Epic Pirates Music?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

ZoMbiE

Feb 18, 2000
Visit site
firebr.umx Created: Wednesday, June 09, 1999 9:40:04 PM

Kharisma.xm Created: Tuesday, January 12, 1999 12:23:58 AM
Release Date: December 29, 1999

He probaly decided to release it after he noticed it's use in UT.

ShinyObject

You're making me blush.
Jun 14, 2000
Ohio
:eek:

Bad EPIC!

Comments: Composed for Unreal Tournament. Used in the game without the synth lead which was removed without our permission. And thanks to Epic for not mentioning us in the game credits. In the demo version this tune was used in the CTF demo level, Coret Facility or something like that.

ZoMbiE

Feb 18, 2000
Visit site
Yeah, I dont really know what to believe.
Epic gave birth to Unreal. They started out as a producer of the ppl by not acting like corperate bloodsuckers.
Teque has been tracking for a very long time and I don't believe he would risk his reputation by claiming he wrote a song in a production piece as big as UT if it wasn't true.
Being a tracker myself it disturbs me and if it's true Epic used and edited this w/o Teque's permission it disqusts me.
I'm sure things would be quite different if the artist was a houshold name and the vocals or another highly noticable track had been ripped out of the mix.
I'm only assuming that they settled out of court (yes this is copyright infringment).

SimplyCosmic

ERGO. VIS A VIS. CONCORDANTLY.
Dec 25, 1999
Northeast Ohio
www.simplycosmic.net
Well, if anything, I doubt Epic knows anything about this in the least.

That is, if there was plagerism, the only person who knows about it was most likey the game music composer and that's it.

It's highly unlikely that Epic, as a company, sent down a memo saying, "Your duties for the day include ripping off someone's work." Instead, if infringement did occur, blame lies solely with the lazy composer turning in work that wasn't his.

But until I hear his side of the story, I'm not going to hastily judge.

usaar33

Un1337
Mar 25, 2000
Unknown
www.UsAaR33.com
Well, it appears pretty legit.
I note how there actually are no credits listed in the file. This is probably do to the synthisizer (Sp?) that was removed (it is pretty 1337 BTW)

Prophetus

Old Fart
Dec 4, 1999
...standing behind you...
Date/Time tags can be changed. In any type of music, sometimes great minds think alike. I'm sure Epic was given permission to use that music, or...Epic actually created the song and the person prirated it from them. Either way, I'm going to side with Epic over the other person. I will not believe Epic would pirate a song or even use a song without giving the author due credit.

usaar33

Un1337
Mar 25, 2000
Unknown
www.UsAaR33.com
Again, I believe that he did make the song for use with Unreal Tournament. It was contracting work, where Epic paid him. He is merely upset that he was not included in the credits and that the synthesizer part was removed without his permission (and technically Epic does not need it because by paying him the song became their property).

Arcturus

Not From Bloody Starcraft
Jan 23, 2000
Totally Not Korhal IV
It's probably not important, but a few tracks from Unreal and UT were made BEFORE the games were released (by non-Epic people, that is). I had the tune 'mech8' before UT came out. There are a few others I believe, too. The majority are still Alexander Brandon and Micheal Van Den Bos's work (the real Unreal musicians) though.

Just a thought :)

ZoMbiE

Feb 18, 2000
Visit site
I didnt think about this but its also possible that the work could have been done "for hire". When this is done someone or a buisiness hires people to create something for them. It is them copyrighted to the buisiness but the actualy copyright documents list the work as "for hire". There are distinctive sections on the documents that state if this is done and who the original author)s) were.
Whether they have to be given credit is another thing, its entirley up to the copyright holder (the boss).

BTW: Skaven did a few songs for UT/Unreal as well. If you do a search on traxinspace you can hear the original version of Razorback. He remixed it for UT himself though, without any help ;)

ZoMbiE

Feb 18, 2000
Visit site
I contacted Teque and in response he basically said that he did write the song for UT. In earlier stages it wasn't named so they (A Brandon)named it Firebreather (firebr). He didn't really mind them removing the synth lead, he just wasn't asked. He got his money, just not the credit.

Final verdict:

Epic OK ;)

as far as stripping all the info out of the umx...
It's possible that it was an earlier version before the info was even put into it. Since it wasn't named it might not have been "tagged" either.