ini edits you would recommend

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

-HAVOC-

Jan 16, 2000
Visit site
Cool, I am just interested in a good thread that would help people understand the ini file and tweaking the game a little more.

Nice tweeeeeeaks thx /~unreal/ubb/html/wink.gif

bullet2.gif

S*ck my Muzzle

Rooster

Local Legend
Jan 4, 2000
Fort Mill, SC
www.legionoflions.com
Comp... about the triple buffer.. You've got it wrong:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>
What is Triple Buffering, and what does it mean to testing?
Triple buffering makes the whole VSYNC On versus VSYNC Off debate a moot point.

With triple buffers, the board renders at maximum speed, and the most recently completed frame is displayed on the monitor at the monitor refresh rate. It’s the best of both worlds: the board isn’t held back waiting for VSYNC, while the display is refreshed with only complete frames. If the system is tested with a device that supports triple buffering, the VSYNC status should not make any difference. Because the preferred configuration by Microsoft and many of the triple-buffered benchmark suppliers is VSYNC ON, these benchmarks are run in that mode.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

bullet2.gif

Ain't found a waayy..to kill me yet...
nguid:167703

Comp625

Dec 10, 1999
Visit site
So is Triple Buffering on w/ VSync good or bad or what...?

Oh yea, do u know how to limit ur frame rate for netgames? (like in Quake 2, its 'set cl_maxfps 40' .

-HAVOC-

Jan 16, 2000
Visit site
Are there any edits to the ini file that you guys would recommend? I figured this would be a good thread, plus I always love to tweak sh*t... /~unreal/ubb/html/wink.gif

------------------
S*ck my Muzzle

Comp625

Dec 10, 1999
Visit site
I gots some INI tweaks for D3D...I dont use OpenGL but the commands apply for OpenGL too I think.

HighDetailActors - only difference I see is the bullet holes...FALSE makes bullet holes non-exsisting, TRUE does.

UseTripleBuffering - making it FALSE makes ur video card only make 2 passes at the textures...making it TRUE makes ur vid card make 3 runs at doing the textures for more clarity and slows your framerate down.

Coronas - if theres a sun or something, makes u get those round circles in ur eyes..like a circular glare or something

Use32BitTextures - I use FALSE, my TNT gets on its knees on 32bit textures, TRUE is self explanable

UseTrilinear - I use false even though I dunno wtf it is, maybe u can find out and tell me :)

ShinySurfaces - basiclly gouard shading, makes reflections on metaillic objects I think...something like that, basiclly shading, I use FALSE, when fragging, u wont even notice it..

Thats all I can get for now, Ill reply again if you need modem or multiplayer tweaks...

Rooster

Local Legend
Jan 4, 2000
Fort Mill, SC
www.legionoflions.com
From what I gather, run with Triple Buffer and VSYNC on. (I prefer VSYNC on, cause off looks HORRIBLE).

As for setting a MAX FPS.. don't think that's an issue in UT. I could be wrong.

bullet2.gif

Comp625

Dec 10, 1999
Visit site
Rooster...since u rock at UT and u aint no newbie..i gots some questions 4 u 'UT God' hee hee:

1. UT came with the 2nd disc with better quality textures or something, i installed it, do those textures lower the frame rate?

2. Know any UT tweaks for analog modem users that would lower the ping, even just by a little?

I guess thats all for now..u rock man, seriously...

Rooster

Local Legend
Jan 4, 2000
Fort Mill, SC
www.legionoflions.com
Heh... well. If you're serious. Thank you.

The 2nd disc is only for the S3TC (?) compressed textures. Used on Savage3(?) & 4 cards. Viper II with MeTaL (I think this is the official name of the S3TC compression) is one such card. If you don't have a newer Savage card, you wont even use those textures (if I'm wrong, let me know, I'd like to use them on my V3).

As for the modem issues.. sorry bud, I gotta 256k DSL, so I've not even explored the analog modem world (been off modem for over a year now.. haven't had any recurrences or withdrawal either).

Best bet for modem performance, I've heard disabling the 56k (not sure why that'd help). Also, get a reliable ISP, not some local one. Get a real modem, not a winmodem.

That's my only suggestions.

Good luck.

bullet2.gif

CHRYSt

You can't help that. We're all mad here.
Jan 14, 2000
www.crawlspaceradio.com
comp:
1. High detail actors: It also affects things like powerups. You don't notice since you're playing, not looking.
2. coronas: close, the "circular glare" is actually lens flare. coronas are where the light gets fuzzy around it's point source (I think you knew that, but I'm clearing it up)
3. Trilinear: Trilinear filtering, basically, better anti aliasing of textures at distances. (read:more blending, less pixellation to textures) default is BIlinnear.

your other questions
1. The textures on the second CD are S3CT Compressed textures. They are meant to be used on vid cards from S3 that have this hardware feature. basically, they will make the game look better without a performance hit.
2. Sorry, I'm a LPB, so I don't pay attention to modems.

bullet2.gif

"Who's up for the donkey show and some unholy butt sex?!" -- Lloyd Kaufman

CHRYSt

You can't help that. We're all mad here.
Jan 14, 2000
www.crawlspaceradio.com
dude, rooster, I just got your sig file reference...damn, I can't believe it took that long...I love AIC.

bullet2.gif

"Who's up for the donkey show and some unholy butt sex?!" -- Lloyd Kaufman

Rooster

Local Legend
Jan 4, 2000
Fort Mill, SC
www.legionoflions.com
Heh.. I changed it recently from.. "Here comes the Rooster!" to what it is currently. I figure I'll go through a range of the lyrics just to keep it interesting.

I was in a game recently.. getting head shots and rampages left and right.. then jumping in a fire fight with the sniper rifle, and still killing... Then someone says.. "You like to snipe eh Rooster?"

I just replied.. "Hence the name."

As for the S3TC, I've heard: While it looks REALLY nice... it's a slide show. /~unreal/ubb/html/frown.gif

bullet2.gif

Comp625

Dec 10, 1999
Visit site
Is there any way I can uninstall that texture pack (since it &lt;b&gt;could be&lt;/b&gt; harming my frame rate by &lt;b&gt;trying&lt;/b&gt; to compress textures. I installed it..damn, I wasted 300mb of hd space...im down to around 2.7gb left on a 12gigger...not good...remember that ya gots to leave like up to 1 gig for the swap file...so...that leaves me with like 1.7gb left..great..

Comp625

Dec 10, 1999
Visit site
btw, how do u make words bold and stuff..i thought it was through the use of HTML...
Does it have anything to do with the:
*HTML is OFF
*UBB Code is On

Thanks if u answer both posts...especially ROOSTER and HAVOC...

Rooster

Local Legend
Jan 4, 2000
Fort Mill, SC
www.legionoflions.com
Nope... you were using html tags..

use [ ]'s and it'll work just fine.

I'd just delete your textures directory (just the files in it) and then copy them from the UT cd, or reinstall it, saving your ini files).

bullet2.gif

Rooster

Local Legend
Jan 4, 2000
Fort Mill, SC
www.legionoflions.com
And 1GB for a swap file? Not on this planet. I'd say never more than 512MB. 256MB is probably the most you'd ever use.

In any event, it's goin' home time. Catch you fella's on the flip side.

bullet2.gif

Comp625

Dec 10, 1999
Visit site
Thanks for the texture tip thing...
and when I had around 500mb for swap file..friggin hard drive went grrr grrr and i had OUT OF MEMORY msgs alot...

lets try the html thing out...
[bold]poop[/bold]

Rooster

Local Legend
Jan 4, 2000
Fort Mill, SC
www.legionoflions.com
If you got out of memory messages with a 512mb swap file, something is wrong with your system. I dont know what, as I've never even heard of such a thing happening with that large a swap file.

Mine uses about 60mb - that's it.

bullet2.gif

-HAVOC-

Jan 16, 2000
Visit site
I set my swap file to 3 times my installed memory. I have 192 meg of memory and I set the minimum and the maximum setting on my swap file to 576. I also use Norton Utilities and speed disk to move my swap file to the front of the drive and optimize the drive.

Hey Comp625,

Out of memory errors are related to conflicts between apps and not physical "out of memory" issues. What heppens is an application steps on an area of memory that is in use by something else.

You can hit ctr-alt-del and see what is running. The only things you need running are Explorer(the shell not the browser) and systray(which is the system tray in the end of the task bar).

Things that sit in the tray or in memory waiting for an action are memory resident programs and have no busines running, they will simply cause conflicts with the applications that you are actually running. When I run UT, that is the only app running.

There is a lot you can do to remove these items from starting when your machine does. Let me know if this makes any sense and if you need some further help.

bullet2.gif

S*ck my Muzzle