Testing the sense of humour of my american friends

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

DLL

Chrysolyte
Mar 12, 2001
DarkBls,

Seriously, why is it that the rest of the world hates the U.S.?

Anyone one else feel free to put in your 2 cents. I'd like to hear the point of view of the rest of the world.

Xxaxx

Kahuna burger!
Feb 15, 2001
right here beatch!
www.geocities.com
A lot of people (including myself sometimes) feel that America thinks it knows what's best for the rest of the world and is going to correct the problems, whether those with the problems like it or not.
Also, everyone needs someone to hate, so why not America?

BlueSniper

if today was yesterday, what's tomarrow?
Mar 6, 2001
well this is the map.....

he he...

I for got the "commies w/ videogames" for jappan

DLL

Chrysolyte
Mar 12, 2001
Xxaxx,
I understand that point. You'll probably find that 50% of Americans are isolationist (want to leave the rest of the world alone). This was the mindset at the start of WWII.

The thing is this, with the U.S. possessing the amount of influence and military power that it does, there are TONS of ppl that say we don't do enough. Look at the massacres in Africa a few years back. A lot of people blame the United States for that tragedy because we did nothing (or not enough) to stop it.

So how can we win? You can please some of the people some of the time, but not all of the people all of the time. It sucks.

I do enjoy hearing the point of view of citizens of other countries though. It helps me understand where I stand in this world as a citizen of the United States. And maybe I'll be a little less ignorant of how the actions of our government are interpreted around the world.

DLL

Chrysolyte
Mar 12, 2001
:) I like the map BlueSniper.. lol

Sorry for trying to turn this light-hearted thread into a serious discussion. :D

[L]-Seretonin

Mar 11, 2001
LMOA very good m8. I was watching a documentary about film making and an American director said that it is oK to remake foreign films as nobody has seen them!!!!! ROFL talk about an ignorant statement, that is the sort of staement made by Americans that gives its citizens a bad name.

Sebu_NZ

Kalashnikov's Personal Pimp!
Dec 25, 2000
New Zealand
www.muttonbone.com
on a serious note (seems more serious having another post :D )

1) Isolationism has been around in America since WW1.

2) For New Zealand, alot of the old people hate America and Americans (the youngin's are the opposite (does include me
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
just joking))

It started during WW2, New Zealand was your basic small English farming-town but a whole country of that crap :p New Zealand was a England clone (really until the British joined the EU (I think it was EEC back then) did New Zealand really grow into itself and grow up aswell) so when these very different people came (American GIs during WW2) and womanised had lots of money to spend the New Zealand men felt alot of conptemt for the Americans, add that most to all of the New Zealand able bodied men were on service in North Africa the New Zealand woman were open to the Americans, quite a few went back to america with there suga-daddys :D :) :D so alot of the older men still dislike the americans for that (even though they saved our ass from the japanese, although NZ and Aussie did play a big role, Aussie and NZ just could not defend ourselfs aganist a possible invasion by the Japanese or Germans. It seems alot of people look past the god things in life and look at the negatives (american pimpin' :D )

Also alot of young people are subjected to Jerry Springer and see Americans as them (god idoits I says!)

RogueLeader

Tama-chan says, "aurf aurf aurf!"
Oct 19, 2000
Indiana. Kill me please.
It is the natural order of our nation-state system that the super power's always get involved in everything. We in the U.S. do it, the British did it, the Austrians did it. When someone gets pissed and nukes us all 'till we glow, and takes over the supertitle status, they will do the same.

Uppity

Apr 17, 2001
NE England (We hang monkeys)
Visit site
DLL - well, you said you like to see the point of view of citizend of other countries - here goes:

What bugs me about America is the apparant ignorance you sometimes see relating to the world outside. In a lot of cases it wouldn't matter but the amont of wealth (and therefore power) present in the US means that people can have an effect on international events without knowing the first thing about them.

One example which really bugs me is the amount of people (and organisations) based in the US which fund the IRA - without actually realising that yes, they are terrorists and yes they do blow innocent families into tiny little pieces on a regular basis. They just think - Yeah, I have Irish heritage, lets help the Irish get free from the yoke of British tyranny! Never mind the fact that the majority of the residents of northern Ireland actually want to stay British - just like these helpful "Irish Americans" want to stay American.

Any yup, there's Jerry Springer. For us Brits, about the only thing we see on TV which involves real American people (as opposed to actors in the movies or the sitcoms with their little ideal lives) is Jerry Springer or Rikki Lake. And to be honest - it doesn't paint a pretty picture now does it ?

But most of the time, I think the dislike is just jealousy of the (perceived?) wealth and easy live over there.

Personally I find that most Americans I speak to over the net are nothing like what you see on Jerry Springer (surprise, surprise) and I do get on with them - but there are a lot of annoying kids though(especially playing CS) but they're no different to the kids the world over - I guess its just noticed more because a lot more kids have 'net access over there.

So which would I rather have? Jerry springer or our fine selection of livestock disieses? Hmm, let me think...

Uppity

Sebu_NZ

Kalashnikov's Personal Pimp!
Dec 25, 2000
New Zealand
www.muttonbone.com
Uppity your on to it.

One thing that Does annony me, is that most of the Americans I see (note most NOT all) rant on about liberaty this, best free country in the world.

Well guess what folks, your not the only country for god sake, New Zealand (and im sure many more) has more liberaty than America. Or is it the fact that your the only large free country and so now that means the only one which counts?

That my only really annonyance about Americans (and note these are only the people I have meet or seen, all of the Americans here are A-OK :D (peewww saved me ass
laugh.gif
))

CoffeyCan

Real Maps Coordinator
I might find this more humorous if it was posted by someone from the US. If I, as someone from the US, were to post something about all the French stereotypes what would the response be? To me this seems somewhat Nationalism baiting (which I thought was a banned topic here?), even if under the guise of a joke, its clear to see some feathers are stirred, if it dips below the belt much more, it needs to get locked down.
CC

Zundfolge

Dec 13, 1999
USA
Any yup, there's Jerry Springer...

Jerry Springer is staged.

And you brits are the last ones who should complain about tabloid television ;)

Every nation has it's negative stereotypes (we could ask DarkBls if he bathes regularly ya know ;) )