Is it just me.....?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Or do CTF-Terra and CTF-Overcast have some remarkable similarities? Take the declining ante-room behind the flags and the double incline to the outdoor exits, for instance. They're both great maps and they play very well (and differently), but I got an odd sense of deja-vu when I tried Overcast today. :/

garrett

dreaming lucidly
Aug 23, 2000
you aren't the only one who has noticed that, there was a big ol' thread on nc bbs months ago where we discussed that the author of may have copied brushes from akuma's map ctf-terra, he denied it but there were side by side screens of certain areas that looked pretty much identical even the trim and sizes etc.....the author said he 'borrowed' ideas from terra, but damn i don't see borrowing almost the whole base borrowing...but whatever...

SimplyCosmic

ERGO. VIS A VIS. CONCORDANTLY.
Dec 25, 1999
Northeast Ohio
www.simplycosmic.net
The National Mullet Support Group would like to have a word with you garrett about "borrowing" their haircut.

scsig78.jpg

XxBonesxX

banned
Dec 19, 1999
A grave Yard!
Visit site
I thought that they establised that he did infact copy from that other author? While were on the subjects of maps :) I played on one that was simular to facing 2 worlds, but was called CTF Facing the Bases only problem is when i do a search to locat the map to download the ones that are named that are not the ones that match that map! I really like that map it was a low grav map the stretch from the bases was solid rock but had alot of depressions on the ground that you could move through making it hard to hit anyone and the bases has to teleports to the top.. if anyone seems to know what I am talking about or knows the real name for that map let me know please :)

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
It's one thing to do a "Face" type map, and call it "Facing something". But there was no mention of anything like that in the read-me. It only took me about one run around the base to realize that "damn this looks familiar".

IF you haven't played either, I'd highly recommend gabbing them both. Terra gets played a lot more than Overcast (that I've seen). But, truthfully, Overcast is quite good...maybe even a little better. It just wouldn't be too cool if he used @kuma's brush work and didn't get permission.

Bottom line. If you like one - you must get the other. They're both that good.

[MUTTS] Das

Mar 13, 2000
Well, the other bottom line is that in this age of Napster, plaigarism, "stealing," "copying," etc..., are all widely accepted.

Since I'm an artist with a background in such things as licensing and copyright law, I often discuss issues of "copying" with people (what's legal, what's moral, and what you can get away with).

You couldn't even begin to know the kind of flames I get....