Communicating One on One

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Keganator

White as Snow Moderator
Jun 19, 2001
PR's Barracks
www.kegnet.net
Hi yalls, First time poster, long time lurker. Anyhoo...

One thing I've been wanting to do is communicate directly to other people with simple, quick messages like "Behind you!" or "Got your back". What I'm proposing is a direct communication system to the person currently 'selected' in the HUD. Basically, it would allow a "order this bot" command to be bound to keys, to help communication. There would be a few things that go along with it.

First of all, when a message is sent to the other person, it would still be a team message, so everyone hears it, and it'll be in the regular format like "(ME_Guy) Person_Im_Talkin_to: Got your back". In addition to that, a very obvious text message across the middle bottom of the screen would say the same text so the reciever of the message knew it was for him/her.

I'd like to see several commands and voices to go along specifically for this, including:
"I've Got your back"
"I'm Behind you"
"I'm Going to your left" (and right)
"You got point"
"I'm going in"
"Cover me"
"Need ammo"

And of course, anything else of use. This way, efficient messages can be made simply. Lord knows how many times I've wanted to scream to the person next to me, "cover me" or "i'm behind you" or something like that. Typing it in takes to long, and things like Battletech don't work on my 28.8 connection. Opinions? Flames? :)

yurch

Swinging the clue-by-four
May 21, 2001
USA, Maryland.
Visit site
Do you have to be pointing at them? last thing I want do do in a fight is turn around...
Would it be better if they were within a certain radius?

vedder

See This Needle? See my arm...
Jun 10, 2001
www.myextralife.com
Visit site
That would be awesome!!! I was thinking bout that, as i am a big enthusiest for voice command key usage online. But imagine someone asking you for ammo!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHA. My reply would be for that person to **** off. LOL

Keganator

White as Snow Moderator
Jun 19, 2001
PR's Barracks
www.kegnet.net
I was thinking this would be a good way to help with strategy. You can always use the standard "Aknowledge" voice bind, but if you were behind someone or to their side, you could easilly help keep yourself alive by talking to them! One person could easilly cover the other, and the person covering would then be able to signal when they want to go.

DENSRAW

Grammaton Cleric
Dec 21, 2000
Man...this was a lot more constructive than the first post I ever made.

Keganator

White as Snow Moderator
Jun 19, 2001
PR's Barracks
www.kegnet.net
See, I figure if there was something like this, then voicecomm type systems would not be needed for people with slow connections, and simple messaging can be made between even non-same clan members.

There is already a system for "Ordering This bot", and if even a this bot command could be bound, I think that would serve the purpose. Technically, I don't think It'd be that hard to implement and would be a really unique addition to the teamplay and style of Infiltration.

Keganator

White as Snow Moderator
Jun 19, 2001
PR's Barracks
www.kegnet.net
The way I see it, this would be an easy way to help promote teamplay. Even newbies would think about it since there would be keys in the binding area. You could even set up the keys ahead of time; like the "jkl", "uio" and "nm" keys for the various phrases.

Dangerous10K

Armed and as always Dangerous
Nov 26, 2000
yea this is an awesome idea how come i dont see any of the moderators hittin the

PROSCESSED or howeva ya spell it darkbls where you at?

DredDamo

Nov 30, 2000
www.damodred.net
Yeah, doesn't SF have something like this, a hand-wave and a whistle?

The problem with using voice binds or text binds is that the person ahead of you is not going to know you're talking to THEM exactly (if in a bigger group - obviously if it's the two of you already working together it's not an issue), since voice and text goes out to the entire team...

This would flash on their screen:

Name: I got your back.

With their name in place of Name, so they'd know who was being spoken to...and it wouldn't show up on anyone else's. Maybe instead of having to point at them you could select them at some point and they'd be your 'partner' locked in some variable for that match...maybe you could 'select' more than one, and if someone went off rambo'ing, you'd 'deselect' them. Kind of a RTS thing, like when you select a certain group of players to control, in INF you could select a certain group of team members to specifically speak to.

It could also show you in the voice menu who's in your 'selected' list at any point.

Damodred
INFWAR Coordinator