Ahhh!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

WaitThisIsn'tZelda

Feb 16, 2001
Visit site
Howdy all,
Sorry if this has already been posted on a million times, but I'm short on time:
I can play UT/DE/UR at pretty good resolutions, but every once in a while, my system locks up and the audio skips (like a broken record). I'm assuming that this is due to my *&@#$% voodoo 3 3k card (with 16 WHOLE MB's!!) overheating, running out of buffer, or just generally being possesed by satan... anyone else ever had this problem? Is my assumption correct?
Thanks guys
W

WaitThisIsn'tZelda

Feb 16, 2001
Visit site
AMD athlon (socket a)- 700mhz
Asus A7V
128Mb Pc 133
30gig hd
cd-rw
cd-rom
Voodoo 3 3000
Soundblaster Live value

The vid-card just sort of fell into my lap when I wa building my rig... would've gotten a geforce otherwise
Thanks for your help!

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Your Voodoo 3 card isn't underpowered by any means. It can handle UT just fine. The only way it is your card, is if it is defective or it is causing some kind of hardware conflict.

cryco

Quasi-Genius
Nov 23, 2000
Montreal, Canada
Visit site
Heh, that used to happen with me on my pre-upgraded system (asus p3B-f w cel 466 and TNT2)
If I'm not mistaken, it freezes and the sound just loops over and over on the same ~3 seconds of sound?

How I got rid of it? I had re-installed UT, then windows and the problem had apparently gone I way. It was extremely frustrating, cause everytime I would get into a heavy duty (bots at the time) November match, it would freeze. The problem came back.
Check your drivers. Shit, now I remember, my old network card screwed things up.... Check that. I also upgraded vid card at the same time, so check both.

WaitThisIsn'tZelda

Feb 16, 2001
Visit site
It does this with any UT engine game... deus ex, Ut, Ur, etc.
It's possible that it's an IRQ issue, but my system runs fine otherwise... My current theory is that the damn chipset is simply overheating (as this doesn't usually occur until 20-30 minutes into the game, with higher resolutions crashing in less time). Thing is, if this was normal/typical, you guys would know about it.... hmmm.
I'm counting the freaking SECONDS until the NV20's are released. Sheesh.
thanks for your input guys

OshadowO

Irregular
Feb 10, 2000
CA
Try playing without hardware and surround sound if you have it enabled. Also in your bios make sure your AGP is set to 2x and not 4x.

WaitThisIsn'tZelda

Feb 16, 2001
Visit site
I hate my life...

On a whim, I tryed playing Deus Ex last night after shutting down my cable modem... It played flawlessly for 5 hours straight (until I could no longer remain conscious)... sigh.
I think it might be IRQ-related, or simply some nosy program relaying system info (real player, anyone?) at a time when system resources are in high demand.
Well, I hope this info helps anyone else with this problem; I've yet to find an acceptable solution (other than disconecting every time I want to play), but I'll update here with any progress I have. By the way, anyone else heard of this problem with the A7V? There seems to be a huge variation in opinion of this board... Just my f@#king luck.
Thanks for your help guys