Llama-ness isnt just the people who play

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Mr Z

Dec 3, 1999
Visit site
Well I read the link and its obvious that they just don't play the game online. How can you judge a map or even make maps if you don't play the game online? Newbies :)

Morety

The Farterator
Feb 23, 2000
Toronto
www.legionoflions.com
They're looking at a map as a piece of art, and not the playability of it.

Everyone agrees it's a simple map.
People who've played it enjoy it.

It does not suck, and I certainly wouldn't refuse to play it because it's simple.

Just because you can play with your z axis doesn't mean it'll make it a better game. The ultimate decision as to how good a map is belongs to the people who play it, or don't.

I haven't loaded up a map of UT and stared at it for it's beauty in a long time. I usually play them once they're loaded.

Selerox

COR AD COR LOQVITVR
Nov 12, 1999
TheUKofGBandNI
selerox.deviantart.com
grrrrrrrr

I think those guys have their heads stuffed somewhere :( I think they're loosing site on what makes a good map: fun.

If a map isn't fun then it's a bad map imo. It doesn't have to look gret to be good. And for them to saying that it's a disgrace to the apping community is just plain out of touch. Amen DA, egos got hurt and they started bitching about it cos players like it more than their maps, it sucks :(

Arcturus

Not From Bloody Starcraft
Jan 23, 2000
Totally Not Korhal IV
Here's my two pennies :

CTF-Thorns is just one of those maps that dont look hot, but is quite playable, basically because of it's simplicity. It is also a good map for people with not much hardware, as the single room in the map does not put much strain on the GFX card. It's just one of those suprise maps that get really popular even though there is hardly any work put into it (well, that might be true, maybe the author thought about the design of the level and deliberately made it simple, but I'm not sure). Plus the level doesn't excactly look ugly and is neat and tidy, which is another good point (many other single room type levels have dog-ugly textures and horrid lighting)

As for the peeps at Nali City, they need to chill a bit. The map got popular because of it's simple design and fast pace, not because it's a beautiful complex level with ultra-high poly counts and not so hot playability that probably took 6 months to create. And the remark by someone about it being 'a throwback to 8-10 years ago', thats just dumb. The only way a map could become a throwback to the past is if it used a graphics engine of the past. I don't think it looks like Wolfenstein or anything like that at all. Anyway, I'm beginning to drag on...

My point is, CTF-Thorns is seen as a fun map by a lot of people, hence the popularity, it's just that some people need to chill out a bit just because there map didn't become as popular.

That's just my opinion anyway :)

-BHS-Snowdog

Aug 2, 2000
www.wuher.com
These guys are crying about 'lack of strategy' when that's actually the point of the map. Ever heard of 'tactics'? Thorns is a tactical map, not a strategic one. It was made to be played, not looked at. I wonder what these mappers would think if they knew what most of us ran our graphical settings at for playability's sake.

I honestly hope this spurs a wave of simple, tactical maps with similar playability. I can think of dozens of variations on this simple theme, but I have no skill in mapping (or the time for it.) I have a great respect for the folks with the creativity to create the maps we all know and love, and it seems like only a few have the combination of elitism and out-spokenness indicated by that thread. Perhaps the ones with this attitude have something to learn here.

Ryu101

Sep 11, 2000
Visit site
I agree with you as well, I just don't see how its possible to not like Thorns:)

Though a simplistic map, it holds a world of fun online, especially with a good crowd.
People should simply try a map, before they judge it.

DragonAsh

Hentai-like
Feb 10, 2000
but dont you see?
They are mappers. Vastly superior to us common folk. So obviously they know what they are talking about. We are but simple minded fol who dont know any better. We should let then guide the way....
...and while they are walking in front of us "guiding the way", I will take a running start and lodge my foot so far up their a$$es that their breathe will smell like shoe polish

BangOut_[EH]

...that funny smell
Apr 18, 2000
Fairfax, VA
Excellent

Originally posted by DragonAsh
I will take a running start and lodge my foot so far up their a$$es that their breathe will smell like shoe polish

I'm glad to see the voices of maturity have prevaled here.

Please do not mistake my comments for those of Nali City; I am but one person who frequents the forums and posts maps and I am not really a mapper nor am I one of their reviewers.

FYI: I do play online (http://ut.ngworldstats.com/fcgi-bin/Display?gt=UT&gm=ctf&uid=2510166&page=m&view=p) and I have played the map. I appreciate the debate but not the gross number of innacuracies and assumptions.

Shock6822

Cock of the Walk
Jul 2, 2000
That way ->
I agree with Ned....Thors is a REALLY bad map. IF you thought this was fun, you must have liked 2BigBoxes, TempleofGayness, Britney...and he's also right about your guys's attitudes...wtf is up with that?? I thought you guys were actually kinda mature, but I guess this has proved me dead wrong.

DragonAsh

Hentai-like
Feb 10, 2000
Glad you asked.
This is what we were trying to say in the other forum.
A critique is alright.
BAd structure, done in 5 min, lack of imagination, thats all fine.

But you have seen the posts. Hell, you have made them!

Quote from you
"the fact that anybody plays it is an insult to the mapping community"

that is not a critique, that is a personal attack on the person who made it and the people who play it.

Another quote by you
"I'm just saying it's a painful throwback to 8-10 years ago. This is like someone coming in here and saying, "UT su><, cum play Super Mario 1 and Contra with me!"

Have you ever thought this could be someone first map?
"Ut su><" ? Oh gime a break.

A quote from Shock:
"That map seriously needs to get Disownage at Decadence and be Crap Map of the Month"

A real review would say the mapper needs some work and if this is his early works, its a good attempt. Just not good enough to be spectacular yet. A 4 out of ten for originality and a 9 for fun factor.

Not "This is crap of the month" or "people playing it is an insult to the mapping comunity"

Thats a plain egotistical comment and pure jealousy as well that it is getting so much attention over a map someone would make using every single tool in the editor

DragonAsh

Hentai-like
Feb 10, 2000
So shock, in other words, if we liked 2big boxes or whatever the name was, we were gay for playing it?

Just like thorns?

Nigma:Mekanik

Maynards Tool
Dec 20, 1999
St.Pete, FL
www.eviloliver.net
cute....

Well, i could see why the l337 mappers would not consider this map less then crap. Its gonna be crap if you go in with the mind set that just cuz it maybe took 30min to make and is only a box. well your gonna not have fun with it at all!

If you notice, its mostly the Clan people that really like this map, you know why?
If you everplay on SwineOnline or XA servers, youll see the crap that goes on and understand why people are just tired the of portal camping, Deemer launching, Piston Jumping and spawn snipers.

Once you have to go thru all that, a map like this starts to be fun, only because its fast nonstop action, Teamwork based and really no where to hide or be lame.

Why is that so bad? oh god its simple so it must suck! pffft

Since this has pissed of all the Epic **** riders, i would like to see you quys make such a "Simple" map and see if its as fun. ;)

Are you mappers really geting this? the PuF have spoken and from what i see, Thorns 0wns. suck it down! ;)

I know, how mature huh, Shock? :p

Nig

[Ci]Mazza

Trigger Me Baby!
Mar 5, 2000
England
Visit site
i haven't played the map but i've only heard good things about it from everyone i've spoken to. Sounds like the guys who pan it have just lost sight of whats fun.

PS that sig is sweet DA :)