Finally beat blake on Godlike!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Metakill

Inhumane
Feb 18, 2000
Redwood City, CA USA
Yay! After several dozen frustrating attempts I figured out how to beat Blake on Godlike in DM-Oblivian, the dirst deathmatch level in the game ladder. For all you other less than Gods, like me, I thought I'd share my findings:

1. You can't outrun, outdodge, or outgun Godlike Blake. Well, If YOU can then my hats off to you.

2. Stay away from the front and back ends of the ship. If you get caught there, there is no way out. Just grab the pickups if you get a chance and run. The same applies to the central chamber.

3. Hang out in the corners next to the front of the ship where the long side halls connect to the room with the shock rifle. You can keep track of three different possible directions of attack there, so you cannot be surprised.

4. Don't hunt for Blake. Wait for him to follow you into the hallway corners and blast him with a shock-combo, flak-grenade, or a couple rockets. He'll usually walk right into them.

5. If he DOESN'T follow you into the corner, watch out: he is probably circling under the low connecting passage to surprise you from behind. If you catch him here he is extremely vulnerable.

6. If you die, getting a weapon can be a problem unless you spawn next to one. The RL in the side alcove us the safest to go for, you usually won't get pinned there. However, you can easily pin blake if he goes for the RL.

Thats about it. If I ever get past Stalwart on Godlike I'll let you know (I can't even get past it on Inhuman GRRR! 10-7, 10-8, 10-9, 10-0 :-( ).

Last edited:

Ve7

Rest In Peace
Dec 2, 2000
Well done meta! :)

Stick at it, but remember humans will never follow you around corners the same time after time etc. But go for it! Beating godlike OWNS. But you will need to learn to outgun bots if you want to beat Phobos challenge later on. Muhhhaha!

CrazyCougar

CATatonic
Jan 5, 2001
Ottawa, Canada
Outgun bots on phobos? That's easy... tell them to line up in the lower area by the rocket launcher so your redeemer blast will kill them all at once. ;)

If you really want to practice certain levels against godlike bots you could edit your ini file to open all the doors and give you access to each map. I did it once to play Xan on godlike... :)

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
Why is it if somebody beats godlike bots, is proud of it, announces it on puf someone else has to come in and tell him/the others that online play is the true challenge...

:rolleyes:

duh :)

Give the guy a break. Bots are bots ok.. but godlike bots.. well.. it's an accomplishment! damn it :D

Metakill

Inhumane
Feb 18, 2000
Redwood City, CA USA
Errr, human players ALWAYS outrun, outdodge and outgun Bots. At least those i know (including self :p).
Just try to do this with Phosgene or XS|Pain Online play is the true challenge in UT.

Well, normally I use brute skill (?) to beat the bots, but i just couldn't get the edge on Blake. I found outsmarting him worked better. I agree online play is where its at, but since I never tried the game ladder at Godlike, I thought what the heck. After this exercise my online skill went way up (even on my lowly 56k). I used to average about -2 :( .

NOW: Since I finally finished Stalwart, I have to say that this level requires a totally different strategy. You HAVE to outrun and outgun Kryss and Calameth. Here's my observations:

1. Stay ON TOP of them, even if you have an enforcer against flak and SR. After about 10 seconds, the safest way to get a decent weapon is to kill one of them and nab theirs. If you run off trying to get health and weapons, they will kill each other faster than you can catch up.

2. Take advantage of the fact that they are trying to kill each other. Shoot them from the sidelines, while avoiding their crossfire.

3. Their are no safe spots you can guard from on this map that I could find, but their are definitely a few spots to avoid: The center room with the thigh pads, just grab em and hightail it; and the junction to this room where the shock is, you are exposed to 3 avenues of attack and no cover.

4. Learn to get the armor quickly and safely. You don't need the Hammer Jump to reach it, their is a smaller box in the corner of the room you can use to jump onto the big crates. Do a forward dodge to cross the gap. With practice, you can do all this in about 2 seconds.

5. Thats about it. Theirs a crate with a keg o'health, but the bots almost always get it before you can. You can hammer jump up to the RL, but considering the time and damage lost, its hardly worth it. Just let one of the bots grab it for ya and waste 'em.

Metakill

Inhumane
Feb 18, 2000
Redwood City, CA USA
Fractal Completed.

OK, no big surprise with Fractal Reactor. The same strategy I learned for Novice works well at Godlike. I beat Luthienne on Godlike on the first round. She is more predictable than Blake (or maybe the layout is easier for humans). Heres the rundown:

1. Keep Luthienne following you. If your on the ground, take the lift up. When luthien follows, tag her at the top of the lift. You can also jump down and tag her when she drops to chase you.

2. Use grenades, grenades, and lots of grenades. It is safer at the top, you can look down and see which lift she is taking up, then lob of volley of grenades to greet her on the way out. If she makes it to the upper ring, keep bouncing grenades along the sides as she persues you. I usually follow a round of grenades with a rocket or two to bounce her back in case she manages to avoid them.

Thats about it. This level is pretty easy with this strategy (although lots of fun IMO:D ). As for Phobos...I had more trouble with this than any other level, don't know if I can possibly beat it on Godlike. And no, I'm not going to bore you with details of all the levels, just the ones I think require different kinds of strategies.

AriTheDog

frog steering expert
May 6, 2001
USA
Visit site
the only map i really had trouble with, the first time i played, was the boss version of phobos. where you face off against the robo folks.

it was hard back then. but now? a breeze. :)

Metakill

Inhumane
Feb 18, 2000
Redwood City, CA USA
Yep, in the final challenge ladder all your opponents are War-Machines. Phoboss is the first and the bots make kills at a remarkable speed. Staying alive isn't the problem, keeping up is. All the following levels are easy in comparison, including Xan.

pine

Official Photography Thread Appreciator
Apr 29, 2001
IRL
Visit site
I used to have a hard time with the 'bots until I realized how good they were at eating shock combos. Once you learn the levels you can just keep backing around corners, and timing the bots' arrival to blow 'em up.

Metakill

Inhumane
Feb 18, 2000
Redwood City, CA USA
OK, well I just can't get past Turbine on Godlike, but the Domination levels are all pretty easy. After all, you're teammates are all Godlike bots too. The same strategy for domination in general apply:

1. Survival isn't that important. You're going to die, so figure out how to do it efficiently (i.e. make it count). Stand in the opponents way. Make suicide rushes.

2. Learn the fastest routes between domination points. That should be obvious, but its always surprising what shortcuts you might have missed.

3. If your team already has the majority of points, stop rushing around and DEFEND your point. Its easier to defend a spot with the shock rifle or biorifle than trying to take a spot from enemy bots.

4. Try different combinations of orders with your bots (Defend, Freelance, Cover) on different maps. Some work better than others.

That's all you really need. I've had no problems beating the Domination ladder.

Metakill

Inhumane
Feb 18, 2000
Redwood City, CA USA
Finally beat Turbine on Godlike!!

Turbine is a nightmare level. And it was pretty easy on inhuman. On godlike, the bots just hawk the udamge and chase you with flak, every where you turn some bot is launching something into your face. I think this level requires a certain amount of luck as well as skill. You need to spawn near good weapons, and hope none of the bots outstrips the rest of the pack.
Here are my observations:

1. You really need the shock rifle to win, and lots of shock ammo. Getting the shock is very hard because the shock spawn location is a terrible place to be. If you don't get it right away, the bots will probably pick it up every time it respawns anyway. So...

2. Use the RL in the "central melee area". This is the area around and below the bridge with the thigh pads. There is usually a lot of action going on here, and you can lay a lot of rocket ambushes. But as soon as you see a dropped shock rifle, you should go for it.

3. Don't run up the steep stairs next to the SR spawn spot. In fact, avoid that spot altogether, it is a deathtrap. Exit this lower area on the other side of the room and take the lift up to the higher deck.

4. Only go for the shield belt if you are not being chased and you don't see or hear anybody nearby. It's also a dangerous spot (and you'll have to find it yourself). The upper area with the minigun and armor is safer. Resist camping this spot though, its not worth it.

5. Good fraggin' luck.

I just barely beat Codex on Inhuman, I'm not looking forward to it on Godlike.

ThunderBirdUT

Dangerously Player
Yeah you beat! but where is the award??

Just Kidding... Congrats!!

how about Godlike-Ultra? hee hee

I am dead with that level. :)

thunderbirdut.jpg

Mrukk

Inhuman
May 10, 2000
Baltimore, MD
Hey keep us up to date with your progress... its interesting stuff. I am actually having a go at the godlike levels right now. I am currently up to Tempest... just missed winning by a hair, but I'll get it tomorrow. Got past Koos Galleon which I was pleased about, as that has always been a bastard. Liandri is another one I am not looking forward to, as it is real tough to keep up with the bots on that one :)

Metakill

Inhumane
Feb 18, 2000
Redwood City, CA USA
Well....

I don't think I'll ever beat Codex, although I've twice lost by one-frag, 20-19, so I suppose I might get lucky. What amazes me is that on Godlike, each level can still be harder than the previous one. In the mean time, here's my advice for beating CTF-Niven.

1. Send your teammate to get the flag. Its much easier to defend. If you can't wait it out, both of you go for the flag.

2. DEFENSE: wait at the end of the tunnel where the SR is. Whenever the door opens, let loose a combo. Pretty darn easy. Probably why its so difficult to get the flag. Exception: if your teammate has the flag, move back a bit and wait to see who comes through the door before shooting.

3. Thats it. It's a war of attritition. Wait it out, be patient. You'll win eventually.

FWIW: I am much further along on inhuman and masterful, and the levels DO keep getting harder and harder.

Mrukk

Inhuman
May 10, 2000
Baltimore, MD
I went ahead and completed the whole tourney on Godlike last weekend. Was pretty pleased with myself really, as I didn't ever think I would manage it.

I'm sure you'll get through Codex mate. That level is perfect for the shock combo... just send a few well placed combos flying around and she'll be right :)

As for the levels getting harder; the main reason for that is the number of bots that you face. As the number of bots increases it becomes that much more difficult to keep up with them.