new ammo type

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

FabulousRex

Old Guard Infantryman
Feb 15, 2000
Ft. Myer, VA USA
I'm sure Gryphon has heard of this one, but I don't know the specifics of it, only that it exists.

It's basically a shotgun shell in the 40mm Grenade. It fires out alot of low-velocity 'flak', something like 200 .33cal pellets (also known as 00 buckshot, usually 9 per shell in shotguns). It was used back in 'nam for the US grenadiers as a defensive round because back then they only carried a grenade launcher, nothing else. When a bad guy popped up at close-medium range, they were screwed. 'Cause usually they could'nt pull their pistol (1911A1, bad ass pistol NOT in Inf...) fast enough to deal with them. So they carried a 'shotgun' round loaded while patroling. From what I understand, these rounds are against that G-something convention, so we discontinued their (official) use.

Seeing as how almost all the rounds planned in Inf are non-military, and that there will be no shotgun-rifle combo, this shotgun shell would be a nice alternative at close range than the rifle, and also diminish the 40mm's overuse as bombardment.

CAVERNA2K

Look, a fliing something!!!!!
Mar 12, 2001
www.geocities.com
Man, think: how would this unbalance the game? The m16/acog/m203 with this BFShotgun would be the perfect gun... every one would be using it, the all the work of the other guns would be nothing, since no one would be using them.
There would be no tactics: only that combo, like the actual one...
Think better about it...

**no one/nobody: almost...

Snakeye

Mk82HD
Jan 28, 2000
Klagenfurt, Carinthia, Austria
Visit site
I don't think this would unbalance the game for some reasons:

- the new ammo type gives you the perfect chance to have the wrong weapon in the wrong mode in the wrong place at the wrong time - just imagine, everytime you go to a CQB area you'll have to load the round and everytime you go to 'grenadeable' area you load the standard 40mm..

- this 'shotgun' round (I suppose it's something like the canister/flechette round available for the 40mm) is more like a last resort weapon; a M16 in burst is a better CQB weapon than a 1 shot shotgunlike thing that needs quite a while to reload.

In fact I think such a round would only make sense if someone used the HK69 alone - and I supose noone is that dumb.

Snakeye :D

HanD_of_DarKNesS

Evil Bastard
May 23, 2000
Ottawa, ON (Canada)
That flechette canister sounds awesome for close-range combat. Do they make it in a 40x46mm size (such as those used by the M203 and HK69)?

The FAS link you provided only mentioned it's use for the MK-19 family of GMGs, and they use slightly larger 40x53mm grenades.