A question for Buddypickle...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Domino

< Phoenix Rising >
Oct 25, 1999
Houston
Hey BP, I was looking over your cool cartoons when I thought of a question. Are those done completely with a graphics program or do you scan them in after drawing them? Do you color them before you scan, or use a graphics program to do it?

Thanks BP.

GranoblasticMan

Jun 15, 2001
Dunedin, FL
www.angelfire.com
BP, you rock man.. :D

Those cartoons are... They're.. They're what I LIVE FOR!

We need more INFRadio, though! Hehe.. Nah, if you're busy, I understand.. Too bad you can't really make a good living off of RealToons/ExtraLife/INFRadio. :(

Chow Yun-Fat

W3RD UP
Jan 20, 2001
hey bp, why not use a vector based drawing program? i'm currently taking a course using both photoshop and illustrator. specifically for becoming dexterious using both programs and when to use one and when to use the other. i just learned illustrator in, erm, around a day i guess (yea yea i was suppost to have learned it before i took the course, but its cool) ( i knew flash before it so i was use to vectors) and i'm finding it great for drawing stuff. Plus illustrator is not hindered by the whole rez=file size. it just seems really clean compared to photoshop. i was just wondering if you've ever tried illustrator or anything like that and also if you know something i dont which makes photoshop your preference or if its just a personal preference. sorry to be a geek about it, but i'm just curious:D

Tiran Kenja

CO of Creepers
Feb 26, 2001
www.creepers.org
Chow Yun-Fat. You seem to have misunderstood something.

Illustrator is a cool app. But it can't do what PhotoShop does (and vise versa).

As BP said. He uses PS to color the cartoon. IE. manipulating a (scanned) image. Illustrator isn't even close to be useful for that.

Illustrator could maybe be used to making the 'ink' of the cartoon. But if you are used to do it by hand it's much harder at best.

And as he noted. He uses a tablet to color them in PS. This is a useful combination. As you get the freedom of using your hand like a when using a pen. But you can undo if you don't like it.

I guess one could then argue that making the original cartoon would be easier in PS too. But (at least for novice like me) it seems easier to be creative on paper than on the computer.

Buddy_Pickle

Fffeeerrrtt!!!
Jan 30, 2000
West Jordan Utah
www.myextralife.com
Yeah, PhotoShop is used exclusivly for coloring, and nothing else. Pen to paper is the way for me. My style does and would not translate well to vector manipulation. I do, however, really enjoy using Illustrator...always have. But more for stylized logo or flash work.

Chow Yun-Fat

W3RD UP
Jan 20, 2001
IE. manipulating a (scanned) image. Illustrator isn't even close to be useful for that.

scan and import into photoshop, save file as a tiff or something to that extent, open illustrator and place the scanned image as the bottem layer, lock it, and trace it with the pen tool to get nice crip edges and smooth lines. and you can always copy your paths back to photoshop and use them in either a path or an alpha channel, to color or just out line it.

although illustrator is more print based media so i can see where photoshop comes into play. and no, i didn't misunderstand. and i realize what a tablet does too, but its nothing that the pen tool in either photo or illustrator can't do unless you want pressure sensitive lines.

Illustrator is a cool app. But it can't do what PhotoShop does (and vise versa).

In someways the both do a lot of the same. some of the tools in illustrator 9 are pretty silly like the lasso which they've brought in from photoshop. all it does in illustrator is select points, which the direct selection tool does anyway.
blah blah blah..

im beating this to death, sorry:rolleyes:

i do know a lot about what im talking about though! i swear! i'm not entirely knew to graphic design, i'm just on the next level up and im just curious to what other people do for their stuff and why. in the course im taking the guy seems to like all drawing/tracing done in illustrator and then ported to photoshop and now that im using illustrator intensely i starting to like it more than photoshop almost... which is strange because i've been smitten with PS since 4.0... but anyway, i'm overly tired and low on caffeine so i'm going to go look for food/coffee. ciao