Why does UT run slowly on my comp?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Zerstorer

Mar 17, 2001
Visit site
Its strange i dont get that bad of a Frames Per Second its just all the loading and stuff when im playing UT ill hear the HDD working alot on some levels and not alot on others and it will run smoothly on some levels my fps isnt the problem its the freaking memory swapping or whatever is going on when im playing. My system specs are:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AMD K6-3 450
DFI K6XV3+/66 system board with newest 4in1 drivers from VIA
128 mb PC100 ram which should be enough considering i read the readme for ut and it said that this much ram is optimal.
Western Digital 15 gig 7200 rpm Ultra ATA 66 hdd
Guillemot Xentor 32 (TNT2 Ultra) with Guillemot drivers which work the best.
Sound Blaster Live! with liveware 3.0 drivers
19" Magview VM900E monitor
Windows 98 4.10
DirectX 8.0 (4.08.00.0400)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Im running UT at 1024x768 res with full detail except medium player skins and i have Cache megs at 96 which i found in the advanced options menu im running UT with Direct 3d.

HuFlungzeDung

Nov 24, 1999
Kanada
Visit site
I think that on a somewhat older machine like yours, combined with running in D3D mode, that what you are seeing is normal. Even on a reasonably fast machine like my athlon 550, if I put a glide based card like a Voodoo3 in, the game will load in 25 seconds, and nothing slows down while I play!. If I put a Radeon card in the exact same machine, I must then run in D3D also, but load times become more like 90 seconds, with lots of HD caching going on during the game.
If you really love to play UT, look around for a cheap Voodoo3 card to use. You'll be glad you did.

zoziw

Dec 21, 1999
Visit site
When I got UT I had a 300 K6 with 48 RAM and a TNT card, the game was almost completely unplayable.

A few months later I picked up a Voodoo 3 2000 PCI card and ever since UT has flown on my system (keeping in mind I run it without alot of the graphical bells and whistles).

I still only run it with 64 RAM (and a minimum install on top of that) and have had no problems. I think the Glide card is the best recommendation that can be made in your case.

Ve7

Rest In Peace
Dec 2, 2000
Try accesing the advaned options by pressing TAB and typing "preferences" and upping the game cache. Try various values, maybe starting with 32Mb

Zerstorer

Mar 17, 2001
Visit site
Like i said i already have 128mb ram would adding 64 and having 196mb run smoother? also i have my swap file in windows 98 set to 500mb is that enough? also like i said i have cachesizemegs set to 3/4 of my ram which is 96.