to put them together in a .zip, upload them and pimp them on the mainpage

I'm already making one of my own, if anyone's interested. Just need to get it into a proper .zip with the foldernames.

jaymian

Sweet Merciful Crap!
Jan 25, 2001
Glad to get some replies.

I set this poll up for the people who don't download maps for whatever reason. The few of us who try and grab all/most maps are that 25% that look around and wonder where everybody went when a new map comes up online. I was gonna meantion fileplanet, but I figured, if you were able to grab the INF mod from there, what's a map? Fur, I try and do the same thing as you. I keep all new downloaded maps to my UT folders, keeping my INF folders clean. So in fact you could grab some other maps. Mappacks are good, but I don't see what the big deal is with them. The only needed mappack, is the official INF mappack. Server folk not grabbing non mappack maps, are just making up excuses. They want full servers, and that's that. A non official map can kill a server quick. But if a lot of servers had these non official maps, online folk would have to grab them to play online. I guess it's then a matter of what gets put on. I do see a lot of unofficial maps online that get played a lot. But they're those simple small maps that lead to huge bloodbaths, like teeth or whatever that SOB always has on there servers. With the Realmaps server having people on it, there is hope. Now we just need Realmaps to keep the server updated.
Jaymian

MadWoffen

Soon! ©
May 27, 2001
Belgium
www.bifff.net
I'm starting to have a relative limited space on my net computer. I only dl those who are used in my favorites servers since. Anyway, I only play online, so...

But I regret some maps are not used because of too much poly or else (like Remaggen).

Sparky_NZ

Don't Flinch
Jun 1, 2001
New Zealand
Visit site
I get them all. I hate Fileplanet, but I don't have a problem because when I download them everyone else in the world is asleep or at work. I'm starting to get worried about HDD space as my UT folder is 3.78GB:hmm: