Where did my resolutions go??

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Run N. Gun

[Fü§îòñDM] Giant Map Clan
Jan 22, 2001
Arizona, USA
www.users.qwest.net
Hey guys, I could really use your help.

This is one of the weirdest things I've ever seen. I scaled up the resolution to 1280x720 to see what 720p looks like on my 106" screen, for watching movies in my new Home Theater. It looks INCREDIBLE! :)

I went to start UT and see if I could scale up the resolution the game too and all of my higher resolutions were gone! Best I can see is like 600x480...WTF???

I tried starting the game in safe mode, all it is giving me is Direct3d and software rendering. I have a GeForce2 Annihilator Pro card and the latest version of DirectX.

Currently, I put my resolution back to 1024x768 and 32bit true color (basically, where I was before I borked my resolutions). UT still doesn't show the higher resolutions. :(

Do I have to reinstall UT or is there a quicker fix?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Run N. Gun

BTW - I'll post pictures if you guys want to see the Home Theater.

Run N. Gun

Jan 22, 2001
Arizona, USA
www.users.qwest.net
Bummer. No luck there. I think I'll reinstall my video drivers. Also, I think I know how it happened, just don't know how to fix it. I'm using powerstrip to scale up my DVD movies. I haven't been using this before 2 night ago, at a higher resolution. I think Powerstrip took over all of my resolutions somehow...even though it isn't running. Oh, well. I'm looking into it.

If you have any insight, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks,

Run N. Gun

Gothik

Day Tripper
Jun 8, 2000
UK
Visit site
Maybe your card thinks it's connected to a normal TV, in which case 640x480 will be the top resolution it will give, as normal TVs can't support anything higher.

Run N. Gun

Jan 22, 2001
Arizona, USA
www.users.qwest.net
MoBace - I'm running a Geforce 2 GTS (Creative Labs' Annihilator Pro) video card. When watching movies I can run higher resolution than a standard Progressive DVD player.

Gothik & DeaJea - I think you're both onto something. I'll go check to see if it thinks it is a TV vs. a PnP monitor.

I think I'm going to remove the Powerstrip software and reinstall all of my video drivers. Then, I'll make powerstrip only handle the resolution management when I watch movies and not video games. :cool:

As far as my monitor goes, I'm running video out to an Electrohome 8500LC Front Projector with 8" CRT's, projecting onto a 92" x 52" Draper screen.

I just finished construction on my Home Theater a couple of weeks ago. Here's the URL, if you're interested My Home Theater.

Thanks for your input. :)

Dubious[GDI]

UT Server Guru
Apr 20, 2000
Pittsburgh, PA
www.FactoryUnreal.com
UT gets the resolutions from Windows. So, whatever choices you have available to you in Windows are also available in UT.

I had this problem once. My nVidia drivers were not compatible with my Spectre monitor. I had to have nVidia build support for the proper resolutions on my monitor into the drivers (and hence we ended up with 5.32 and 5.33 ( :) ).

So - basically, what I am saying is that the problem ecists with either your video card drivers or monitor drivers. Make sure you are running the proper drivers, and then check the available resolutions in windows to see if the "missing" resolutions are available there. I bet they arent.

Let us know,

-Dubious[GDI]
The Factory
unreal://216.151.124.201:7777

Run N. Gun

Jan 22, 2001
Arizona, USA
www.users.qwest.net
Problem solved. :cool: Gothik and Dubious were both right. I'll explain what happened so that this thread can help someone else in the future, as it had me running in circles for a while.

Gothik suggested my system thinks it had a Television, instead of a monitor hooked up. That was correct. Dubious described what I was seeing under Windows and that is that I only had 2 resolutions, instead of the 12+ that I'm used to seeing.

I'm using a program called PowerStrip to scale my resolution and stretch my image to fill in my screen. Powerstrip actual replaces Windows ultimate responsibility of managing the resolution of the output, once Windows has booted and handed authority over to Powerstrip. Inside of powerstrip, I went into configuation/options and found "Generic Television" as my monitor type. I have no idea how it got there, but it was there. I checked my powerstrip resolutions and they gave me the same 2 resolutions that I had under Windoze. I changed my monitor type to generic monitor 1900x1200 and VOILA! I have all of my resolutions back, without having to mess with reloading in drivers, etc. Whew.

Many thanks to all who replied. :tup:

Run N. Gun

Jan 22, 2001
Arizona, USA
www.users.qwest.net
Thanks Cornman. Between watching movies and playing UT, it is getting a lot of use. One thing I really notice is if someone missed a detail in a map, it really sticks out. :)

Unreal Tournament plays great on the big screen, as it really puts you into the action! Anyone else here playing on a big screen TV or projector?

The bad thing about it, is lan parties. Everyone wants take a turn in the theater, instead of in the office or kitchen or wherever. Not that I don't want to share, but it cuts into our playing time. :D Hey priorities....

Run N. Gun

Jan 22, 2001
Arizona, USA
www.users.qwest.net
Thanks!

Thanks, Fart. (sounds funny to say that):D Glad you liked the pictures.

I had a major woody when I first sat down to play UT in the Home Theater. It is simply amazing! Now, whenever I demo the room to people, I always say, let's go checkout some server action in UT.
:eek2: is the typical reaction. My feelings -- exactly.

Run N. Gun