You all have DSL or Cable..don't you...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Milambyr

Oct 25, 2000
PA
milambyr1134.tripod.com
I'm just wondering, because when i play over my 56k modem i get my ass kicked, yet i can play the computer on inhuman and live. I just totally get smashed when I try to play multi-player (except on my LAN). How many of you actually do well in a 12 player DM game with a 56k modem?

You-Suk|BuF

Getting ready
just find the right server....without to much lag

i play 56k too, sometimes i get my *** kicked..but then
they are really better !!
got to SWORDS#2--> 56k modems only, cable and ISDN get kicked automatically

if you're lucky you have to play Evil_LarrE #3 rank

[Ci]Mazza

Trigger Me Baby!
Mar 5, 2000
England
Visit site
What modem you got? my Diamond Supra Express Pro 56e gives me sub 200 pings all the time, takes those DSL suckers who think ping is everything by suprise ;) I haven't come less than 3rd in 8-12 man DMs since i got it

Milambyr

Oct 25, 2000
PA
milambyr1134.tripod.com
Well I think it's my ****ty Lucent WinModem, win modems are the worst of all kinds, they really stress your processor, and with a pentium II 300 only it might be messin things up. I'm not sure...I know a lot of people are better than me too, but i'll get lucky if i can even kill myself with this lag. For me the pistol is useless, there is no way with the lag i get that i can shoot anyone with the pistol, nor the shockrifle. I did play a 6 player CTF match recently though and did fairly better than most, but i can not and never will be able to play with any kind of lag to my potential, that 1 second or less of lag is all it takes for me to die or for me to kill someone. I think i'm giving up on the 56k thing i think until i get DSL, i'll just beat on my LAN buddies (with a 46 ping or less).

[Ci]Morgan

McBain-like
Dec 1, 1999
The Netherlands
Visit site
I'm on DSL for some months now, but always played 56K before that... Still, with some modem tweaks and a good ISP I was able to get down to 120 ping times... I think it has to do with the quality of the phone line system and your ISP for a large part... but you can snoop of several MS by configuring your modem right (tweak).

[Ci]Mazza

Trigger Me Baby!
Mar 5, 2000
England
Visit site
I don't really agree with that Juice, FFA is hard to handle with a high ping. You get ppl comin at you from all sides and lag can really get you in trouble when you have to cope with those multiple attacks. At least you get some backup in CTF (or at least you should do ;) )

Insecta

Insectacidal
Jun 9, 2000
Switzerland
I have come second by two frags in a clan match on Koo's Galleon. Not a big achivement you say, but I had ping 500 with my 56k and they all had around 100. No, I do not usually get pings of 500, usually around 250 instead. I have one a few DM games, loads of LMS, and I can make captures in CTF all the time. To play well, you have to anticipate. Snipe only standing targets, shoot in front of the enemy at all times, etc. Spam goop, blades and rockets a lot, because it gives you a bit more chance. For flag capping, follow the man with the flag around. When he dies, snap up the flag and carry it back. Then you don't have to worry about the high ping enducing bases. I admit, you can not shockcircle or telewhore, but that's life, hey? Plus you can always complain ;). Play Instagib to improve aim. It's not all that bad...

HeltSkelt

Aug 24, 2000
Visit site
I'm on a modem...using a freeisp...and I do all right. having a low ping helps, but it isn't the only thing deciding wether you are good or not.

kamikaze9

Apr 29, 2000
Cable....

Got it a few weeks ago, and love it! Having 100 ping or less all the time is really sweet, I suggest all you 56k'ers try it ;)

(Sorry for the snooty tone, I got cable after months of 56k WinModem + Free ISP :shudder: )

Cable... mmmmmm...

I gotta agree... going to Cable from 56k was nearly a religious experience for me. If you have it in your area you really SHOULD get it. I pay something like $40/month for my cable modem access with 5 email addresses, which is the exact same amount I was paying before for ISP access ($19.95/mongh for my ISP, and a mimimum of $20/month for me second phone line).

I've been seriously considering getting DSL, but some of my clan mates are always complaining about "ping spikes" and "bad lag" across their DSL line... what's the experience REALLY been like DSL-ers? Has anyone out there went from Cable to DSL? If so, what differences did you see not only in UT but in browsing/other games and especially support?? My cable is thru Roadrunner, which, in my personal experience, sucks dead hamsters thru a garden hose support-wise... :(