Scoreboard for Multiplayer games.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Swedix

Retired from UT2004
Apr 19, 2000
In position
What's your oppinion? How should the score be counted in U2?
Should there be individual scores in teamgames?

Why I ask is because I often see in especially CTF, players who play for their own score and not for the team.

Here some examples:

Example 1: You have grabbed the enemy flag and are running towards your base. You are hunted by one or two enemies. Instead of backing you up and encounter the enemies, your teammate hide in a safe place so he don't get killed and maybe hope that you get killed so he can grab the flag by himself and get the points.

Example 2: Your teammate is on spree or ramapage, now he hide and avoid to encounter any enemies. Only try to kill them when he is safe. Sneaking from behind or camping with a sniper somewhere.

Example 3: Your teammate is on defence. He camp in the flagroom.
He never try to kill any enemy until they have grabbed the flag, because it gives him more points. He don't care that he sometimes is unsuccessful because the enemy got backups.

This is not my experince from clanmatches but it's common on pubs.

I would like to see some different system for counting points, especially in ctf.

Tetris L

Smartass
Feb 15, 2000
Germany
cleaned.beyondunreal.com
I don't think removing personal scores totally is a good idea. It's simply human nature and it's not necessarily wrong that people want it to be known if they performed well, even within a team. It's good for motivation. That's why capitalism works so well, as opposed to communism. ;)

But at least they could make the scoring system such that it rewards you more for working for your team. A simple frag should not give you many points. Grabbing the flag, covering the flagcarrier, defending your flag, ... those are the things that count, not spawnkilling DM-style in the enemy base. The mutators DoTheRightThing and CTF/e were on the right way here.

Zaccix

Truth, by Banksy
Nov 10, 1999
London, UK
I've always thought that individual scoring in team games is wrong. Instead, individual accomplishments should be tallied up i.e. how many times you stopped the flag carrier, how many captures you've scored etc.

I mean, say, for example, someone has 1100 points. What does that mean? How many caps did that guy get? How many times did he defend the carrier? It's silly.

Tetris L

Smartass
Feb 15, 2000
Germany
cleaned.beyondunreal.com
It would be nice to see a nice big table at the end, listing how often everybody:

- Captured the enemy flag
- Grabbed the enemy flag
- Defended our flagcarrier (i.e. killed an enemy when he was attacking our flagcarrier)
- Killed the enemy flagcarrier
- Returned our flag
- Defended our flag (i.e. killed an enemy when he was close to our flag but had not yet grabbed it)

With a table like this you wouldn't need individual scoring any more.

I'm sure in XMP you could come up with a simular list.

Swedix

Retired from UT2004
Apr 19, 2000
In position
Yes Tetris, I was thinking of something like that.
It awards you when you play as a team member and not as an individual.

UnrealGrrl

Enemy flag carrier is Her!
Jun 16, 2000
www.unrealgrrl.com
yea, thats why i liked CTF/e so much... it was a much better scoring system than the one that came with unreal/ut...

itd be cool if the multiplayer part of the game came with many more scoring options that were configurable by the admin...

frag, regular = 1
frag, defending your carrier = 2
frag, defending yourself while carrying flag = 2
frag, enemy flag carrier = 5
frag, enemy flag carrier right before (s)he scores = +1 (within X range of their flag)
frag enemy flag carrier and return your flag within X secs = +1

and maybe add points for returning the flag, bonus points for defenders, like if you frag the enemy carrier while they are still "in" your base, etc.

say as defaults and allow them to be configgable would be great and then servers that want to run more teamplay oriented games could reflect the scorin ta do so! yay!

UnrealGrrl

Enemy flag carrier is Her!
Jun 16, 2000
www.unrealgrrl.com
OMG and how could i forget assists...

in ctf there should be some method of getting an assist, like if you carry the flag for X amount of time and are killed, but you team eventually scores you get a % of bonus points depending on how long you have held the flag...

i know ive held the flag for 5-10 mins sometimes and get killed just before our teams flag is returned and someone else gets the score, which is fine with me, but a 'kickback' of some points would also be cool :)

Originally posted by -The-Tetris-L-
It would be nice to see a nice big table at the end, listing how often everybody:

- Captured the enemy flag
- Grabbed the enemy flag
- Defended our flagcarrier (i.e. killed an enemy when he was attacking our flagcarrier)
- Killed the enemy flagcarrier
- Returned our flag
- Defended our flag (i.e. killed an enemy when he was close to our flag but had not yet grabbed it)

With a table like this you wouldn't need individual scoring any more.

I'm sure in XMP you could come up with a simular list.

and yea that would be VERY cool... it would be so nice if local stats were improved with these kinda scoring tables at the very least... even ppl who dont care much about stats like me would luv stuffage like dis ;)

Stryker8

Jan 26, 2000
:tup: very good ideas, it would definatly bring back the feeling of team play, few games have succesfully done it, but i'm sure we'll have a winner now :)
providing they use this sort of system

Swedix

Retired from UT2004
Apr 19, 2000
In position
Originally posted by NYGrrrl
OMG and how could i forget assists...

in ctf there should be some method of getting an assist, like if you carry the flag for X amount of time and are killed, but you team eventually scores you get a % of bonus points depending on how long you have held the flag...

A very good idea. And a teamkiller who kills the fc just before he caps, to get the points himself, ( yes that happens in ctf with ff on ), should get 0 scores or even better, a minus score.

SyKoTiK

Jun 29, 2001
Visit site
I must admit. In public games I just go for top score, which usually involves in me hiding my tele in some spot in their base so I can cap, go back, and cap again quickly and score as much as possible.

In clanmatches, however, it's another story. In clanmatches I do whatever it is possible to achieve the winning score.

so yeah.

:D

lsD-SyKoTiK

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Definitely change the scoring for Team Games. The mutators mentioned are all great examples of what needs to happen. I almost wouldn't mind no points given for frags.

When it was announced that UT was using online stat recording, I railed against allowing it in team games, charging that there would be the stat h0's. Well, there were... but at least they were a private tool. That way you don't have the guy at the end, on the losing team who was playing DM in the middle of a CTF game going, "SUCK IT DOWN!":D

Status
Not open for further replies.