Why don't Bots get modified?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Stosh

A legend in his own mind
Feb 9, 2000
Southern MD, US
clanci.xgshosting.com
I'm just curious. There have been so many mods put out for UT. Game types, (Tac Ops, StrikeForce, JailBreak) Weapon Mods, Excessive....

I know there have been mods to skins, voices... but I would like to see a Bot that xloc's like a human.

Is it that much more difficult to modify the bots, rather than the game itself?

gramps

Mar 27, 2000
www.crookram.net
i believe in order to make a bot use the x-loc you have to include that option in the bot pathing of a map. basically the mapper has to tell the bot where it has the possibility to use the x-loc. so it would be a mapping issue rather than a bot thing itself. i'm not sure about all this tho...

hyrulian

Rainbow Brite
May 20, 2001
Chula Vista, CA
hyru.ath.cx
Originally posted by gramps
i believe in order to make a bot use the x-loc you have to include that option in the bot pathing of a map. basically the mapper has to tell the bot where it has the possibility to use the x-loc. so it would be a mapping issue rather than a bot thing itself. i'm not sure about all this tho...
Seems plausible...I always see bots x-loc at certain places on DOM-Gearbolt, but not on other maps...

Stosh

A legend in his own mind
Feb 9, 2000
Southern MD, US
clanci.xgshosting.com
Rookie, Gee thanks for the illuminating information!

Godlike bots have extremely good accuracy, but they are not really any smarter than other bots.

I also configure them to be as Human Like as possible.

Regarding Bot pathing, yeah that does makes sense. In Hydro, they rarely if ever go after the sheild belt, but they will translocate up to the RL and vials.

I don't know much about mapping, but it would be amazing to see translocating bots..

Mr_Lynyrd

I am the PuF Lurker... kookookachoo!!
Feb 7, 2001
BFE, Tenn.
Bot behavior like IH jumping, translocating, lift operation, everything like that is in the map itself. I've made a few maps *crap* but I got really good at manipulating the nav points to make the bots use the maps the way I would. Most people plot nav points right down the middle of hallways and such, behavior that I myself would never do.

What I would like to see is a mutator that nullifies any map's existing nav points, defense points, tranny points, jump points and the like, and LEARN the map by following what the player does. If you've ever used the Eraser Bot for Quake 2, those bots were capable of dynamically learning from your routes on a new map and didn't forget the next time the map was played. They acted like idiots for about ten or fifteen minutes, but were very sweet afterwards and from then on out.

I play Deck16 religiously, and get really annoyed about bots congregating around the steps of the long catwalk, I've modified the nav points in the map myself to get the bots to do some amazing things, like tranny up to the sniper rifle, tranny away from the flak cannon in the goop pool instead of using the catwalk, camp and snipe in the very dark areas... etc.

I lost that modified map in a re-install of UT, but the bots on that map were freakin amazing. They would tranny up to the top of the large crates and camp for you there. Sweet.

Maybe someone could code a mutator for us to mimic the EraserBot's learning abilities, but requests for these type of things are rarely taken on by coders. That would be sweet, tho.

CrazyCougar

CATatonic
Jan 5, 2001
Ottawa, Canada
There is a bot AI project out there. Can't think of the name offhand but it's not to hard to find if you do a search for mods/mutators.

Basically it's premise was this:
The bots would assign priorities based on YOUR actions. If you kept picking on a poor bot he would focus his energies only on you. So basically it was a behavioural mod. The bots decisions were based on what happened to it in the game...

I'm not sure how well it worked since I was usually too busy playing to notice if the bots were behaving differently.

ThePlague{FU}

Jul 20, 2000
www.angelfire.com
The bot AI was called The Planner Bot where it would "learn" from those it played with. Unfortunately I don't recall the link. The bots on my system for bot matches and use during LAN parties are configured rather well. They are set to Godlike sometimes Inhuman. Acuracy is turned almost all the way down along with camping. Everything esle, strafing and the like are set on the highest setting. They are all also set to aggressive. Try it, they move rather human like and I laugh sometimes when trying to fight them cause they are all over the place. And if you think turning the accuracy down low defeats the purpose, wait till you stumble across 2-3 of them with a mini or pulse gun. They'll take that shield belt down to nothin and you'll be dead if you don't kill them quickly :D