My own little attempt to "preach" infiltration philosophy in other mods... :)

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

R-Force

(IF)
Nov 21, 2000
Canada, Quebec, Terrebonne
Since i learned of the existence of the mod called Front Line Force for Half-Life (from someone in this forum) i have been diverting some of my time toward this mod. I played quite a few games online and i got registred in their forum. The mod has great potential and is still quite young, but most of it's fan are die hard deathmatchers (unlike INF where i seem too much of a rambo for the general fans of this great mod ;) ).

The FLF designers are trying to make it a teamplay oriented mod. They have made quite a good mod, way better than most other mod i played with. Their aim is not realism, but they want it to have a feel of real warfare.

But the Deathmatchers of the old school die hard. Most players they have attracted are used to circle straff, bunny hop and move at insane speed and duke it out the Quake 3 way... While not trying to convert their player to INF (most of them don't even have UT), i try to make them understand that their is a way to have fun without just running around firiing at everything that move...

You should see how much the true DMers fear change to the world they are so good at playing. They can't imagine a game in wich the common rules of deathmatching are not working, they can't see themselves working in close cooperation, covering each others and killing their foes without circle straffing their opponement. They just can't see the fun of sneaking around, listening to others moves, waiting for a proper time run out of cover and pump them full of lead or frag them with a well placed grenade.

You can take a look at my atempt to convert their view (some of them seem to be open minded). So far i did not suffer much flamming, seem i am getting some results...

<A HREF="http://flf.valve-sector.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/001166.html" TARGET="_blank">http://flf.valve-sector.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/001166.html</A>

The_Fur

Back in black
Nov 2, 2000
www.rlgaming.com
i try to do the same with most mods, but the roots of DM are too deep :(

Crosshairs are for wimps :)

Killing stupid people is not just a hobby, it's a way of life.

mademancolour3.jpg

DEFkon

Shhh
Dec 23, 1999
Visit site
The only time i really had a good team game was on a lan game with friends.

We did alot of assualt & CTF vs the 2.75 INF bots set on godlike. It was actually set to godlike due to one of those glitches that made them uber no matter what... Out of a desire just to survive longer my friends ( typical quake players ) ended up having to work as a team, simply because there was no way any of us could hold our own 1 on 1. hehe.

boom

Spleen

Contact Belltower Window!
Oct 18, 2000
hmmmm

Actually alot of DM'er have great Teamplay. AMong the hardcore Q3 clans they teamplay is unbelievable. The difference is.. in Q3. circle straffing and bunny hopping is ADVANTAGEOUS. Try this same thing in CS or Inf and you get your arse kicked. Good players tweak a game to the nth degree. In Q2 you could pretty much run twice as fast as your opponent if you jumped and at the exact same time straffed to the left then jumped then straffed to the right (Strafe jumping).. It looked dumb as hell but you could simply leave your opponent behind (or catch them) if you needed to. Good gamers will tweak a game and do WHATEVER they need to do to win. If this means looking like a rabbit.. so be it. THe ONUS falls on the game DEVELOPER to keep the rules of physics such that the game plays as it was MEANT to .. Remember Tribes (duh).. The developers of that game never dreamed of the Heavy class as being able to cruise faster than a scout ship.. But some cunning players learned how to "ski" and the entire paradigm of the game changed.. Suddenly the most powerful attack unit became the skiiing heavy WHO COULD ACTUALLY CAP THE FLAG>> something the game developers never dreamed of.

If Inf stays "real life" circle strafers will die.. it sounds like the mod developers of the mod you speak of have left it advantageous to circle strafe so expect people to do it.

R-Force

(IF)
Nov 21, 2000
Canada, Quebec, Terrebonne
I don't think is fun for everyone when only a selected few can play a game fully while others can just dream about becomming better... Traditionnal shooters are about pure speed and reflex, as well as very conveniant control. It work very well on fast servers but is totally utopic on the net as some have unfair advantage over others due to faster connection or better hardware. Never experienced shooting at someone who "warp" from place to place, or is not really where you can see him? Or be dead before you could even see them on your screen? If the general combat speed was slower, you could easily compensate, but most DMers want to keep their advantage...

I don't mean that dueling should be banned, i just think it should be fair to everyone. Also i believe that dueling will still be part of INF, but at a lesser extent as you will need to use cover and other tactics to prevent them from firiing back at you... You just won't see anyone running around without seeking some cover...