gripe about 40mm gernades

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

rgreene

frag bait
Oct 16, 2000
they kill in 1 hit! on many, many occasions i've been hit by them, not even in the head, and i've died, in one shot. what is the deal with that? they do way too much damage imho.

rgreene

frag bait
Oct 16, 2000
okay, it seems to be happening on hardcore servers, which begs the question: is inf damage meant to be "accurate" on a normal game, or a hardcore one? if normal, then we should force servers to NOT be hardcore.

Keiichi

Old Timer
Mar 13, 2000
Well, last time I checked, a 40mm shell to the groin would pretty much incapacitate anyone. :rolleyes:

-Keiichi

page

http://www.geocities.com/morisato_81/

Eyes-Only

Feb 1, 2001
ya you wouldnt last to long with a 40mm grenade hitting even near you lol...I do have to say though that it is rather unenjoyable having a grenade fight...they should lower the strength maybe or take them out....I know sue me but LOTS of people just shot grenades over and over and over (I mean the 40mm not the frag grenade) just my opinion....specially when INF becomes more popular everyone will be using the 40mm because the D00Ds will be just shooting that...

Eyes_Only.jpg

Antedeluge

I survived the flood of 2000 B.C.
Jan 1, 2001
Visit site
Are we talking armed or un-armed grenades? I guess it doesn't matter.

1. Armed 40mm HE grenade hits you and shreds your body to pieces with shrapnel.
2. Un-armed 40mm HE grenade hits you like a 170 mph 2-pound golf ball, either penetrating in a soft spot, (e.g. stomach) or bruising and breaking bones in harder spots(ribs, legs, arms, head).

Get the picture?

I hope I don't sound harsh or anything; it's just that those rounds are heavy and moving fast. If you were hit by one you'd be pretty well incapacitated. So for the purposes of the game, you die.

If it's stupid, but works, it isn't stupid.

Keiichi

Old Timer
Mar 13, 2000
I don't see how the 40mm grenades are so unbalancing. After all, they're no good whatsoever in close combat. If you miss with your first shot, you're royaly screwed because it takes forever to reload. Also, if the enemy plays stealthily and doesn't run around like Rambo, you'll never even get the chance to fire. They fair little better in open maps. One skilled sniper and a .50 caliber round to the head is all it takes to ruin a would-be Grenadier's day.

-Keiichi

page

http://www.geocities.com/morisato_81/

rgreene

frag bait
Oct 16, 2000
i saw a 40mm go through 3 people's feet and kill all three one game... is this realistic?

rgreene

frag bait
Oct 16, 2000
but the other question, which i guess is actually more important is: was the damage designed for hardcore or normal game modes?

Wikkan

Dickhead Fulfilled!
Feb 15, 2001
I got my revenge on the old model with an unarmed 40mm... oh it was a good day for me. The odd little man ran around the corner as I fired my 40 from the hip... BLAT! Right into his disfigured forehead. I really do enjoy the 40 in close quarters and was wondering if there are plans to implement a rubber baton type round for the m203. It would make great for capture the leader, which is another good idea for a game type.

I poured spot remover on my dog once.... He's gone now.

Meshuggah

Apr 24, 2000
Chandler, Az, USA
Visit site
One thing about nades though, The unarmed nades kill even when they miss, or near hit. Almost like they have splash damage.

IE, I shot the 40mm and it hit the ground 1 or 2 feet in front of hit, Killing him, While not exploding.

page

Eyes-Only

Feb 1, 2001
Well I was talking as "grenades freaks" you know the type they fire even if they dont know anyone is there...they have 5 of them and can pretty much kill everything just by saying "hmmm one here....one here"

Eyes_Only.jpg

The_Fur

Back in black
Nov 2, 2000
www.rlgaming.com
Yeah and with the strafe speeds as they are THEY actually have the advantage they just strafe past the place where you are dug in and shoot a grenade in your general direction.

IMO strafe speeds need to be lowered to a realistic percentage of running speed and weapons bobbing when strafing AND running at the same time should increase dramatically.

<A HREF="http://www.rlgaming.com" TARGET=_blank>
bigsig.gif

Reviewer, Contributing Columnist Real Life Gaming</A>

Murphy

Have beer, will travel.
Jan 9, 2001
I admit it; I have a "Demolitions" loadout

Yet, I find it is really useful to treat the grenade launcher as a poor man's field mortar. I try to shell an area before my teammates start entering the area... hopefully this will soften up resistance and put shooter's head's down long enough for my side to get some cover in the area.

Worst case; I've just blown some ordance for loud booms and a fireworks display that might impress the local insect population, but no one else.