98SE vs ME vs 2k Pro

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

verbal

Sep 26, 2000
Visit site
I used to run 98SE and had no peoblems with UT. I just installed WinME and multiplayer games don't run like they did in 98SE. I'm thinking about formatting and installing 98SE or 2k Pro. I know 2k Pro is much better than 98SE. Anybody have any experiences with 2k Pro and games? How do they run? Thanks for any help..

verbal

verbal

Sep 26, 2000
Visit site
what is the problem your having? The only problem I have is when I serve games and people join, my end starts getting choppy. even with one other person in the game..

verbal

Survey_Says

Anonymous-Like
Oct 30, 2000
Chicago, IL
Out of those 3 OS's I would say go with 98SE for the best performance. What are your system specs? I run win2k pro and think it is great, although it does need A LOT of ram.

Can't tell you how it runs with other games as UT is the only one I play!

{AoD}SNiPER

Sep 17, 2000
Visit site
I tried all 3 and for now till Microsoft release new updates, I can honestly say Win98SE is the best for UT no problems at all, and Taker Epic/Infrogames is not the problem, its WinME so when Microsoft gets their $hit together we can both reinstall WinME again :)

bertrahm

Nov 5, 2000
members.aon.at
UT on ME is OK with LAN-Games

As i have got other problems with UT and my LAN, i tried to change my OS from 98 to ME. It did not take any affects to my other problems, but one thing did work all the time:
To play over my LAN against my other PC.
So if you give me a few hints what doesn't work maybe i can help.

Imaginos

Deathball addict?
Sep 13, 2000
New Joisey, USA
Visit site
Win Me + v432 patch = no game

Drop back to 428. I can't see suffering for no reason.
There's the known issues w/the 432, most notably the difficulties you're having right now. I have multiple Win me machines running on the LAN when we game. 428 works, 432 doesn't. Yes, it's that easy.
Personally I'm turning into a Win2k pimp now, but it's not for everyone. So we wait for the patch. Why don't we sing a song or something? Here. I'll start..

Frag, frag, frag the boat....

Taker

UT Junkie
Re: UT on ME is OK with LAN-Games

Originally posted by bertrahm
As i have got other problems with UT and my LAN, i tried to change my OS from 98 to ME. It did not take any affects to my other problems, but one thing did work all the time:
To play over my LAN against my other PC.
So if you give me a few hints what doesn't work maybe i can help.

I can see the server listed but can not connect to it.....
Everything else works fine.(single player)
Taker

verbal

Sep 26, 2000
Visit site
My specs:
Asus P2B-LS w/ built in SCSI and Intel 82558 base 10/100 NIC
PIII-500
256 megs ram
V3 3500Tv
All SCSI
Cable Connection

When I serve a netgame, when somebody joins it starts getting choppy. Never did that with 98SE. I've tried all the patched from v4.20 and up but they all cause the same thing. I've followed the tweak page and tweaked my UT and WinME but it still happens.

verbal

Imaginos

Deathball addict?
Sep 13, 2000
New Joisey, USA
Visit site
Lan setup

We keep it simple. Everyone that jumps in on the game is running with a fixed IP. Typically 192.68.25.xxx subnet mask is of course 255.255.255.0
*NO GATEWAY* I cannot stress that one enough. There's no need to route outside the LAN during gaming.

All machines have client for ms networks with file/printer sharing service and tcpip is the only protocol. We often need to get all our maps and etc shared and dumped to everyone and that's the only reason for the service.
Server is usually whoevers box has the most horsepower.. Config, skins, mutators and maps all vary by whet we want to play for the session. Server and clients all run patch 428. No machines run any kind of winsock proxy clients of any kind to include MS WSP2.0, ISA firewall client, ICS, wingate, nothing.

Clean networking setup with no funny biz. We've never had a problem until the v432 came along. Then the skins and mods cause UT to just endtask and we're looking at desktop screens again. We ran 432 w/limited success with just the stock install and bonus pack. No other skins or mods (yawn). We could add maps all day, but any mod or skin package added anywhere fired up the crashomatic.

If I can help you out with your net settings, I'd be happy to. Just holler.