No Lighting Option

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Yangsing

Aug 23, 2001
Visit site
I have a question maybe some of you out there can answer. Here's the situation:

I was playing around with the display options in the advanced menu. I checked No Lighting ON and proceeded to head to a server to see how it would look like. Once I signed on to a server the lighting option was turned back on. I thought to myself, "Maybe this is a glitch on this particular server." So I turned the No Lighting option back on, and tried another server. Same result.

I found this weird, and tried the option offline. Voila, how horrendus UT looks without lighting. Anyway, that's besides the point. My question is, Why does UT play Online not allow you to have the no lighting option on? Does it have something to do with CSHP? And is there a way around this issue?

Any answers is appreciated.

Thanks,
Yangsing "Achoo"

Yangsing

Aug 23, 2001
Visit site
Originally posted by namu
Something about seeing people hiding in the shadows like as if they were standing in the Sun's light ?

I don't know. That would be a really dumb reason to not allow that option online. Since you COULD turn up your brightness all the way to see people in the shadows anyway.

namu

Bleh.
Dec 21, 2000
Dinae Mensa, Tharsis Regio
namu.free.fr
ARG NO!!! Not the "Is cranking brightness all the way up considered a cheat" again :eek:

Further note: Macintoshes have a brighter gamma, thus Mac owners have never felt the need to brighten their screen in UT to see people hiding in the shadows :D

Yangsing

Aug 23, 2001
Visit site
Originally posted by Sir Questor=UTK=
It is considered a cheat and has a much larger affect than turning the brightness up all the way. There are no shadows without lighting.

I guess you COULD consider it a cheat. It's part of the game, and it's kind of stupid to take it out. If you're going to take the time to put the option in the game, doesn't make sense to waste all that effort.

Curious because I just wanted to see how my FPS would be effected with the lighting turned off.

Yangsing "Achoo"

Metakill

Inhumane
Feb 18, 2000
Redwood City, CA USA
Is using vertex lighting considered a cheat? I haven't tried it online. It's pretty ugly and for the most part shadowless, although their are still light and dark areas.

8-4-7-2

Mar 6, 2000
Germany
chatoicm0tarded.png

arged.gif

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! NOOOOT AGGGAAAIINN!!

Sorry, but I felt I needed to say that. I feel better now :)

Dec 31, 2000
Visit site
I was just stating why it wouldn't work on line. It is considered a cheat; therefore, it is stopped or not allowed. I am not making a judgement. He did ask why it wouldn't work.

gramps

Mar 27, 2000
www.crookram.net
Originally posted by Sir Questor=UTK=
I was just stating why it wouldn't work on line. It is considered a cheat; therefore, it is stopped or not allowed. I am not making a judgement. He did ask why it wouldn't work.

in case this is in reply to my previous post, i wasn't referring to you. :)

SamD

Hooker with a penis
Nov 1, 2000
Brooklyn
My old video card (which best remain unnamed :) ) didnt show lighting at all in direct3d. it was a terrible disadvantage because of a lack of contrast between players and world.