OT: Surprising game poll result

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tetris L

Smartass
Feb 15, 2000
Germany
cleaned.beyondunreal.com
It's mostly OT, but it also affects U2, so I post it here ...

Stumbled across a poll on ActionVault asking "Which aspect would you most like to see improved in games?"

I would have expected "graphics" to win by a big margin, but look what actually won:

av102001.jpeg

A pretty clear message to game devs. C'mon, guys, shift some manpower from the eye/earcandy to the AI department!! :D

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
I can understand that, because barring Half-Life's and Legend's U:RTNP Marines the AI has been pretty weak in most fps games.

UT was better than Unreal, but not quite as good as Legend's work. That's kinda odd isn't it?

Tetris L

Smartass
Feb 15, 2000
Germany
cleaned.beyondunreal.com
I know many players who can beat godlike UT bots in DM. Even I could, back when I was still playing UT, and I wasn't a top player. However, in DM the UT bots do a very good job. It's hard to tell the difference between a human player and a bot by behaviour in DM. :tup:

But in teamgames, especially CTF, the bots play really shítty. A lot of improvement is possible here. I don't want to see such dumb bots in U2 XMP :tdown:

Metakill

Inhumane
Feb 18, 2000
Redwood City, CA USA
Hmm, lots of human players are pretty ****ty in team games too.:D

Beating godlike bots is not the highest setting. Try setting all your bots skill-adjust, accuracy, strafing, alertness all to 100%, then try to beat them on godlike. Loque and Xan aren't even that tough.

AI, yeah it still needs work. Bots should have to respond to a simular set of stimuli as humans: Sounds should only give them an "approximation" of where you are. Bright lights (coronas or muzzle flash) or darkness lower their accuracy. They should have to "see" the 3-D world the same way we do, as a 2-D prejection. This way, distance aiming would have to be approximated and adjusted, the way warships used to fight before radar. Bots should panic when surrounded and start spamming at random, like most humans (well, me at least). They should make random "bad judgement calls" every now and then. They should have attention spans, so that sometimes they just can't "focus". And they should have bad days where they just can't seem to hit anything.

On the other hand, what kind of challenge would that be? UT's bots are already "smart" enough. The only AI enhancements needed are to make them more realistic, hence "dumber". Unreal I's bots were smarter and deadlier than UT's, but they did not seem very realistic.

Tetris L

Smartass
Feb 15, 2000
Germany
cleaned.beyondunreal.com
Metakill,
the things you mention would make the bot more human, but most people who voted for improved AI probably had smarter bots in mind. We all know the reason why godlike UT bots are so tough to beat in DM is not because they are smart. It's because of their (literally) godlike aim and reactions.

I want bots to understand about teamwork and chokepoints. Those are the two critical factors in teamgames like CTF or XMP. The UT bots are so easy to beat in teamgames because they always use the exact same path into the base. Just put a sniper at a chokepoint and it goes headshot after headshot. The bots have to randomize their attack pathes. They have to learn where the chokepoints of the map are, to avoid ambushes at these points. They have to learn to meet for attack and go in in teams of at least 2 to cover eachother during the attack. When one of them carries an objective (flag in CTF, artifact in XMP, ...) all nearby players must cover this player on the way home. Especially when they approach a choke point the cover must go in front and clear the choke point before the objective carrier goes through.

That and many more things. ... :)

Last edited:

ravenus

The Heretic
Oct 7, 2000
India
Visit site
The poll results appear heartening, but usually the gamers and reviewers are first to crib if the graphics of games do not advance the wow factor exponentially.

Boogey

Talvin Singh fanboy
Aug 31, 2000
Visit site
Originally posted by Tetris L
the things you mention would make the bot more human, but most people who voted for improved AI probably had smarter bots in mind.

Imho there's PLENTY of room to make the bots smarter/harder while giving them human weaknesses. And both factors would greatly improve the enjoyability of playing bots. I hate the "awww that is just RIDICULOUS!" feeling I have when playing godlike bots. Even tho they're flying thru the air after being lifted by a pack of rockets they can still headshot you a mile away while u have invisibility on and standing beneath a lantern with a lens flare. :rolleyes:

grimstar

May 27, 2001
Australia
Speaking of AI...

Has anyone had the chance to play Halo (XBox) yet ?

The AI in Halo is fantastic, by far the best iv ever seen. :)
icon14.gif

Last edited:

Metakill

Inhumane
Feb 18, 2000
Redwood City, CA USA
You're all right of course, they could be made smarter and more realistic. For one thing, they could navigate and take advantage of any map without any pathing, imagine the time saved in level design!

I think it would really be cool if the bots had to figure out a new map just like you do, and learn by watching you or other bots. The bots would get more challenging as the level progressed, without actually increasing in skill level. You could set the bots to retain their memories, or wipe em out for each new level.

I think the skaarj had some good teamwork tactics (when they weren't killing each other!)

Apr 7, 2001
England
Visit site
Bots should have human weaknesses like not being able to see you when you are invisable and thing like that.

It would be better if they didn't have set paths to walk on because some home made maps don't support bots very well, and it would look more realistic.

LordKhaine

I sing the body electric...
Dec 6, 1999
UK
Visit site
Originally posted by Tetris L
However, in DM the UT bots do a very good job. It's hard to tell the difference between a human player and a bot by behaviour in DM. :tup:

Hah, I think NOT. The UT bots are very ****ty in DM, even Q3A bots do a better job at DM, and they suck as well.

ravenus

The Heretic
Oct 7, 2000
India
Visit site
I had a query regarding bot views. When i'm spectating and I type behindview 0 I get an FP view which I prefer to the external camera view of the bot, but when I switch to the next bot, it again goes to the thirdperson mode. Is there a way I can always get a firstperson view while spectating?

Status
Not open for further replies.