Glide/3Dfx vs (OpenGL + Wicked Drivers) wich is better?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

X-3

Apr 28, 2000
Visit site
Hi Ive played all the rest now I came to the best.
What give better Frames per second
Glide or OpenGL with Wicked GL Drivers for UT?

hunchback

Mar 25, 2000
Oakdale, CA, USA
www2.ucsc.edu
Glide, I'm pretty sure. From all accounts, the Unreal engine's OpenGL support is awful.

Of course, it wouldn't be too difficult for you to try both modes and see for yourself. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I_ABuGa

Vetran
Apr 27, 2000
Malaysia
Visit site
Glide is best for UT, the lighting and the rest of the effects come out real sweet with a voodoo. The frame rates are also muchmuch better.

i don't have a Voodoo but I've played enough LAN parties with enough ppl of differing PCs to tell a difference.

ABuGa

Dragon

Nov 12, 1999
VA. USA
dragondesigns.8m.com
I have a Mac 8600 300mhz and iMac G3 233mhz at home both with Voodoo 2 Cards. I have a Mac G4 at work with a Rage 128. IMO the Voodoo is better. The G4's (450mhz) FR is much better but that's because it is a much better machine. That mother f___er SCCREEMMSS

------------------
Dragon
Infiltration Texture Artist
People do not fear Dragons for thier Power, it's thier Wisdom

X-3

Apr 28, 2000
Visit site
Well the verdict is in.
1) Wicked GL drivers dont support any unreal engine games.(I use them for Half-Life Counter Strike and I avg bout 70 fps)
2) I tried to switch to OpenGL just for the heck of it and UT crashed.
3) Im getting an avg of 50 Frames per second in glide at 800x600 (I have it set for 50 desired FPS) wonder if I turned that up if would raise my fps. hehe

/me go to increase his desired fps setting in the UT GUI /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

geogob

Koohii o nomimasu ka?
arrr I hate my ATI mach64_3DUPro...

My max frame rate is set at 16 so that I can get most of the FX (which are dropped at higher frame rate limits) and the RAVE rendering is so bad on this card that polygons are badly displayed all the time!

rrr I have to flush the engine cache so many times that I bounded it to a key...

I will say that ATI and RAVE sucks (until I get to play on a RAGE 128...)

Anyway, I've found a driver uptade that runs only on OS 8.6 and up.... grrr again! I'm only have 8.5.1 installed... got to uptade then!

With next computer, be assured that it's NOT ATI that will take control of my mac... but most certanly a nice Voodoo 5 or 6 /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Oh btw, i'm wondering... is RAVE rendering the equivalent of DirectX or are those both completly diffrent?

------------------
--------------- Geogob --------------
Don't let your brain get infiltrated!

X-3

Apr 28, 2000
Visit site
I think Direct x is mainly for D3D,
I run Half-life in OpenGL at 800x600 with wickedGL
drivers and I get 70 frames per second

In Tribes and UT I run glide and get 50+ fps
(glide looks better)
Rogue spear runs best in D3d I tried the demo but didnt check fps

Tomb Raider 4 I run in D3d at 800x600 and its smooth as glass. at 1024x768 I barely notice any imprefections (forgot fps)

depends on the game, and remember only 3dfx chipset cards (Voodoo) can do glide(3dfx)

Corin

Jan 26, 2000
San Jose, CA
Visit site
Rave is quite good, like I said, better than glide IMO, you just need a videocard that doesn't suck /infopop/emoticons\icon_wink.gif

The Mach64 could suck a golfball through a garden hose, in these times at least. If you have the money go with ATI(the 23mb Rage128 is like $250), otherwise, grab yerself a Voodoo boyo.

Or those new Nvidia GForece256's, oh my those are gonna kick some booty.

Andirez

push the limits
Jan 23, 2000
Belgium
www.planetunreal.com
I have a tnt2 and a voodoo3, as much as I like both, the v3 is the clear winner in UT. D3D just sucks in UT IMHO, I tried every d3d driver epic released and my weapons still keep clipping through the walls in 16bit. 32bit takes a huge performance hit and doesn't look as good as glide 16bit.

------------------
Andirez - Team Duck