Maps and personal ethics(please everyone read)

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

JonnyBoy

alive
Jun 6, 2000
Visit site
hey guys...I'm sure every one of you know the tragic events that unfolded on tuesday so I won't get into details about it because frankly every time I think of it saddens me beyond belief.

The reason I posted is this...My last three maps I have worked on were as follows. A 747 airplane, a mideastern village, and a skyscraper lobby where the outside texture of the building looks remarkably similar to that of...well..you know. Ironic huh? I was just about to release the skyscaper level, and as a suprise i was going to release the 747 map that had been lying in my computer for about a year. But, as you can see, I feel a little hesitant about any of these being released to the public. I finished yemen a loong time ago, but realmaps never posted it, which might actually turn out to be a good thing.

so heres what I'm asking...should I release my two maps, and should I still have yemen be put on realmaps? If I hadn't poured endless hours into them I would pull them in a heartbeat, but as a mapper to a mapper I'm sure you know what it would feel like to have an entire project go down the tubes.

But on the other hand...the fact that i have three maps that are in pretty similar corralation to what has happened recently, I can't bear to release them...what do you guys think?

I still can't believe how strange it is that my last three maps could be so similar to what happened on tuesday.

Dec 18, 2000
home.hot.rr.com
I would wait myself.....Im not saying you shouldn't ever release them but I would perceive it as discourteous at this time. I'm sure you poured allot of hours and effort into them but it may not be the best time for maps themed the way you described. I have a similar situation with some of mine and I don't know if I'll ever release them.

Gullonefox

TBUILDT Webmaster/Mapper
Nov 27, 2000
www.planetunreal.com
Very odd one this Jonny.. I For one mentioned to some one about holding off the DS pack for a while.. but the reply was .. "People know its comming out so I dont think it would be a problem"
Im feeling the same as you right now.. So I would like Jonnys Q answerd for the Both of us.. Jonny boy and TbuildT...

jaymian

Sweet Merciful Crap!
Jan 25, 2001
The attack was tragic enough. We don't need to be losing great maps because of it too. I plan on going on like nothing happened as much as possible. We need to just keep on mapping. I've been lazy lately, but that is my only excuse. It may be ironic, but it's merely coincidence. People should understand. If they don't, I guess they are too immature. Why didn't yemen get reviewed??
Jaymian

keek

mapper
Nov 7, 2000
The Netherlands
www.phys.uu.nl
Though the last few days have been very traumatic for us in the western world, let's face it: there are terrible wars going on all over the world, day in day out. Sometimes I see stuff on TV, like in Indonesia, parts of Russia that don't want to be part of Russia, and so on. I then think "what the **** am I doing making maps for a military mod??". At that moment I realise that INF is a military mod, not against civilians, ethnic groups, there are no hostages. It's grown ups playing stuff from the movies.
So my opinion is: keep releasing those maps or never map for INF at all.

JonnyBoy

alive
Jun 6, 2000
Visit site
I know what you mean Keek...I normally would release them...but its just so odd that my last three were an airplane, an officebuilding, and a mid east town.

das_ben

Concerned.
Feb 11, 2000
Teutonia
release them, but not simultaneously
maybe release the skyscraper map first and then wait some time before the 747 one...

Alpha_9

Infiltration lead level designer
Jun 1, 2000
Washington State
My advice would be to do what feels comfortable to you. Maybe release Yemen first (since there's plenty of Middle Eastern maps already out there), then after a few more weeks release your 747 map, then a bit after that the skyscraper level.

But certainly don't throw them away!

Fetish

GhettoBlaster
Sep 13, 2001
Seattle, WA
Obscenity!?

I don't see any problem in releasing any of those maps, and I wouldn't see a problem with a level in which you played in the ruins of the fallen towers.

Personally, I'm offended by all this "God Bless America" stuff when the US is a world leader in terrorism, and is about sentence hundereds of thousands of afghani citizens to death by starvation.

So yes, release any Unreal Map you like.

St0rmcaller

[AFA]'s unoffical godfather
Apr 4, 2001
United States of America
JB, I say continue to march, as we all must. Just use your own best judgement. Perhaps spread them out a bit over a period of time. Personally, the thought that you put into this is enough for me at least.

HanD_of_DarKNesS

Evil Bastard
May 23, 2000
Ottawa, ON (Canada)
To both JB and Gullonefox:

My opinion is that you should proceed as scheduled. This indeed was a tragic event, but we must all get on with our lives.

I agree with the others that maybe JB you should release your three maps over a short period of time (one per week), but the fact of the matter is that the genres of the maps you have made have all been done before. You don't see any of the mapping sites pulling urban maps, airplane maps, or Middle Eastern from their servers. So why should you delay releasing new ones?

Max Payne is still selling like mad, despite the fact the entire story takes place in a New York skyscraper overrun by terrorists. I think people can handle and don't have a moral objection to maps like you have made. After all, we all need some way to let off steam from all this...

ShadowMantis

Webmaster
Sep 20, 2001
Midland
www.visualsunstudios.com
Like it has been said.. we should not allow the events that transpired, effect our way of life. Submitting to change due to the events is what some say the outcome intended. I say to hell with it... Release them... It's not like you were the mastermind behind the terrorism... or were you... :p