Map cleanup needed.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
I need someone who can cleanup my map for me. It's all messed up and I get werid errors everytime I rebuild. It has something to do with how I built my level. Can someone take the map and fix it up for me?

Zaphrod

President of the Universe
Sep 27, 2000
Betelgeuse V
Visit site
This is a good as I can get it without major rebuilding. There shouldn't be any serious errors now and I got rid of the water problem. There was a lot of misalignment and many brushed were of the wrong solidity. I got rid of the little boxes outside of the windows as they were not needed and I added a sound to the fans and changed their speed to try to match the sound.

KrEaToR

(_. -[KrEaToR]- ._)
Aug 30, 2001
MN
Visit site
texture packages needed

When you want someone to look at your map...you MUST ALWAYS send the texture packages you used in your map...(ie: I need SGtech1 to open your map, because i dont have that package);)

Zaphrod

Sep 27, 2000
Betelgeuse V
Visit site
The SGTech1 texture package comes with bonus pack4 and is huge so he cannot post the package here because it is larger than the maximum file size.

The only time you need to post textures with the map is if they are a custom set that you either made yourself or that came with a single map that you downloaded.

It is generally assumed that everyone should have all 4 of the epic bonus packs and so anything included with them need not be included with the map but you should add a readme file stating you need to have the bonus pack installed but that is usually left out until you publish the map because everyone here should usually has the bonus packs.

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
Yeah several people have had that texture thing if you have all the bonus packs you shouldn't have trouble. You should have all the bonus packs especally bonus pack 4 because it actually is a sort of fix and adds stuff to the game (wire animation for instance)

Thanks for fixing it up I'll look at it on friday when I can get on my home computer. What was wrong with the water?

Any ideas what to do with those fans? Before I had them up in the cealing but then you saw then in the skybox so we moved them down but now I think it looks like crap!

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
Thanks a lot. I understand now that I need to keep stuff on the grid (i didn't do that on purpose but now I know to watch out for it) and overlaping adding brushes is bad. I don't know when to use semisolid and solid brushes though. Please enlighten me.

Zaphrod

Sep 27, 2000
Betelgeuse V
Visit site
I rarely use semisolids at all, I try to use solids everywhere except for where I need an invisable collision hull because a semi solid can touch a solid and not change the BSP and therefor you dont get those see through areas at the side of windows and such where the collision hull meets. Otherwise I only really use semisolid when if I add the brush as a solid it causes BSP holes. This is usually only at a later stage in the level when the geometry has gotten quite complexe already and I absolutely need to add something that acts a a solid but doesnt affect the BSP.

As far as non solids are concerned well obviously water, lava or transparent window texture, Fire effects and zone portals. Most of the time a Nonsolid is a sheet but I occationally use cube nonsolids for free floating waterfalls. Subtracts can never be semisolids as far as I know but I have actually never tried, I am pretty sure it is a nono.

Last edited:

Machismo

Up The Irons
Jul 21, 2001
MaidenHead
cloud.prohosting.com
Originally posted by Zaphrod
I rarely use semisolids at all, I try to use solids everywhere except for where I need an invisable collision hull because a semi solid can touch a solid and not change the BSP and therefor you dont get those see through areas at the side of windows and such where the collision hull meets. Otherwise I only really use semisolid when if I add the brush as a solid it causes BSP holes. This is usually only at a later stage in the level when the geometry has gotten quite complexe already and I absolutely need to add something that acts a a solid but doesnt affect the BSP.

rarely use semi-solids ????. I luv semi's. me = part semi-solid.

my curetn level has 737 brushes - 451 semisolids, 91 solids (!!!), 99 non-solids, 96 subtracts :p

:p to semi-solid haters (j/k :D)

Originally posted by Zaphrod
I rarely use semisolids at all, I try to use solids everywhere except for ...........

you shouldn't use that much solids. In my map preview you see a lot of the bleu stuff added. wen running my map it had a lot of see trough polys when viewing them in a certain angle. Now I've transformed all the solids that are not being cut by another solid and or subtractive to non solid and after rebuilding my map looks a lot better, with no cuts to be seen.