Can I play this game on a MAC?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

I_need_help

Mar 18, 2000
Visit site
Errr... read the title.

I have my windows version of UT that I play on at home, and I want to use that, but it won't run. I don't want to get a mac version (if there is one), so I'm stuck. I heard that there are mac-pc emulators out there but they cost $$$. And since that #@$@# dog BESS censors a lot of warez sites at school, I can't download a warez copy of a mac-windows emulator (I have a mac laptop that the school gave everyone). I can't seem to find anything on Aimster either. And yes, my copy of UT is legit(my pc version), if you're wondering, so its OK for me to try to find warezed copy of UT(for my mac)

cornman

Are you afraid of corn? You should be.
Nov 20, 2000
MB, Canada
Visit site
You can't get an emulator for Mac--You must simply buy it [UT] for $15.
if you could, I KNOW my friend would play all the great games I play on PC--Poor guy.

namu

Bleh.
Dec 21, 2000
Dinae Mensa, Tharsis Regio
namu.free.fr
I tried UT under a PC emulator just for fun ... well i couldn't find the fun out of crappy 3 fps with lagging mouse :rolleyes:

Technically, the Mac and PC version are NOT the same software (though a good lawyer could argue on that) so you'll have to buy the Mac version or try to get the PC version working.

rhakka

a.k.a. Zeus, ruler o' the universe
May 6, 2000
portland,ME,USA
www.teamplay.net
emulators will not access hardware correctly so playing it with something like Virtual PC will make you play in software rendering with very inefficient processing speed due to the emulation. don't even bother.

I've been playing the mac version of UT since the demo. My fps are lower than most (course my comp is older than most it seems too :/) but it's definitely playable.

FireSlash

Whats a FireSlash?
Feb 3, 2001
Central Ohio
www.unrealannihilation.com
Macs simply wernt designed with advanced Gaming in mind. yes, Macs are good office tools, they are more stable (blame windows, not the PC itself) but you can easily run alot of apps that will also run on PC on them. but, on the extreme, most anything that runs on a MAC runs on a PC too, and PC parts are alot more common. i havent yet found out why people like macs, and prolly never will. just realise that the MAC verison of UT lacks UED or UCC, and cant run alot of mods.

Metakill

Inhumane
Feb 18, 2000
Redwood City, CA USA
I get good frame rates on my 18-month old mac (G3 and Rage 128 do a good job). You can always dl the demo version for Mac and try it, though it is something like 50 Megs.

As for why some people prefer macs: Beginners have an easier time with them because they all work the way they're supposed to with Mac software and peripherals. And for advanced computer scientists like myself, I consider the basic architecture and machine instruction set logically superior to the ass-backwards Intel processors (and imitations), and the OS'es for PCs have huge low-level design flaws (except for Unix ports), notably a lack of black-box modularity. Maybe XP will change that.

Why PCs are so popular is that they have high horse power at a low cost and, as you say, the widest range of software available. This appeals to most consumers and professionals. Why Apple is not more competitive with their products, I don't understand. Well, after all, the Amiga was the best computer ever made in its time and Commodore ran it into the grave.

Sorry for rambling. BTW almost every mod I've added works fine, and I've tried most of them. In fact the only one I KNOW doesn't work is Unloaded because it adds its own Windows .dll extensions.