UT problems on AMD system

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

wtburnette

Apr 16, 2001
IGH, MN
Visit site
WARNING, LONG POST!

Okay, here's the deal; after building a new system and installing UT, I get very bad performance. Gameplay is very "choppy", but otherwise the framerates seem very good. For some background, let me explain that I just upgraded my old PIII 550 Win98SE machine to a 1.2Ghz Tbird system with an Iwill KK266 and 512MB RAM, running Win2k Pro SP1. UT ran completely smooth on my old system, but runs poorly on the new system. Also, UT is the ONLY game running poorly on this system; I've installed and played Serious Sam, Q3A and Diablo II and they play great. I've posted this problem on several message boards, and have tried tons of suggestions, but nothing thus far has worked. BTW, I suppose I should clarify that I did fdisk, format and install everything from scratch when I upgraded my system. Below are the things I've tried:

I've uninstalled and reinstalled the game, I've checked to make sure I'm using the most current drivers (VIA 4in1, VIA AGP patch, etc.), I've tried different Nvidia drivers (6.50, 7.58 and 11.01). In those drivers, I've tried various options, made sure AA was turned off, etc. I've tried AGP 4X on, off, sidebanding on and off, setting the AGP apeture size to 64MB, 128MB and 256MB and I've tried setting the AGP Driving control from DA to EA. I've tried the D3D beta driver, I've disabled ACPI on my system, I removed my Live Value card and enabled onboard sound with the latest drivers. I've run in 16 bit, 32 bit, in various resolutions with various detail settings. I've read through the Iwill KK266 FAQ and the GeForce FAQ and tried various suggestions from them. I even installed Win98SE on a spare drive and tried UT on it, but got the same stuttering problem. I also tried using the beta OpenGL driver with the compressed textures, but that didn't run much better. It ran *decently* on the Win98SE install, but didn't run any better under Win2k.

I am TOTALLY at the end of my rope with this one. Everything else runs exceptionally well on this system. I can run game benchmarks, Sandra benchmarks, etc. on it all day long with no lockups and no crashes. Also, the CPU and system temps stay within acceptable boundaries, so it shouldn't be heat related. If anyone has any ideas, I'd REALLY like to hear them. Short of reinstalling Win2k Pro from scratch, I'll try just about anything. I love UT and play it daily, but this problem is so bad that it's not fun at all to play anymore. To give you an idea, playing singleplayer offline feels like playing online with 8 or more players with a 200 or so ping. Not too bad, but enough to be VERY distracting.

Any help would be appreciated.

ZenPirate

Living Legend (and moderator)
Nov 21, 2000
New York
1)try detonator v10.80,or even better 10.80 with the dvdd32.dll from version 7.56.
2)are you using the latest version(436) of UT?
3)put the soundblaster back in,preferably in pci slot 4
4)exactly what vid card do you have?
5)I probably will forget I posted this so if you have any questions P.M. me with them :)

wtburnette

Apr 16, 2001
IGH, MN
Visit site
Possible fix...

I may have solved the problem:

last night I upped the UT internal cache from 4MB to 128MB and set the min. framerate to 50. I only had about 5 minutes to test it, but it seemed to play much better. I'll do some more testing tonight and post as to whether it was the actual fix...