Standard Units

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

TenthFret

Experienced
May 10, 2000
Philadelphia, PA
Newbie mapper here, still working through some basic tutorials.

But I was hoping to find some info on some stardard units, to use as a guide for scaling/planning, etc.

How high can you jump?
How high can you hammer-jump?
How high can you step?
How far can you jump?
How far can you hammer-jump?
How low can you crouch?
How tall are the models?
How wide are the models?
How far can you fall before taking damage?
How narrow a hole before you don't fit (ie How thick are the models?)?
What is the air speed velocity of an unladen swallow? ;)

etc., etc.

Thanks

Circus Envy

May 29, 2000
Visit site
For player height, I've read the figure 86 units somewhere. Not sure though. My experience with bots is that they won't go thru anything smaller than 128 units.

I'll leave the other to the experts.. :)

bullet2.gif

Linden Arden stole the highlights

[BuF]Wacky

Mar 24, 2000
Glasgow, UK
imperialconflict.iscool.net
The lowest clearance for a player is 86 units, but like you said.. bots don't like it. As it happens ducking won't actually make any difference to the height you can clear... 86 will still be the minimum.

As for jumping... I think 64 is the highest, I'm not too sure though.
Check the archives... there was a large thread about this a while back.

ukliam3.gif
boldblue.gif
boldlblue.gif
boldpurple.gif
boldred.gif
bounce.gif
ukliam2.gif

bullet2.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity"<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Compiled this from several sources:
10 Units = 1 Foot
1 Foot = 0.304 800 609 6012 Meters
A person in UT is 60 Units (6 F)
A person eyes is 50 Units (5 F)
The closest a person can get to a wall is 20 Units
A persons head bobs vertically up to plus-or-minus one half foot when walking

Steps
· Any step that is 32 (2 feet) or fewer units tall or smaller is climbable.

· Any step that is 48 (3 feet) or more units tall is unclimbable. Useful for railings and ledges.

· Try to avoid steps or railings between 32 and 48 units (2-3 feet) tall, because one can’t reliably predict whether a player will be able to climb it or not.

Doors and grates

· Do not create grates on the floor where the player can walk. The player will get stuck in them. A grate is an opening that the player can stand on but is too small for the player to fall through.

· An opening 48 (3 feet) units wide or more is a door and the player can go through it.

· A player can not go through an opening 32 (2 feet) units wide or less.

· You can make tricky doorways designed to only let small players through, i.e. doorways less than 32 (2 feet) units wide. If you do this, only do it with a small doorway, not a long passage. If the player barely fits, she can go through a doorway easily but may get stuck on a long passage.

Ceiling

· For best results, the ceiling should always be at least two feet above the player's head, and it looks best when significantly higher. In regular architecture, ceilings under 10 feet high are uncommon.

· Don't create ceilings (low doorways or slanted ceilings) where the player can hit his head on the ceiling. Though these situations aren't disastrous, the engine doesn't handle them well and movement becomes choppy.

V-Passages

· Avoid passages that get progressively narrower if there's a chance the player will get stuck at the end of one. The collision system makes thin passageways difficult to deal with.

Wedge sides

· Avoid creating buildings with sides that look like wedges (30 degrees or less). The player gets snagged on these. This only refers to exterior wedges (outsides of objects), not wedge corners in rooms. Wedge corners in rooms are fine.

Grades

· A slope less than 20 degrees behaves exactly like a floor (and is actually considered a floor). Players can move on these without obstruction.

· A slope between 20 and 35 degrees is a grade. The player can move up these but she slides and must continually struggle to climb to avoid sliding all the way down.

· A slope over 35 degrees is unclimbable.

This was posted by Latch 2-4-2000 in a thread called "Unreal Scale". The thread was started 2-3-2000.
He got it from previus threads and other sources.
I hope it helps you a little bit

bullet2.gif

Was ich warf das fing ich, fing auf, fing ich auch.