LAN problems

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Kylen Marx

Lurker
Feb 17, 2001
Hattiesburg, MS
Visit site
I'm trying to start up a LAN game with a roomie of mine. we have a PC to PC network. my player info is setup, and network is set to LAN, if that matters. i click start new multiplayer game, and set all the game options as i want them (should be the same as a practice game, rite?). went to the server tab, filled out the info, checked optimize for LAN, and clicked start. the game starts fine on my end, but when my roomie clicks find LAN games, my server name doesnt show on his menu. the LAN is connected, cuz we can goto Network Neighborhood and see each other's files just fine. i've tried clicking dedicated, so of course, i cant play, but my game still doesnt show on his screen. i cant think of what else to do. a page on planetunreal says i should be clicking Listen instead of Dedicated so i can play, but i dont see a Listen button (unless Start is the same thing). i've tried having him put the IP address that shows on the bottom of the screen in the open location window, but it says connection failed. can anyone give me a suggestion to what's going wrong?

--TazD ^,,^

Shaithis

Aug 14, 2000
Visit site
try typing the IP address of the server from the client machine with "Open Location".

For me, I just have to view the Lan Servers from the server browser to find the game I want to join, (I have 3 machines at home ;)

mister_boffo

Feb 18, 2001
Visit site
You may need IPX/SPX on both machines

Unreal Tournament LAN games may need you to have the IPX/SPX network protocol installed for the LAN games to work.

The old Quake, QuakeWorld, and Duke Nukem 3D used IPX/SPX for LAN games, while TCP/IP was just more for Internet gaming. UT may be using the same sort of network methdology. IPX/SPX is a fairly simple-to-use protocol with a very large and long history as a LAN gaming protocol. Machines too old and slow to support TCP/IP would have no trouble with IPX/SPX gaming.

Anyway, let's move on. :)

If you have Network Neighborhood on your desktop, right-click on it and choose "Properties". In the list of installed components, see if the "IPX/SPX Compatible Protocol" or a similarly named protocol such as "Novell 32-bit IPX Protocol" is installed. If it IS installed on both your machine and your friends machine, I am not sure what else to suggest here.

If it is NOT installed on one or both of your machines, do the following to install the IPX/SPX network protocol:

1. Click on the "Add..." button.
2. Select "Protocol" from the list and click "Add..."
3. Select "Microsoft" in the left list, then select "IPX/SPX Compatible Protocol" from the right list, and click "OK".
4. You may need your Win 95/98 CDROM for installing the network drivers.

Reboot the updated machines, then try starting a LAN server again. Your UT multiplayer game (dedicated or not) should now appear as an available LAN server from your friend's machine.

-Mr. Boffo

Kylen Marx

Lurker
Feb 17, 2001
Hattiesburg, MS
Visit site
No workie

Like i said, i already tried typin the IP in the open location window; that didnt work. and i've had tcp/ip and ipx/spx for both dial-up adapter and network card installed since the day i installed the net card. thanx for the suggestions, but i'm still lost...

--TazD ^,,^

mister_boffo

Feb 18, 2001
Visit site
Do you both have the same version?

You can't connect to Internet servers if you have an older version of the UT software. Likewise, your friend won't be able to connect to YOU if you have installed the latest multiplayer patches but THEY have not.

Naturally, of course, there aren't any error messages which will simply tell you "Version Too Old" or something useful like that. Nope, you'll just get those useless "connect failed" messages which don't help or give you any information at all.

I just about gave up trying to do a MP LAN game after helping a friend set up UT on their machine for the first time. They couldn't connect to me either...... until I remembered I have applied the 336 patch. Fortunately I had a copy of the patch on my machine. Updated his UT, and then everything started working.

-Mr. Boffo

mister_boffo

Feb 18, 2001
Visit site
Finally, did you change TCP/IP settings?

There's one final option. Did you change your TCP/IP properties to something other than the Windows defaults?

If you're set up for DSL or some such, UT may not know how to deal with your TCP/IP settings.

Are both machines set to "Obtain IP address automatically", with the "Gateway" settings empty, and "DNS" Disabled?

Those are the default self-configuring Windows options, where Windows itself sets up a small LAN for file and printer sharing over TCP/IP. If the defaults are set then UT should be able to use them.

Beyond this, I don't have a clue without fooling around with your machines myself. :)

-Mr. Boffo

Screamer_qtp

Feb 13, 2001
imho it is best to specify your own ip in the tcp/ip settings.
the ip address should be 192.168.0.x
and the subnet mask 255.255.255.0

where x is a number between 1 and 127, each machine must have a different value for x.

This will make windows load much quicker and make networking more reliable, and easier because u know the other persons ip

Kylen Marx

Lurker
Feb 17, 2001
Hattiesburg, MS
Visit site
still no workie

just an update, i guess...
got the 436 patch and ran it on both computers.
set his comp to 192.168.0.1, and mine to 192.168.0.2 and all subnets to 255.255.255.0 (his was already set to these configs, oddly), but i still get nothing on either LAN server screens when i have the game check. a friend of mine suggested that we should have a net hub... didnt think it was necessary since it's only the 2 of us at the moment (altho we'll be hooking up the rest of our roomies soon, hopefully, and a hub will be needed then). do you think that's the problem?

another odd thing i noticed, when i click on my neighborhood (or network neighborhood, or da hood as it is on my computer), i can see all shared drives and all folders on his comp i can manipulate. however, if i click on Entire Network, the folder is blank. isnt the network name supposed to be there? could THAT be a problem?

y do i have nothing but problems?!

--TazD ^,,^

iridium

... loves Mr. Lamppost
Dec 11, 2000
UK
Unreal Tournament does not use the IPX/SPX protocol. Running a dedicated server would not make a difference. What matters is the IP ADRESSES you have set the computers up with. The IP's screamer said should be fine :D that is what I have here. I found that once a while ago, the Find LAN games didn't work, which was very annoying. I thought it was the end of the road, but my problem was fixed by entering
192.168.0.1 in the open location box. In windows networking, nothing shows up here, but if i type \\gfxcomp\c\ i can access it without the need of entire network.

If open location : 192.168.0.1 works, you could bind it to a key: open 192.168.0.1 in the console. so all you have to do is press that and join the server.

oh well HTH
cya
good luck :p

iridium

... loves Mr. Lamppost
Dec 11, 2000
UK
one other thing. make sure that you can ping the server machine:
start----->RUN--------->ping 192.168.0.1

Screamer_qtp

Feb 13, 2001
What network cable r u using to connect 2pcs.
Is it BNC coax cable (with terminators and T-Pieces)
or telephone wire style cable, in which case u should be using a cross-over lead if u have no hub (a regular cable is required to connect into a hub)

Ohh and if you dont know it already network neigbourhood is the most dodgy piece of software ever, often u cant see things that u know r there and working.

Valk

Mom, kitty's being a dildo!!
Dec 21, 2000
Great Lakes State
Visit site
IP is all you need, no IPX/SPX. Regardless of cable type.
I see from your last post that the IPs are set correct. Did you check the "Advertise" box on the server tab? :D

Kylen Marx

Lurker
Feb 17, 2001
Hattiesburg, MS
Visit site
silly me

i got it workin youse guys. me and my bad typing skillz/partial dyslexiz... instead of subnet mask 255.255.255.0, i put in 225.225.225.0... and of course that didnt work... <smacks forhead> all my games are back to working over the LAN now... YEA! tanx a bunch

--TazD ^,,^