POLL: The Importance of Bots

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

HanD_of_DarKNesS

Evil Bastard
May 23, 2000
Ottawa, ON (Canada)
I'm just interested in seeing how important people think bots are to the INF mod in general. I have read some comments that people think they are useless once online play is introduced, and am looking to see how many of you feel that way.

------------------------------
"In the shadows of
death; I lurk. I am the
Darkness that
consumes you all."

Col.Sanders

Oct 12, 2000
Bots AND Online play - Very important!

I'd like to see the bots a little more intelligent, not as practice targets, but as backup for small online games, like 2-6 people.
The bots could either fill in so each team has human and bot players, or play the humans against the bots.

Also, in offline play, what about a way to control how the enemy bots behave without leaving the game? Say I want to be defensive and let them attack, I can order the enemy to attack me.

Mac_Fodder

Just 1 more post.
Oct 18, 2000
Bots are important

IMO bots are very important. I do have a fast connection right now but when learning the maps or getting on a server that at the time is empty it's bots that make up the difference. Also the worst place in the world to learn a new map is online. Especially Assult maps, it's bots that give you the practice. I know that bots will never be as smart as real folks but the smarter they get the better INF gets.

Most new players start with bots. If they "train" with smart ones it will only make them better when they go online.

just my 2 cents

bastard_o

Lead Designer
For me I see them as what makes UT stand head and shoulders above other FPS's.

Bots are very important IMHO whether on-line or not, just gives ppl an extra tuneable.

I have still got 6-12 months wait until these telecommunication guys get there fingers out in the UK before I can get ADSL or a cable modem, so bots for me are everthing.

Dial-up is ok'ish but I need a close fast server, thats the only reason I have a demon.co.uk account .

When the on-line code is out I will be hassling demon again for an Infiltration 2.85 server.. :)

Bastard'O

Goat Fucker

No Future!
Aug 18, 2000
Denmark
Visit site
Until cable is avalible in my area, or the monthly fees on either ISDN or ASDL conections drops to prices we can aford here in the DK (yeah like either of thouse things would ever happen...ahh sh*t), im stuck with bots or getting killed by lag, so guess how i feel.

Its not as cheap to:

1) buy harware/software

2) subscribe for a desent conection

3) Actualy get a desent conection (even thoug u pay top dollar)

here as it is in the USA.

If u imagine what a new system costs in the US, and then add 2 times that to the price, u know what we pay!
Its a sh*tty deal.

gfsigil.jpg

All hail the PRF!

R-Force

(IF)
Nov 21, 2000
Canada, Quebec, Terrebonne
I like to play against Bots that show some intelligence in their moves... I am amazed sometime at what they do, sometimes things real players don't even think of... Of course i can always see the limits of their code but it's often cooler to fight them than real players as BOTs don't flame you, get tired, bored or just feel you win too much... Besides that they are often better team mates than real humans...

1802ta

Nov 2, 2000
Bots

Goat****er is absolutely right.

The danish national telephone company
(Tele Danmark) owns all the cables, and even if some other company really wanted to sell fast connections for a fair price, they still have to
either dig down their own cables, or lease Tele Danmarks lines at outrageous prices, thereby making the whole idea unfeasible.

So for those of us who live in Denmark, and don't have too much money, bots are quite important, if not essential.

/Tom Svane Andresen
1802ta@fiol.brock.dk

keek

mapper
Nov 7, 2000
The Netherlands
www.phys.uu.nl
The same goes for those ****ty cables here in Tiel in Holland.. it seems to be the only place in the Netherlands they just won't put any fast lines.. so I continu playing with my bro' on a LAN against bullet-hungry bots!

It's a piece of KeeK!

Evil_Joe

Jan 22, 2000
PA
Visit site
Because of the shoddy phone line that comes into my house and its relative remoteness the pest connection I ever get is 31.2k (and I haven't even seen that in along while; mostly 26 k). As a result the only way I can play against real people is via a lan party. Obviously it takes more prep to organize a lan party then to connect with a high speed pipe. Soooo Bots are pretty damn important to me.

But if I had to choose between good net code and good bot code I would have to say good net code as I think more people would appreciate good net code and it how many people playing your game online tends to be the measure of a games success these days and I want to see infiltration do well. :)

Map and the world maps with you.

Luis

Adept
Aug 8, 2000
I think bots are very important for a game (fortunately CS didn't have good bots when I tried it long ago, so i didn't get tempted to play it :) ).

That doesn't mean that I don't want to see multiplayer. I still can't play online, but sure it will be worth the time. So , add multiplayer support but don't stop improving the bots, please!

still no sig.. when i figure out one i like, this crap will go out :D

Dupre

Code Pimp
May 8, 2000
www.geocities.com
I think bots are very important for both offline and online play. It's one of the notable features of UT that other FPS don't have (that's why there's Q3:TA now), it allows offline practice for people with slow/no Internet connections, and it lets LAN parties have full teams.

Midwinter, you might want to try PODBot for Counterstrike. It'll do fine for just trying out the mod. Then you can see how much more awesome INF is in comparison.

Lord_Bunker

Apr 18, 2000
Visit site
i like bots. when you give a bot an order to cover you they do it. they run right to your position and stick like glue. i've never seen a real person do that. most players just ignore any commands or useful info you send them. you warn somebody of the sniper and then they bitch cause they get their head shot off. bots can pefectly imitate a newbie too. the biggest thing that i think makes bots to easy is that once you get their pathing down you can pretty much dominate that map. you learn where they're gonna be and when they'll get there. if they could come up with a way so they reacted more dynamically to their enviro they would improve significantly. they need to know where they're going but find different ways to get there. they need to hug the wall instead of running down the road.

tacpro-sniper2.gif

it's only temporary till i get my own ghillie finished.

SmokerJME

Nov 29, 2000
We need Bots.

Where I live in Brooklyn, where the only cable line hook up is limited only to commercial customers (can you say $99 a month) due to a long standing political fight, and the phone lines were laid down underground at the same time as the dinosaurs, internet connections inhale. Without bot play the only time I would play is when we link up the machines at my friend's place on Long Island and gun it out.
(Hell, with all the disconnects, it took me 4 days of on and off trying with GoZilla to just download the whole thing of 2.80!)

Goat Fucker

No Future!
Aug 18, 2000
Denmark
Visit site
Yeah, burn down Tele Danmark, they make ouer lives hell.

"BURN BABY BURN!"

-det er nu rart at se endu en dansker her, nu er vi 3 ;) -

Scandinavian stuff again-ignore.

gfsigil.jpg

All hail the PRF!

Luis

Adept
Aug 8, 2000
Thanks, Dupre, but right now i don't feel like having to re-install HL and *gulp* download last CS version. INF is getting all my free time right now :D .

But, hey, thanks anyway

still no sig.. when i figure out one i like, this crap will go out :D

Islington

Sidekick
Jun 27, 2000
I think the bots are very important. It is because of the great bot AI that I bought UT in the first place. Or I would be pathing bots for CS maps now :)

Katulus

May 21, 2000
www.karim.karim.net
For me it dedends on the net code. If it's good then I'll always play online. But in Strikeforce it never went below 200 ping (with cable) so bots were importaint.

sig3.jpg

Acey4 NA

Nov 27, 2000
bots r good for 2 things:moving target practice and practice on killing newbies that walk down the middle of the street.

welcome to the jungle PUNK!