Upgrading PC (need recommendations where)

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

MarleyMarl

Proud NY'er
Oct 9, 2000
Long Island NY
Visit site
Im upgrading my PC.

My current specs are

ASUS P5A-B ALi chipset
350 3dnow K6 AMD
128 pc100 megs of ram
New mid tower case and power supply 300 or 350 watts?

I want to upgrade to:

either an ASUS or ABIT Mobo
Tbird 1 gig or higher
and atleast 256 pc133 ram (probably 512) gonna be running win2k
optical mouse
and a cdwriter

Now, I'm looking for a place to get this from online.
Anyone have suggestions as towho to order from?
I want the system put together for me, meaning the mobo, processor and case (the rest i can do on my own.)
The mouse, ram and cdwriter i can get somewhere else too but I really want the case, power supply, mobo and processor to come assembled and from the same place.

Any recommendations are much appreciated!

PS. I used the search function for past posts but I couldnt find any websites that you all recommended but I know I saw some

SilentStrike

Jun 18, 2000
Visit site
Find the best prices at Pricewatch.com, then go research the reseller at resellerratings.com. If the reseller has a rating > 6, they are a pretty legit business.

PS, buy NOTHING from markonecomputers.com. I had a very bad experience with them.

YoMammy

Defiant Lemming.
Nov 26, 1999
In a fog.
www.ecenet.com
I've built a few PCs from internet-order parts and here's who I've purchased from and have had no problems:

Accubyte
Axion Technologies
MicroPro
House of Computers
Thompson's Computer Warehouse

I have found all of the above to have very courteous staff and deliver when they say they're going to.

Go with the Abit mobo with the KT133A. This board is the OC'ers dream-come-true. Not so sure 512M or RAM is going to give you much more that 256. Put the extra money into a RAID HD system. Also, if you can't afford a GF2 Ultra 64 (Tom's gave the Elsa a good review), then buy a cheap MX and wait till the Ultra prices come down. The NV20 is going to be the next target for game designs.

Good luck.

Rooster

Local Legend
Jan 4, 2000
Fort Mill, SC
www.legionoflions.com
Personally, go with the Asus board. I went through TWO bad KT7's recently building my Dad's 1Ghz T-bird. Asus is just as good for o/c'ing.

I'd stick with 256MB.. or maybe 384Mb - what I have... 1 stick 256mb, 1 stick 128, leaves 1 (maybe 2) open.

RAID? Hrm... I've heard of a lot of people having issues with the KT7-RAID and Win2K. :(

Doesn't sound like he's super computer smart (no offense intended, some of us do this for a living) - so this may not be something he wants to do.

Marley -

I believe, a lot of places are shipping the CPU + Fan already attached to a motherboard (when you order a combo).

If not most, then I can check from a friend who's gotten 3 this way (for various people).

Installing a motherboard in a case is easy.

And you'll not likely find one reseller that sells all three cheaply.

But, I can recommend http://www.mwave.com - great service and you can just get a barebones system. Not the cheapest prices, but I've used them quite a few times and never a hassle.

Kudos to you for using the Search Engine! I could get to like you! (inside joke). :)

YoMammy

Defiant Lemming.
Nov 26, 1999
In a fog.
www.ecenet.com
Good advice Rooster. BTW, the KT7s you had trouble with, did these have the 133 or 133A? I think there were issues with some of the first ones, IIRC.

With respect to RAID & W2K, its debatable who's at fault there.

MarleyMarl

Proud NY'er
Oct 9, 2000
Long Island NY
Visit site
Thanks for the replies guys.

I'm checking out the mwave site and this looks like a decent set for me
http://direct.mwave.com/mwave/ViewB...o+your+basket&Back=ProdBAREBONE-AMDTBIRD.hmx?

(Not sure it that'll work for ya)

You were right, im not very hardware smart even though I work for the blue TLA company ;) I'm more of a software/web guy.

If the above link works let me know your opinion. (Rooster or whoever)

Thanks again!

I also have a Creative RIVA TNT2 that Im gonna still use for this new system and a creative SB Live! soundcard

MarleyMarl

Boom

Rumpshaking Moderator
Mar 28, 2000
Visit site
In this thread I give the exact specs of all my recent upgrade parts. Check it out. I got all my stuff from http://www.monarchcomputer.com

The mobo, proc and ram came all put together with a huge monster fan on the mobo. I had to get a new powersupply too. My 250 watt powersupply was fine for my PIII450, but it wasn't going to be able to handle the new 1.2 gig proc. I found a deal there for a 400 watt powersupply and cool case with fans for not much more than a 400 watt powersupply would cost by itself. Anyway, check out this thread for all the details including links to pictures and specs of the procfan and all the other parts.

FrAnK CaStLe

m-m-m-monster skill!
Nov 11, 2000
sandiego ca
cosmicmonstersinc.com>
I bought a cd-writer from mwave.com and it seemed like it took forever to arrive. They didnt e-mail right away for a tracking number so I was sort of paranoid. But I think it was just because it was one of my first big purchases over the net.

Mushkin is a good place to get memory. They hook you up with details right away and the package gets there when they say it will.

Binary Fission

Jul 1, 2000
www.provinggrounds.com
I got a KT7A-RAID with 1 Ghz last week from http://www.monarchcomputer.com . Haven't had any problems with it yet. The prices have been going up a little bit though lately. I think the 1.1s are more/money now.

You can get Micron 256 MBs of PC133 from http://www.verasoft.com for a great price. I ordered a stick from them about a month ago, and it's working great. The price has also dropped over $10 since I ordered mine.

I also found both of these places through http://www.pricewatch.com .