UT Black screen of death

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Moni

Apr 17, 2001
London
Visit site
Ok.. UT hangs on startup, I just get a blackscreen.
I've recently installed DirectX8. and everything went pairshaped after that.

I patched UT to v436, updated my Geforce 256 drivers to detonator3 and have tried everything.

It only runs in safe mode, no D3D, opengl or even software.

UT worked fine until about a month ago, I installed a game with Directx8, is this the problem?? If so how do I solve this as I can't seem to re-install Directx7 (on the UT disc)

I have noticed alot of such complaints on this messageboard especially concerning Geforce 1-2 and Nvidia products, does UT really not like my card?

Please help, I really love the game and it would be a shame to give it up due to a setup/driver fault.

Many thanks in advance
Moni

Chapel

Blah Blah Blah, What do you want me to put?
Mar 29, 2001
Alaska
www.chapel.iwarp.com
blah

Yeah, i have the same problem i think, the only way i can get to play, is through safe mode. i have a gf2mx with dx8 with the newest patches and drivers. So i dont know?

Taker

UT Junkie
I would love to help but without knowing which Operating System (Win98,98se,ME,2000) the best I can offer you is some links that might help.
First thing I would do is re install my video drivers.
Anyways, check out the links below.
I have yet to find a DX uninstaller that really works.The first link has about the best DX uninstallation I have seen to date.In the second link there is another I know nothing about.The other links have good troubleshooting information.

DX Uninstaller
Planet GeForce
Unreal Tournament Faq
EpicGames Faq
INA-Support
Hope you find an answer.
:D

Moni

Apr 17, 2001
London
Visit site
thanks..but it makes me mad

Thanks for the response. I'll check those links

I have win98 by the way.

Deus ex runs fine, and I know its not a corrupted file in the game because UT works fine in safemode. It has to be the drivers or Dx8, the thing that gets me is that it worked beautifully before, no lags, great framespeeds etc. It just decides not to work.

I really wish game developers would take more care in making their games compatible, there are no excuses, ID manage to do it, as do all quality game houses, I have just effectively thrown £30 down the toilet...thanks epic.

Taker

UT Junkie
Sounds like a compatibility problem.If the game runs in safemode then I suspect that something has gone wrong during the loading of the game itself or your drivers.
In WIN98 check your start up by clicking on start/run then type in MSCONFIG.Next click on the Startup tab.Untick everything except SYStray and SYSreg and the antivirus program you may or may not be running.
Remove and re install your Sound and Video drivers.
Remove UT completely,Run a defrag and scandisk. Then reboot and load the game.
Best I can do for you.Someone else may post a reply with better suggestions.

:D

Fathom

Apr 18, 2001
Visit site
directx

every version of directx causes problems for someone. if your games all worked fine with dx7, then go ahead and go back to that, i don't think there is anything out right now that actually requires dx8, except maybe tribes 2 which just came out. also, if you are only running dx8, try dx8a, as the initial release had some bugs