Programming lingoes

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

thoughtcontrol

Jul 22, 2001
Fareham, Hampshire, UK
Visit site
What's a good mainstream programming language to start learning with (which is somthing a little more challenging than visual basic)? I was thinking along the lines of C++. I'm 16, about to start Alevels and my college doesn't do computing as a subject so if i do want to do computer science at uni (which i do), i have to teach myself stuff. What are the good alternatives to C++?

SimplyCosmic

ERGO. VIS A VIS. CONCORDANTLY.
Dec 25, 1999
Northeast Ohio
www.simplycosmic.net
Go forth to your local book store and immediately pick up The C Programming Language by Brian W. Kernighan and Dennis M. Ritchie.

C++ will do you good later on, but learn C first. And this is the original, no bloat added, book from the people responsible for it, along with UNIX. The book may seem a bit on the expensive side, but it really is that good.

flare

Banned
Aug 4, 2000
Visit site
I heard learning C and then learning C++ was a bad idea. I learned visual basic then C++ and I did just fine.

but thats just my opionion of course.

but the reason why you shouldnt learn C was some stupid reason that would only effect a retard. so unless your retarded go ahead and do what SC told you.

visual basic sucks anyways.

FireSlash

Whats a FireSlash?
Feb 3, 2001
Central Ohio
www.unrealannihilation.com
vb works, but its a very un-efficent programming platform, not nessicarily all due to the language itself, but also microsoft's ****ty job of making a compiler. i know VB, and somtimes use it, but never for a large program.

SimplyCosmic

Dec 25, 1999
Northeast Ohio
www.simplycosmic.net
The reason why some people will tell you that learning C prior to C++ is because it teaches you "non-object orientation bad habits".

This is utter bullcrap. Object Orientation is a good thing, but it's not the end-all-be-all that some people make it out to be. Just like a tool isn't the right one for every task, neither are program paradigm (object-orientation, functional programing, procedural, etc).

There are a number of reasons why C is still used in a world where C++ exists. A program written is C is generally faster than one written in C++. A significant number of the programs and open example source code that are out there are in C.

Now, most colleges will teach C++ as one of their introductory languages. My point is that if they're going to teach that to you eventually, why not learn another, just as common, language now, especially being that most of your knowledge will carry over to that training.

Kokensu

Fire in Ma Belly!
Jan 4, 2000
Shut yo mouth!
Visit site
I'm with SC on this one. I'd learn C first to get started. But much like communications, the more languages you know the better. If you can learn and master(or at least get an understanding of) several languages it'll help your career. Learn PERL too if you can. Very useful... ;)

Limbo

Ma Monkeys been [BuF]'ed!!!!
Apr 25, 2001
I'm too high to see...?!?
Visit site
Originally posted by thoughtcontrol
What's a good mainstream programming language to start learning with (which is somthing a little more challenging than visual basic) ... Blah

?

??

??!!!

What, you don't find designing UML n-Tier DNA Applications utilising COM+ in VB a challange???

You better gimme back them drugs me lad-e-oh!!!

Writting VB might be easy... BASIC = Beginners All-purpose Symbolic Instruction Code

But writting it Good ... Now that's a different matter. You must be doing it wrong bud.

Last edited:

Selerox

COR AD COR LOQVITVR
Nov 12, 1999
TheUKofGBandNI
selerox.deviantart.com
the idiots guide to stringing charaters together that do stuff...

K, guys as we're on the subject of programming languages...

What would you guys suggest for a total begineer (ie. me). The nearest I've come to programming is some HTML :hmm:

Any suggestions?

Snipeo

Happy lil Camper
Jan 10, 2001
#beyondunreal Sanity: [|||------] 23
Aye, Im in the same league as Sel, mebbe even more beginner as Im still a HTML n00b =). Id like to learn a language though, something that I can use for muckin about as well as in future work. Any suggestions? I was thinking C++ but Ive heard it hard. Im willing to put some work in tho. :)

SimplyCosmic

Dec 25, 1999
Northeast Ohio
www.simplycosmic.net
C++ in and of itself isn't really hard. It's the Object-Orientation aspect of it that will mess you up. It's very much possible to write non-object-orientated C++ code, which is how you'll most likely be introduced to it, should you take a course in it.

For those who are just getting into the whole programming scene, I highly suggest C as a good general purpose beginner's language.

Several other languages are in fact loosely based on C, including C++, Java, Perl and PHP, much in the same way that many of the modern languages are loosely based on latin.

It's not as complicated as you'd think. In fact, the biggest hurdle isn't really the language itself, but the basic programming logic skills.

Lizard Of Oz

Demented Avenger
Oct 25, 1998
In a cave & grooving with a Pict
www.nsa.gov
assy.gif

;)

Reaper

-----------------
Nov 14, 2000
Bedburg-Hau, Germany
www.hergaden.de
Although different from C ( C++ ) and languages which are syntactically similar to C ( Perl, PHP, ... ) I'd like to recommend Python ( http://www.python.org/ ) as a good beginner's language.

Python is said to be better designed ( as a programming language ) than Perl and scales better with the extent of your projects.

But before you choose you starting language think about this:

If you take programming seriously it doesn't really matter with what language you start. You should learn all of these someday. At least C ( C++ ), Perl, Java ( very close to C ) and LISP.

Reaper

-----------------
Nov 14, 2000
Bedburg-Hau, Germany
www.hergaden.de
Re: Re: Programming lingoes

Originally posted by Limbo
Writting VB might be easy... BASIC = Beginners All-purpose Symbolic Instruction Code

But writting it Good ... Now that's a different matter. You must be doing it wrong bud.

Writing Good BASIC ( VisualBASIC that is )? Not possible. Period.