LAN trouble, about to kill self...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

the baron

Jul 19, 2001
Texas
www.blackdeath.tv
Greetings,

A buddy and I are trying to run a LAN game of Unreal Tournament G.O.T.Y. We have network cards, hubs, and all that. Our network is working. We have played half-life and other games, and we share files, so there is nothing wrong with the network. But yet we still can't get the LAN Unreal Tournament G.O.T.Y game to work.

My friend creates a LAN game and I try to find his game, I go to "Find LAN game" and under "LAN Servers" nothing shows up.

We have tried diffrent IPs, and this that and the other thing, yet nothing seems to work. It is as if there is an option somwhere that we haven't turned on. Half-life works, yet Unreal doesn't, I don't get it.

How do you get Unreal Tournament to look through the network into the other computer? We have tried going back and forth, I start one instead of him, it still doesn't work.

I try to "open loaction" and type in his IP but that doesn't work.

What am I to do, play Doom2? No, that won't do becuase my mouse won't work right.

I wish I could get this damn thing to work...

the baron

Jul 19, 2001
Texas
www.blackdeath.tv
Thanks, I checked it out under the "network" heading and it didn't tell me anything new. The problem is that neither computer will detect a LAN game. One person is supposed to start one, and the other is supposed to join it, but the second just doesn't show that there is a LAN game on the network. We have done everything correctly up to the point where you detect then join a game, for some reason neither game will detect the other.

We are both using the same copy of the game, its the G.O.T.Y. edition and we installed off the same CD. Is there some restriction against doing that? I guess there could be some way that it could detect that, but why restrict LAN games when modem games still work?

Swedix

Retired from UT2004
Apr 19, 2000
In position
Are you running dedicated server?
Do you start the server from in game or by UCC?
You say you have tried to connect by open location and typed in his ip. Could it be so that the server is using other ports than the standard?
Check the Unrealtournament.log after you started the server to see if you have some error there.
And you have done what it says on this page ?

the baron

Jul 19, 2001
Texas
www.blackdeath.tv
Hello, sorry, I should have given more info.

Nope.

We start from in game, and I have no clue what UCC is.

Not sure, not experienced with LAN myself, so I dont have any clue what kind of port he is using, what he should be using, or what a port is. I am a dumb ass. But the network does in fact work, other games function fine, played some Spaceward Ho and what not.

No error in sight, we checked as soon as the server was created, nothing.

Yes, but it is vague on the setting up the other computer to connect. It assumes that when you "Find LAN game" that one is there waiting for you, which one is, but the connecting computer refuses to notice it.

Woe is me...

Thank you for helping though, got any more suggestions?

Taker

UT Junkie
I don't know if you have tried this...................
Unreal Tournament uses the TCP/IP protocol.UT requires that each machine has it's own IP address.Assign one machine an address of 192.168.10.1 and the other one 192.168.10.2 and give both of them the SUBMASK 255.255.255.0.
The problems with a LAN setup and UT has been the assigning of the SUBMASK that I have come accross.Also be sure that the IP address is assigned to the TCP/IP protocol for the card,NOT the TCP/IP dial up adaptor.One other thing I have noticed.
This problem has also come up when a WIN98 user has tried to connect to a game thru my lan and I am running WIN ME.A 2000 user has no problem connecting with WIN ME.
If you have done all these things already, I am sorry for wasting your time and mine.If you have not done these things and need any help, Please feel free to email me.
:D

Last edited:

the baron

Jul 19, 2001
Texas
www.blackdeath.tv
Greetings,

Well, I tried changing the IPs and that didn't work either. I am thinking that it isn't working because both machines installed off the same disk, which seems stupid enough, but that is the only thing that I can come up with. Other games work fine, but for some reason UT just refuses to. This sucks!

Thank you.

Swedix

Retired from UT2004
Apr 19, 2000
In position
Are you using some sort of firewall or router?
UT uses the ports 7777 and 7778 as default.
Also, try to disable all other protocols except tcp/ip on your machines.

the baron

Jul 19, 2001
Texas
www.blackdeath.tv
Hello,

Alrighty, we checked for firewalls and routers, none are on. The games ports are fine. We then disconnected the NetBEUI Ethernet Adapter and the IPX Ethernet adapter. We then tried to game, still nothing. Removing those adapters actually killed our network.

This is frustrating beyond beleif, I thank you for your support. What next?

Swedix

Retired from UT2004
Apr 19, 2000
In position
You only need tcp/ip for UT to work. No other protocolls.
What OS do you have on those machines?
Do you have any other programs running that interfers with UT?
If you only have 2 computers you can use a crossover ethernet cable instead of using a hub.

B

Bee
Sep 6, 2000
Bussum, NL
www.zdclan.nl
When u start a game on PC2 (192.168.0.2) an u open up the open location menu in UT on PC1 (192.168.0.1) and fill in the IP of PC2 does it join then?

the baron

Jul 19, 2001
Texas
www.blackdeath.tv
Greetings,

There are no other programs running that would seem to interfere, I shut everything down. My operating system is Windows 98. I am pretty sure the TCP/IP protocals are correctly installed, or at least I hope. Can you run a file sharing network on just TCP/IP? What is the optimal IP that the two machines should be using?

I have tried the open location and got nothing, it just sits there forever not doing anything. How long is it supposed to wait, the longest I have sat there waiting is probably two minutes.

Both computers installed Unreal off the same disk, would that effect anything? Also, my version of Win98 is the first version, the other computer is version 2. But our network still works fine, all games but Unreal work on it.

Thanks,

Swedix

Retired from UT2004
Apr 19, 2000
In position
I don't think that the games are installes from same cd.
The other games may use ipx. That could be the case they work.
I suppose you know how to set up IP correct and assign IP adresses.
Do this:

On PC 1 , set the IP to 192.168.0.10 and Subnet 255.255.255.0
On PC 2 , set the IP to 192.168.0.20 and Subnet 255.255.255.0
If you don't use a router you don't need to set anything else.
When both PC's are rebooted open a commandprompt (Dos prompt) on PC 1 and type ping 192.168.0.20 and hit enter.
If PC 1 find PC 2 you will see something similar: (Obs, I have a Swedish version of Windows)

Svar från 192.168.0.20: byte=32 tid<10ms TTL=128

If PC 1 don't find PC 2 you will have a Time Out.

If PC 1 finds PC 2 then you ping from PC 2 to PC 1.

With this you will at least see if your IP Network is ok.

the baron

Jul 19, 2001
Texas
www.blackdeath.tv
Greetings,

Ok, I typed in all that good stuff. We tried to ping our computers and nothing came up, we timed out. So I guess that the TCP/IP protocol isn't installed correctly, or isn't working. At least that narrows it down. I assumed it was since our network was working but with the other protocols removed it killed the network, so we only have an IPX running.

So the next question is this, how do we get TCP/IP up and running correctly?

Fear the Beard

2 and counting...
Jun 10, 2000
Right over there.
Visit site
Remove IPX, then:

Click on [Start], then select Settings followed by Control Panel
Double click on Network

Check that the TCP/IP protocol has been installed. If not:
Click on [Add]

In the Select Network Component Type window highlight Protocol
Click on [Add]

In the Manufacturers box select Microsoft
In the Network Protocols box select TCP/IP
Click on [OK] to add the TCP/IP protocol

tadaaa

Swedix

Retired from UT2004
Apr 19, 2000
In position
I take it from the beginning.

First you must install TCP/IP. Open your Control Panel and double-click at Network. Click Add and select to add tcp/ip.
Select the IP Adress-tab. Select Specify an IP adress.
In the field IP Adress type in 192.168.0.10 ( 192.168.0.20 for PC 2)
In the field Subnet Mask type 255.255.255.0
Press OK to save and reboot.
If you have done this on both machines ( remember to give different ip's) and still can't ping each other, there must be something with your hub or router.
The easiest way for you to fix this is to get a crossover ethernet cable. They don't cost much. With such cable you don't need a hub or router. Just connect the two PC's with the crossover cable.

the baron

Jul 19, 2001
Texas
www.blackdeath.tv
Alright, check this out....

We went out and bought a crossover cable. We plugged it in and what not. Our network still works, so our hub is now useless unless we get more comps.

On my computer I can ping myself but not the other computer. The other computer can't ping me, and can't ping itself either, so we beleive that the problem is with my friends computer's TCP/IP. How we fix that, I haven't a clue.

B

Bee
Sep 6, 2000
Bussum, NL
www.zdclan.nl
U could try switching network cards (NIC's), put your network card in your friends pc and vice versa, and try to ping again. If it wont work on your pc eiter, you know his NIC is broken.