A couple of General questions about 2.82

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Maestro

Hey all.

I installed 2.80 and then the 81 and 82 patches in subsequent order, but the main game screen still says 2.80, is this normal or did I screw up?

A couple other questions that I'm sure have been asked a thousand times, so I'm sorry about the repetition.
The aiming system confuses me, unless I've got a setup option wrong, there is no crosshair and all the weapon firing seems to operate on an Auto-aim principle, where the gun basically points at a bad guy for you..
Is this intended? If so, how come? Seems to me that it would be a little more fun if we could control what we shoot at, but it's just my opinion.

Also, there's really no way to confirm who killed an enemy, unless you watch the scoreboard change or are the only one shooting at him, any chance of implementing a little message like UT has by default when you frag someone?

Only other question was about the bot AI code, which I understand is still in the process of refinement. They seem to stand around a lot, standing still on a nodal point while you shoot holes in them, any way to fix this? I don't recall the UT bots doing that so I had hoped it could be worked around. *shrug*

Anyway, enough complaining, love the mod otherwise. Thanks in advance.

R-Force

(IF)
Nov 21, 2000
Canada, Quebec, Terrebonne
And the answer is...

No, you did not screw up, they did :). Seriously, the real version number is only displayer in windowed mode. No, your gun is not autoaimed, it's just that you have some freedom to aim before the screen start moving, this can be helpful if you don't have a great f/s... No crosshair will be displayed, you will have to trust your eyes and look where your gun is pointing. Don't worry, this is not that hard to learn, but if you want more accuracy, you have to raise your gun to the aim position.

You should practice in the firing range (you have d/l the maps do you?) and learn how to move around and use the special functions. Some of them are real cool like looking around corners or jumping to the prone position :).

bastard_o

Lead Designer
The version number sadly is kind-of burnt in to an image, this will change for 2.85, sorry about that but after installing 2.80, 2.81 & 2.82 all should be fine.

No cross-hair, this was removed for realism.
No auto-aiming, you have to train yourself, firing the weapons from the hip is as close to the real thing, you try it with a real weapon, the recoil will shatter your bullets. Hit the secondary fire button this will bring the weapon up to eye level then you use the real weapons iron sights.

Use the shooting range / training level to get use to the new aiming system, took me a while to even get to like it and some more practise to get mtyself spot-one target... :)

Hopefully you will get to like it, rather different from other FPS's.

The who killed who messages were also removed because of realism, who cares who killed who as long as the threat to your life is taken care of.

Your BOT AI setting may be set to low, try goodlike for a laugh, then tone it down a bit.

Within assault levels YOU must tell the bots what to do, else they will just hang around covering your arse...

Thanks for the kind comments, hope the above is clear...

Bastard'O

Maestro

Thanks a bunch.

Thanks for the quick responses.
I didn't get a chance to DL the map pack yet (I'm on a modem so it took a while just to get the initial mod itself) so yeah, I'll definately need to get the shooting range level.

I didn't realize that's what the secondary fire mode did, thought it changed from auto to semi auto and all that, but I figured it out. Reminds me of Hidden and dangerous kind of, no crosshair in that either, but I got used to it.

Will dl the map pack when I get off work, thanks again, keep it up, I love the idea of an offline mod (considering my lousy ping)

oh BTW, who did the sprites? or were they stock? Just wondering, they're pretty cool, especially the hand grenade explosion/shrapnel and the shotgun muzzle flash.

-Maestro