ARGH! It's just not meant for me to play UT!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Clayeth

Classic
Apr 10, 2000
Kentucky
THAT'S IT!!!

I get involved in the PuF ladder, and my harddrive dies... I get the replacement (they kindly made a mistake and sent me a 23gig instead of a 20) and I find out it may not have been the drive in the first place... My DMA/66 Controller chip is dead... and the mobo's warranty ran out about a week ago. So I'm running my HD on regular IDE (never really see a difference, except when copying files). I'd gotten a couple new games and had been playing them, with NO problems at all (Mech Warrior 4 and Red Alert 2). Then I install UT, download the Bonus Pack and INOXX, along with the newest version. Play a little single player, get all my settings right. But when I try to play multiplayer it starts telling me I'm out of virtual memory, and to free up HD space. BULL****! I have 18 fricken' gigs free, and 192 ram, I shouldn't even need any virtual memory!!!

So, I uninstall UT, Install the bonus pack and Inoxx BEFORE i install the patch this time, and start up UT. When I hit esc to skip the intro, GENERAL PROTECTION FAULT. I try 2 more times, SAME THING.

So, that's IT. I'm fed up with UT. Constant problems, tweaking, adjusting, some patches work, some don't, having to try 50,000 different renderer's to get one that works right. I'll still hang around here some, but I doubt you'll be seeing me playing untill Unreal 2 comes out.

If you want to suggest a fix for this feel free. I haven't been around here a lot so there might be something you all know about with this patch or something, but I really don't care right now. Maybe in a week or so I'll try another version... We'll see.

BTW, I wanted to put a TCD on here that signified that had something to do with "A pissed off PuF'er complaining about the magnitudes of problems with UT." But we don't seem to have one. We should also have one for when people announce their departure from PuF for a while... Been seeing a lot of those.

And to save myself from critisizm: I'm not saying UT sucks, It's a great game... it just has a lot of annoying problems.

And if you've read this far... well... you must really be bored!

SilentStrike

Jun 18, 2000
Visit site
Heh

"I get involved in the PuF ladder"

Don't worry, no one plays in the ladder anyway ;).

As for your problem, that sucks :(. You can try setting the virtual memory yourself. My computer, right click, performance, virtual memory. Set it up to a few thousand MB and hope that solves your problem.

8-4-7-2

Mar 6, 2000
Germany
Don't set it too high! 2-3 GB are more than enough! If you overdo it Windows can react with General Protections faults and BSODs, because it can't handle it

Clayeth

Classic
Apr 10, 2000
Kentucky
Well, it's odd. I'll probably figure it out pretty soon... whenever I decide to mess with it again. Maybe it's something with 436. I'd never really had any major problems with UT before, but a lot of other people have... I mostly just had a bunch of little things.

Clayeth

Classic
Apr 10, 2000
Kentucky
I fixed it.

I tried uninstalling/reinstalling again. After I uninstalled, i checked to see hhat was left behind. The cache, and 2 other things were still there. I'm guessing it was something I downloaded off a server, since It didn't do that the whole time. So I deleted everything that was left after the uninstall, and now it seems fine.

Stosh

A legend in his own mind
Feb 9, 2000
Southern MD, US
clanci.xgshosting.com
Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet

I come in here to help you, and the problem is fixed..

Hope to see you soon on the PuF ladder... Check over a the Fusion forums, I believe Goshen setup a F0 just for the PuF ladder.