Is UScript worth learning??

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Should I try to learn UScript?

• Of course.

Votes: 7 100.0%
  • No.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Synastren

Explodious!
Jun 22, 2001
KU
I was just wondering if I should try to learn some UScript, if only for the fun of it.
Any ideas on the subject?

OshadowO

Irregular
Feb 10, 2000
CA
If you learn it you can do cool stuff like chaning weapons or making your own etc. Plus people who know coding/scripting are always in high demand in our mod communities..so if you've considered joining a team it's a good skill to have.

Synastren

Explodious!
Jun 22, 2001
KU
See, I want to get involved with the community somehow, other than writing (which, I must say, is VERY far from in the community ATM). I tried mapping. I don't care for it much. I am artfully inclined. Not an artist in the least.
The only other thing I can think of is UScript.
So. Might as well, eh?

barfretchpuke

Dec 20, 1999
Visit site
It can be fun to program with UScript because you can "play" with whatever you make.

I don't know if it is a good way to learn how to program, though. I took a couple of C++ classes before and UScript was still quite frustrating.

OshadowO

Irregular
Feb 10, 2000
CA
Re: Where do I find out how to learn UScript?

Originally posted by Kirbystar823
I can't try to learn it if I don't know where:rolleyes: . Can somebody tell me where to?
Me points to link in wild weasel post.:D

SilentStrike

Jun 18, 2000
Visit site
Gah, this thread made me break out the old Unreal cd and install UnrealEd... but it doesn't run :(.

As soon as I try to run it, it gives me a msg "Unexpected error". I fixed this before (perhaps with the UT 2nd cd?), but I am not sure how I did it. What's causes that error?

SamD

Hooker with a penis
Nov 1, 2000
Brooklyn
ive known c++ for a while but only recently my friends dragged me into making a small 3d space game. they didn't know uscript, i did. i knew the architecture of the game (though on a pretty high level). it has a lot of benefits

Mohamz

Super SAIYA-JIN
Oct 10, 2000
Earth!
Visit site
Go for it!

Originally posted by _Zd_Synastren_

I know no programming.

Perhaps it's a good start. Having fun while learning is the best method.
I looked at UScript awhile ago, it will teach you object-oriented programming, that's a good thing,
since the best programming languages at this time(java, c++, ...) are object-oriented.

StonedMonk

MonkOfThoseWhoAreStoned
Sep 8, 2000
NYC
www.phused.com
Fun Stuff .....if your a geek!

I was REAL frustrated with Uscript. I think it was probably more time related than anything else because I know Java, C and a few others… I never did any “game” programming tho..

I am a guy that learns by example and I was able to make the UTbuddy browser by looking at other peoples code and copying what I saw…
After that, it became FUN and the community is REAL supportive… Wanna make a UT web browser? I’ll send you my code.

:D I am a self-admitted geek :D