Adding a different texture to a part of a polygon

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

G-Man

Mar 11, 2000
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Visit site
UnrealEd2.JPG

I would like to add the street texture to the middle street running in the appropriate direction. I have tried to add a sheet but the sheet's texture is only visible if it is one unit above the original street polygon. How do I add a sheet ontop of the original polygon and make it's texture visible over the texture upn which it is placed?

[This message has been edited by G-Man (edited 06-22-2000).]

[This message has been edited by G-Man (edited 06-22-2000).]

Clanless][

Apr 29, 2000
Visit site
You simply must make more polygons to have the texures aligned correctly.
Make four brushes intersect at a single point.
The four brushes should all be five sided...
not sure how to help you visualize it

imagine four flat pencils with 90 degree tips hooked together.

8-4-7-2

Mar 6, 2000
Germany
Why for God's sake does everyone want to use sheets for this??

Just use a normal cube or cylinder and add it. Align the top of the cube with the street surface. Although it sounds not logic to add a cube into an allready existing on, you will have an additional polygon!
bullet2.gif

“The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination”
“Lying is a skill like any other, and if you want to maintain a level of excellence, you have to practice constantly”
Elim Garak, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine

G-Man

Mar 11, 2000
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Visit site
So tell me if I'm right:

1-Make a new cube polygon that is the same width and length of the street, choose an arbitrary height.

2-Subtract this cube from the solid space outside my subtrated builiding area.

3-Move the cube into the building area and allign the new cube to the surface of the road.

I tried this with a sheet and it idn't work, I'll give it a try with the cube. I find it kinda silly to use a cube for this, doesn't that just give the game more surfaces to calculate?

8-4-7-2

Mar 6, 2000
Germany
No G-man, you misunderstood s.th.

Substract the cube at the bottom of the street, where you want the texture to be! Then add the same(!) cube at the same place. Use a height of 16 or 32.
You can also leave the substraction away. Most times it works without. The computer must only once calculate this process while rebuilding.
In the game you will only have one and only one additional polygon, because the others aren't visible. That's the same like using a sheet.(Of course a sheet doesn't work!)

Do you have Unreal 1: This tecnique is used all over the game!

And don't dare to say s.th. else, or that it doesn't work, or that you will ever again use sheets for it... ;)

bullet2.gif

“The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination”
“Lying is a skill like any other, and if you want to maintain a level of excellence, you have to practice constantly”
Elim Garak, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine

[This message has been edited by 8-4-7-2 (edited 06-23-2000).]