Attention: WinME users

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Nemephosis

Earning my Infrequent Flier miles
Aug 10, 2000
I need someone's help who uses winme.

Sometimes when I close Internet Explorer I get an error: Iexplore has caused an error in KERNEL32.DLL. Iexplore will now close.

If this problem persists, try restarting your computer.

Only problem is, I click OK and it comes up again. And won't go away.

So I have to hard-reset, ie. power off the computer with the switch in the back, then power on again.

Of course Zonealarm is temperamental about that and disables the "truevector" whatchamajiggie so then THAT doesn't work and I have to restart through the start menu. (the normal way)

My feeling is it's a damaged KERNEL32.DLL somehow.

I was hoping someone, a WinME user, would upload a copy of their KERNEL32.DLL file so I can see if this problem persists. Yes I will back up mine of course. :)

Thanks

Nemephosis

Aug 10, 2000
Actually I'm quite happy with WinME, I just don't like the KERNEL32.DLL bullshit.

I heard IE6 has some kind of picture-auto-resizing feature to make it fit in a window or something and it distorts the picture or something. If you can disable that though I might go for it. :)

Where can I get a new IE short of microsoft.com? that site (surprise!) doesn't load for me.

[edit]manners, manners! Thank you for the file I'll try it out. :)[/edit]

the~oreca

Retired.
Jul 10, 2000
NB, Canada
Sorry nem, can't help ya there, never got that problem with WinMe.
As people tend to bash it I really like WinMe.
The other day when I was sick I stayed on it for 11 hours without crashing. I had to go to bed after that :)

BlAcK_PlAgUe22

I ooze.
Jul 30, 2001
Irvine, California
plague.vze.com
Yeah, it has a pic resizer, so you can see all of it on the screen at once. Yes, you can disable it (like i did :))

go to start/settings/control panel/internet options

Select advanced, then scroll down to multimedia. Uncheck the box that says "Enable automatic image resizing"

:D

Nemephosis

Aug 10, 2000
Do you know what it could be? and how to fix it short of dragging the computer in for repairs?

Nemephosis

Aug 10, 2000
I've heard of fdisk but don't completely know what it is.

Please if you have info, lemme know. I don't wanna be bringing in my practically-brand-new computer for repairs I can't afford. :(

[edit]you bi0tch robin, someone in IRC told me what it is. *smack* ;)[/edit]

thewalkingman

ssssssssssss bugger!
Nov 12, 2000
Quahog
Visit site
What you have never rebooted windows before?

2.3 times daily here....

Shutup SC!!!:p

Is it just with IE?

then uninstall defrag and reinstall.
It may be a plugin that is bad..

SimplyCosmic

ERGO. VIS A VIS. CONCORDANTLY.
Dec 25, 1999
Northeast Ohio
www.simplycosmic.net
Daily reboots? Yikes.

The OpenBSD firewall only gets rebooted to upgrade the operating system once every three months, the Linux box generally goes for over a month, even the Windows XP box goes for about week in between reboots.

As for running a different browser, while it may solve some of the crashes, you're still going to get the same problem in the end.

You might want to search through Microsoft's Knowledge Base for an answer.

Super Feen

probably not a skrull
Jun 23, 2001
Erection Cove
hey nemo, did reaplacing the kernel32.dll work? I'm runnin winme and get that very same problem, I just don't want to go replacing stuff if it's not gonna work

Lyndsay #2337

Squeaky Penguin
Aug 12, 2001
Visit site
I've have similar problems with KERNEL32.DLL in 98SE and WinME, when closing or opening programs, and other events. After a month or so windws tends to degrade. A re-install seems to be the only solution. :(

Thrakhath

LunarMancer
Mar 29, 2001
Kanagawa
One thing you might want to try is to stick in the ME install CD, boot from it if you can and select to repair the existing install. I'll automatically replace bad DLLs and stuff. Works pretty good most of the time and I've never had it kill the system if it dosen't work.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
I believe the program that will do what Thrakath is suggesting is sfc (system file checker). Just try Start>Run then type "sfc" (no quotes). It checks and replaces altered files, or you can just replace a single file from the Me disc.