Movement modifications

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

DEFkon

Shhh
Dec 23, 1999
Visit site
This might already be implimented in the new release, but i think it would be intresting to add some involentary pitch and roll movements to the players FOV whie moving at different rates, and esp while jumping or falling. (esp the impact)

I was playing some old school wolfenstine and doom, and i noticed that one of the big things i had issues with was that in Wolf 3d you just "slid" along the ground. In doom a slight bob was added to give the illusion of a stride or jog but it only effected the game in a vertical sense. What i think would really complete the package would be to add a very small amount of horizental banking while running or joging. This in itself would make "running and gunning" difficult to hit targets, yet with practice i'm sure players would be able to account for it thus representing some level of realism AKA simulation.

This would also make the use of scopes while moving far more difficult to use because not only in additon to the illiusion of scope wabble ( parrallax?) that's curently in the game, but it would also actually cause the aim to be effected due to canting. Also inertial modifiers (when the player first hits or realeases a key that causes movement) the effect of aim should be drastically effected.

yurch

Swinging the clue-by-four
May 21, 2001
USA, Maryland.
Visit site
That goes in the "wait and see" category. :hmm:
We don't know what 2.86 actually does with the inertia yet.
But its obvious you know what you are talking about, unlike others :rolleyes:
Keep this in mind. We might have to campaign for it later.

LoTekK

Peon
Jul 26, 2001
Washington, DC
if this isn't in 2.86, you have another backer, in the form of yours truly... :D

ps. yurch, i oughtta kick your ass for adding to your sig... :D

Parallax or rather parallax error is not the same as scope wobble, but rather an error caused by not looking straight at the sights. Certain sights are parallax-free (aimpoint, reflex), meaning that as long as you see the dot, there the bullet will go. But with iron sights, if the rear sight and front post are not aligned, the bullet will not hit where the front post is showing. I'm not sure if a scope is parallax-free or not.

DEFkon

Shhh
Dec 23, 1999
Visit site
well my recomendation was based on some examination of the preception of FOV, and how it's effected by movement and the effects of what it would have on scopes.

When your head is canted to the side, your brain self corrects for this with the aid of your sense of balance. this why when your resting your head sideways on a pillow you can comfortably watch tv, or wake up in the morning and not be surpised that the world is sideways. However your brain can only counter act for this at a certain speed. Look at this post and turn your head to the side 90 degress. You should be able to read it quite easily. But now right your head back to its normal position as quickly as you can. You should notice some twisting, banking ect. This is because your sense of a "horizen" is more based on your ears (or more precisely the fluids used for your internal gyroscope) than on what you see, and is limited in reaction to gravity's effect on the fluids.

When a person is moving at a jog, or a run, your head, and thus the liquids governing your sense of proper horizen are effected to a small degree.

The_Fur is also correct that during a run or jog because your torso and shoulders twist during stride and thus your head to a small degree, your true FOV does shift slightly left and right. However in realitly this isn't even precived because face it, when were moving, our eyes are focused on ploting the proper course of forward movment not on the extreem corners of our FOV. It's kinda like tunnel vision.

----Parallax or rather parallax error is not the same as scope wobble, but rather an error caused by not looking straight at the sights. Certain sights are parallax-free (aimpoint, reflex), meaning that as long as you see the dot, there the bullet will go. But with iron sights, if the rear sight and front post are not aligned, the bullet will not hit where the front post is showing. I'm not sure if a scope is parallax-free or not.-----

Parallax is what occurs when your not looking straight down the center of the sights, but its not limited to that. If you've ever been driving with someone in the passenger side seat, and you glance over at the speedometer, tach, fule, ect ect, and the car is using analog "needle" gauges, your not going to be reading the right readings.

With teloscopic scope when your not looking down the scope straight you can tell very quicky ( at least with a teliscope, or even bionoculars) because you'll only see a portion of the full image. So instead of seeing a full circle, you see a portion of that circle. Obviously the best way to simulate this would be to use a 3D object, however this doesn't look very good with our current polygon limiting to six or 8 sided circles. To be done properly with a 2D bitmap you'd need to use 2 different masks. (the black screen with the hole cut out in the center). Currently INF uses a single mask that hovers around the screen. Realisticaly you'd want 2 or more, each with a slightly smaller diameter hole in the center. To simulate parallax you'd slightly move the smaller ( i think) diameter hole in the direction of the frontal post, and greatly move the other(s) in the direction of the rear post.

To see what i describing hold your hands to form a tube to look down, or better yet go find a roll of TP, and pretend it's a scope. Imagine that the closer end of the pipe is one mask, and the rear is another. as you shift slightly to the side you'll note that the front and rear ends cut off how much you can see through the pipe. (duh) If i really felt the desire i could probaby though together an animated gif to illustrait what i'm getting at, but for the time being i'll assume you understand.

I don't think the "roaming" scope that's currenty being used is trying to simulate a "wabble" like a trembling hand, but rather a simpler form of parallax because it's movement is very smooth.

The_Fur

Back in black
Nov 2, 2000
www.rlgaming.com
Basically scope gun-bob should behave like this:

It consists of the rear and the front post moving over eachother obscuring parts of the vision.

DEFkon

Shhh
Dec 23, 1999
Visit site
and your wetware compinsates for most of it.

I'm just saying that when ever you chacter gets hit with a form of shock... like when landing from a jump, (maybe even getting shot) or in a small degree when moving, there should be some FOV canting.

The bob that's in INF is pretty decent though i think it should bob differently during an all out run. and it should even bob differently for the 8 main forms of movement. (forward, backward, side steping, and the remaining four combinations.) cause i mean honestly you can't run backward in the same fashion you do when moving foward so your stride will be different.

Oh and The_Fur illustratited perfectly what i was describing about parallax effecting a teliscopic scope. How drastically those changes occure depends on the length and diameter of the scope, and of course how large the optic is thats on your end. Scopes that are long (rear to front) and skinny will be more effected than short and fat ones.

Oh and i meant to show there's a difference between what i call bob, and parallax. (for me) Bob just describes a change in vertical height, sidways slide or Roll of the weapon. Similar to how a helocopter can go up and down, slide left and right , and to some degree roll side to side while still maintaining the same compass bearing.

Parallax is caused by bob, because your head and the sights aren't linked. Right now in the game i think all that's being simulated is Parallax, and not bob.. because it seems that when your moving even thought the scope is "wandering" around screen.. your shots always seem true to the center of the screen. when we toss in bob, this imaginary dot in the center of the screen where the shots land would also be wanding in addition to the parallax effect.... making scoped shots on the move more difficult.

Last edited: