windows xp

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ThunderBirdUT

Dangerously Player
NOPE...

Win 98 SE is top for me.
I had tested with all OS..

Linux yes NICELY!

ThunderBirdUT
thunderbirdut.jpg

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
If you mean, are they going to use the latest set of instructions that the P4 uses, I would guess that they probably would. I would also imagine that they'd code for the latest directX too. Though I doubt all of that would cause degraded performance on an AMD chip, or even a P3.

Corona-Device

Oct 15, 2001
Visit site
Intel is that company that snowed the reporters and gave itself a big rep to the stupid average computer consumer.
Pentium is down at the bottom of my list of the best processer, if your going to be runnig a server or playing games Athlon is the key word. Athlon has it's new 1.53Ghz AMD Athlon chip which is equal to the speed of a 2.3ghz pentium(if it was made) but with mre stabillity.

Oh and... If U2 was going to be made for pentium I guess it'd have to suck so your FPS wouldn't go down to 10 all the time.... =P

So in recap:
Pentium=Stupid consumer
Athlon(or related)=WEll, we could say geek, nerd, hardcore gamer, programmer.

Metal*healtH

Dec 18, 1999
Visit site
why the hell they did they put out a bunk chip?
thought they would be smarter then that?
maybee they are getting fat and lazy
wile amd is still lean and hungry
or they got somthing planned for the long run

Stryker8

Jan 26, 2000
Get AMD ATHLON XP 1.8Ghz for under $300.00!!!!!!!!!!

uhm those cpu's don't exist, they have model number 1800, witch makes you think they run at 1.8 ghz, but actually they only run on 1.5

Apr 7, 2001
England
Visit site
Quite confusing really but i would go for AMD over Intel at the moment.

[Edit]
Read this from 2fastcpu.com:

Tom's Hardware recently had a video that they shot to show what would happen if you were to take the heatsink off of a processor. They had an Intel PIII and P4, along with an AMD Palomino and T-Bird. The results were amazing. Intel's superiority in this area really shined through. The PIII and P4 both survived with no damaged done to the processors. The AMD processors on the other hand within 2 to 3 seconds of having the heatsink removed, fried and started to smoke. The temperatures of the AMD processor were crazy. The T-Bird climbed to a mighty 700 degrees. With the Pentium 4, the hottest that it got was 100 degrees. Undoubtedly more tolerable than 700.

Very interesting
[/Edit]

Last edited:

ravenus

The Heretic
Oct 7, 2000
India
Visit site
Yea, I guess with the Athlon you have to have serious cooling gear, since the chip does not have the pentium's built-in slow down feature when it begins to heat up. And there are guys who think this is bad, but for the average joe who doesn't want to tinker endlessly with hardware its actually a good thing.

Tetris L

Smartass
Feb 15, 2000
Germany
cleaned.beyondunreal.com
http://www.ina-community.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=144651

Originally posted by Matthias Worch (Legend Entertainment)
Games couldn't care less about the underlying OS, so WinXP itself won't make any difference. What games DO care about (and U2 is no exception) is the drivers that are used to adress the hardware. And those drivers are provided by the hardware manufacturers, not us :)

If the WinXP drivers for your 3D card/soundcard are better than their Win9x/2K counterparts the game will run faster. But the speed differences should be marginal - definitely not enough to justify spending a lot of money on XP...

Status
Not open for further replies.