Wanderer..Jenkins..Ari..Rain !!! Rain !!!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Xen

Nov 10, 1999
Visit site
Hello all,

I know I shouldn't ask this again but I've gone the forum for some infos to create rain in UT.

OK....I've managed to do it but the methods of using cylinders and animated textures really really really bumped down the frame rate.

So I decided to try WOT RainCyln classes....but I just can't find how to make it work. I've gone through the Intro Seq map to find out how, but still no luck.

I've posted some messages onto WOT Forums....but it seemed like nobody really knows how to do it !!!!!

Help !!!! Anybody

Thanx in advance,

Xen

Wanderer

Jul 7, 2000
If you're using WoT then look for a particle generator. You've gotta mess with that cause that's what's creating the rain.

I had some experience with C0mp's particle system and WoT's looked very similiar. Unfortunetly I don't have a copy so I can't really help much beyond that. Hopefully most of it should be relatively easy to understand.

Jenkins

America's Greatest Kitten Mitten
Apr 24, 2000
Irving, Tx, USA
jljenkins.cjb.net
What's the deal that I'm reading that people keep using cylinders to do rain? Is that the best way?

bullet2.gif

Jenkins

Wanderer

Jul 7, 2000
Jenkins:
No clue if it's the best way but what you can do is make a non-solid cylinder and add a texture around it that is meant for rain I guess it would work. But it'ld be much better to use WoT's particle system for such an effect.

Aridale N. Belmont

Nov 9, 1999
www.hexenworld.com
Every occurance of rain Ive ever seen in WoT is Rain Cylinders. Iver never seen a particle sprayer that does rain. The rain in WoT isnt meant to be used in large areas anyway. It was meant to be used like in the entry level with the holes in the ceiling and such. Not to make like ourdoor areas rainy. Thats one thing Ive never understood about the unreal engine. The modified quake engine used in Hexen II had rain zones. If you wanted it to rain it was just a simple zone properity. Why they didnt do that for the Unreal engine I'll never know. ::Shrugs:: I assume itd be possible to create a custom particle sprayer to drop "rain" sprites from the height at which you place it. Itd work just like a normal partical sprayer but itd just let gravity effect particals instead of shooting em into the air. ::Shrugs:: Its always possible to subclass Particle Sprayer and call it like Rain or something to that effect and then change its default props to make it "rain" and then add a hitfloor function in the code and tell it to spawn like a drop of water ripple animation sprite and remove itself when it creates it. Thats what COmpiles did. I could never get his to work though. I think I was missing some of the code from the Tut over at Chimeric. ::Shrugs::

Ari