Weird Problem, Plz Help

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Squeaky

Sep 4, 2000
Visit site
I just recently got a Asus A7V mobo and a t-bird 850MHz cpu. Everything is peachy, except when I first start it up I notice that when I turn the power on it makes the sound like its starting up for about 5 seconds. Then it goes idle and I push the power button normally. "Strange" I thought to myself, my other mobo never did that before. And now this happens everytime I turn the power stip on.

Ok so a couple days ago windows98se was doing some crashing and unusual stuff, so I decide its time to reinstall windows again (reinstall windows not reformat hd). So I start up with the floppy disk. It loads the drivers and such, and when I get the prompt I type in "setup.exe". ScanDisk runs, I have two harddrives C and D and they both check out. When it gets to my dvd-cdrom drive, E, it does some scanning then mysteriously my computer goes idle and the screen goes black. Just like when I turned the power on before, the hard drives are no longer spinning and it is silent. Except one thing has changed, the power button and reset button dont seem to work. "Whats going on?" I ask as I turn my power strip on and off and start the computer back up. I repeatedly go through this process only to arrive at the same result.

So I decide to put it off and try it the next day. Later that day while I'm playing UT and something crashes my computer. I must have had some other programs open, so I hit the reset button. I have Nortan System Works' scan disk replacing the Microsoft one when it restarts. So it goes into the Nortan scan disk. When it's scanning C the same thing happens, the whole computer apparently shuts itself down in the middle of scandisk. "Bah"

So the next day I try again to reinstall windows. I decided that I'd try to just use my C and E drives since thats all I needed, and I unplugged the other two. It gets through the driver loading and I type "setup.exe", blah, blah, blah. It goes into scanning C and midway through it shuts down the same way, computer off, moniter off. I decided to give it one more go. This time when its loading the drivers it shuts down. And here I sit in front of the screen, unable to reinstall windows typing this message.

Can someone please help me?
If it helps I have:
Voodoo3 2000
Sound Blaster Live! Value
Linksys Etherfast 10/100
Maxtor 20GB
Maxtor 10GB
Mat****a DVD-rom sr-8583
Creative CD-RW 8432E

Thanks

Do_Or_Die

Aug 1, 2000
This could be any number of things unfortunately. The first thing I noticed is that you have four drives in your system, are you sure you have a powerful enough power supply to run all of those? Have you had it setup like that for a while without any problems? If the only thing that was changed was the MOBO, then you might want to try and update the BIOS if you can get a new one from Asus's website. I have the same board with a 900 t-bird, but only two drives (a Pioneer DVD and Matrox 30GB HDD) but I haven't had any problems. Actually, scratch that, twice so far my computer rebooted itself. It's weird though because it only happened when I would try to run Age Of Empires II and for some reason it wouldn't load. I'd hit ctrl-alt-del and kill AOEII, but then the computer would reset itself after it killed AOEII. It's only happened twice though (and not recently) so I haven't given it much thought. Do you leave your computer on all the time? If so, it could be overheating I guess. Did you have this hardware working on another system before you got the new MOBO and CPU? If so, I'd get in touch with Asus and see what they have to say since that's probably the culprit. Obviously it isn't the two you unplugged since it still turned off. See if the C or E drives are the cluprit by disconnecting them and trying to use the others. Besides that I don't know what else you can do. I hope it helps, sorry I couldn't be of more help. Good luck with it. I know how frustrating it can be when nothing will work :p.

Squeaky

Sep 4, 2000
Visit site
Well I tried a couple things.

Flashed my bios~~~> didn't work
Tried running it on just my D drive~~~> Worked!

I actually got to the windows screens, and if I had continued, would have been able to install win (I hope!). So I guess when I get my new Hd I'll try it with that and I think my C drive is just a little pooped and needs a reformat.

Thanks for the help.